How regular are most womens' cycles? And since I'm asking, how long are yours? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Beets&Beats
  • 1 Post By Beets&Beats

#1 Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
How regular are most womens' cycles? And since I'm asking, how long are yours?

I'm really curious about the idea of regularity.
It seems likely that 'regular' actually just means a roughly similar time each month give or take days or a week. Is that just me? Nobody actually has regular cycles to the day, right? Ditto ovulation windows?

And since I'm asking, have yours changed length over time/with age/diet? The cycle as a whole, I mean?

Being a girl is weeeeird .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2016, 03:37 AM

2-8 months. Usually about 3-5. I have PCOS.

I've only been vegetarian for 2 months so I can't comment on any changes.
#3 Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Baby Love

I also have PCOS. When I was young, I could go months without a cycle. By the time I was in my early thirties, it was usually around every 6 weeks, but it varied a lot. I required meds to get pregnant the second time. After my second pregnancy (my daughter is 1.5 years old), my cycle returned very regularly at 30-31 day intervals. I am still breastfeeding, though, and I am curious to see if things change when she is weaned. I am 39 now, by the way.

Having healthy habits can help your cycles stay regular, but doesn't guarantee it. Exercising too much or being too thin can cause your period to stop (not a good thing) and being very overweight or inactive can also mess with fertility. Being vegetarian or not should not change your cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

I'm lucky that mine has always been really regular with minimal cramping etc. I'm honestly really bad about tracking it because it's so regular but it comes without fail every twenty-something days and lasts about four days. It hasn't changed much, the only changes I ever experienced were due to birth control like the morning after pill.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Thanks guys! I'm actually less curious about being veg changing cycles and more just whether or not anyone actually has regular cycles because I hear them talked about but nobody I know actually has one they can predict beyond the week!

So many people have PCOS! Wow, I feel for you! Although if you're not TTC infrequent light periods is possibly a good thing! hehe. Does PCOS impact PMS? When I was younger and having really irregular cycles I actually had PMS (suicidal on the same day every time but never realised. My partner did. Went from happy to crying hysterically in a heartbeat then back) but now I don't.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it and that's inspiring .
Good point too about healthy habits helping cycles be regular but not guaranteeing it.

Mine is 45 days give or take 5, my luteal phase is 20 days (!) and on the duration of the actual bleeding, as a sidenote, mine is 12 days and I have no idea why and dislike that...
#6 Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
So many people have PCOS! Wow, I feel for you! Although if you're not TTC infrequent light periods is possibly a good thing! hehe. Does PCOS impact PMS? When I was younger and having really irregular cycles I actually had PMS (suicidal on the same day every time but never realised. My partner did. Went from happy to crying hysterically in a heartbeat then back) but now I don't.

No, I almost don't feel it. The cramping is very light, if there is any at all. There's just blood, but it's two or three times a year so... And yes, I don't want it fixed soon, to be honest. What's TTC?
#7 Old 05-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Baby Love

This site is driving me crazy! I had a big long thing typed out and it decided to reload the page, deleting everything. Second time in as many days... Basically, the 20 day luteal phase should not be a big deal, but a 12 day period is a sign something is wrong. A doctor needs to check for fibroids, endometriosis, hormone issues, etc. Its also not a good idea to ignore infrequent periods due to long term damage caused by overian cysts, etc. TTC means trying to concieve. Are you TTC Beets and Beats?

Last edited by Jinga; 05-24-2016 at 09:23 PM.
#8 Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine average about 30 days, give or take 3. Higher end of that if I'm particularly stressed. 4-6 days of bleeding, migraines, and THE WORST cramps (thanks for that, mom).
#9 Old 05-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get periods anymore as I lost my ovaries and uterus at the age of 33, ten years ago. When I did have periods (I was an omni but avoided dairy/cheese for years due to intolerance) they were VERY regular, like clockwork, and average as far as bleeding, but they were incredibly painful. This was due to severe endometriosis. Sometimes they were so painful I would throw up, hyperventilate, pass out. This happened at work once (thankfully I worked in radiology near the emergency room) and I was given morphine in the ER to quiet it down and so I could breath again. I would get my period about every 32 days and it would last about four or five days. I would also have terrible nausea and fatigue during those times, and during peak ovulation (along with pain then too). For years I was labeled with IBS until I had a laparoscopy and they discovered endometriosis lesions on my bladder, uterine ligaments, uterus, left ovary, sigmoid colon.

I often wish I had gone vegan back then before consenting to having it all out. I didn't expect to lose both ovaries either. I suspect being vegan would have made a difference in the pain, but who knows. Surgical menopause was a complete nightmare for the first three years until I finally found an HRT my body would absorb and not suck up in two seconds. Without HRT I could not function.

It's always interesting to read how vegans experience menstruation.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I went veg in my 40s and had a very easy menopause at ~52. (58 now) My sister had terrible hot flashes and anger and stuff, i had a couple mild hot flashes early on, but no real issues. I have wondered if the veganism helped.
Naturebound likes this.
#11 Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmm, super interesting! I love hearing these stories! We're all in such different places!

Ledboots, I'm glad your menopause was easy and I bet veganism did help! I can only imagine full fat dairy and all the hormones (mainly estrogen) would add to typically menopausal estrogen dominance we Westerners are so prone to around those years...

