Late period - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm about a week late, and although my period is not always precisely regular, it has never been this late. Is it possible for stress etc. to cause it to be late? My boyfriend and I have been very