Naturebound, that sounds AWFUL. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I have a close friend who spends 7 days vomiting like clockwork and as a bit of an emetophobe (is that a word?) it's my nightmare. Ha. I'm a bit nervous I have endo too, though. I've had really strange pain this month and a few other things this close friend experiences that I did too this time have made me wonder but then I hear the rest of her (and your) story and mine isn't HALF as bad as that. I think it's just that it's abnormal for me...

Jinga, I hate when that happens and am glad you kept trying! heh.
Yeah, I figured the luteal phase thing was ok but the 50 days thing is not. It's frustrating... when I was vegan and eating lots of soy it was regular and painless and I stopped soy because I was told it's bad for conception (yep, 3rd month trying! EXCITING!) and since then they've hopped between 39 and 50 days. Lots of good stuff has come out of that too though... I no longer get the epic mood swings beforehand and can always sleep and have no hot flashes. So... y'win some and y'lose some, huh?
The regular ones were 45ish too though. I suspect the 12 day bleeds are because for the first time in years I was loading up on fullcream dairy. It's kinda the only change I'd made. So cutting back on that this next month. If it ever starts over. Still waiting... sigh. Day...47.
I'm going to the doctor today. Just to make sure about those things you mentioned and others. I'm also going to try lunaception because light fascinates us in this house (astrophys partner changed all the lighting to red and my decades of insomnia stopped overnight, for example)...

Have any of you experimented with that?
Naturebound likes this.
#12 Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Mmmmm, super interesting! I love hearing these stories! We're all in such different places!

Ledboots, I'm glad your menopause was easy and I bet veganism did help! I can only imagine full fat dairy and all the hormones (mainly estrogen) would add to typically menopausal estrogen dominance we Westerners are so prone to around those years...

Naturebound, that sounds AWFUL. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I have a close friend who spends 7 days vomiting like clockwork and as a bit of an emetophobe (is that a word?) it's my nightmare. Ha. I'm a bit nervous I have endo too, though. I've had really strange pain this month and a few other things this close friend experiences that I did too this time have made me wonder but then I hear the rest of her (and your) story and mine isn't HALF as bad as that. I think it's just that it's abnormal for me...

Jinga, I hate when that happens and am glad you kept trying! heh.
Yeah, I figured the luteal phase thing was ok but the 50 days thing is not. It's frustrating... when I was vegan and eating lots of soy it was regular and painless and I stopped soy because I was told it's bad for conception (yep, 3rd month trying! EXCITING!) and since then they've hopped between 39 and 50 days. Lots of good stuff has come out of that too though... I no longer get the epic mood swings beforehand and can always sleep and have no hot flashes. So... y'win some and y'lose some, huh?
The regular ones were 45ish too though. I suspect the 12 day bleeds are because for the first time in years I was loading up on fullcream dairy. It's kinda the only change I'd made. So cutting back on that this next month. If it ever starts over. Still waiting... sigh. Day...47.
I'm going to the doctor today. Just to make sure about those things you mentioned and others. I'm also going to try lunaception because light fascinates us in this house (astrophys partner changed all the lighting to red and my decades of insomnia stopped overnight, for example)...

Have any of you experimented with that?
I use an app on my phone that takes much of the blue light waves out after dark. I think I am sleeping better now. We keep the house pretty dark after sunset because of the hot climate and power wasting. I am going to read about the red light thing now.
#13 Old 05-25-2016, 04:51 PM

I was super irregular until my twins (my only kids) were born. When my period started back up 18 months after the kids birth, it was still super irregular but cramps were very diminished. After the kids weaned, my periods became regular for the first time in my life! They still are, and my kids will be eight years old this year. It is so nice to know (within a day) when I will be getting my period. Oh, and I am 44 years old.
#14 Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Ladyfey, how rad to hear about someone whose cycle became MORE regular after childbirth, not less?! That's great to hear and yep, I can imagine it would be nice...

Ledboots, glad the app is working well! We use a program called Flux on our computers too (my partner is on his a lot late at night for work. Sigh.) and that's helped as well. Interestingly, I really struggled when I went straight to constant red light in winter and had to uncover (we'd covered our lights with orange celophane. Weird at first but got so used to it that now everywhere else seems blaringly white at night!) some during the day. We need blue/white light during the day! But it's not good at night.
There's a fantastic doco about light pollution and cancer and all sorts of things but I've forgotten the name of it...
Very reputable... but... I'll have to look it up.
LedBoots likes this.
#15 Old 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm.

I'm going to do two experiments!

1. Lunaception again. It's been a while. And it was totally awesome.

2. Push myself into a higher bodyfat percentage and BMI despite not really believing in 'norms' and see if things become more regular. Perhaps my epic bleeding is just because it has 50 days to build up...

It's a pain to be a girl but it's really interesting, no? Everyone has rhythms but ours are super obvious and that's cool!
#16 Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh WOOT!
I just had to say somewhere that instead of 12 days like the last 3 cycles... I just bled for 5. Bam! Yay!

Sure, it was day 47 again but maybe that's ok...
#17 Old 05-27-2018, 07:48 AM
A softball catcher

I have been having my monthly visits since I was 14 and my periods have become more regular since I turned 16. I usually have a fair amount of cramping and I get really moody when my period does come. I'm also currently on the pill. I get my period about every 30 days and it usually lasts about 5 days. I track my periods and have my BC reminders on my iPhone using the Period Diary app. It's really helped me with tracking symptoms and keeping up with taking the pill since I'm not the best at remembering to take it. Maybe it time to look for a different form of BC though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page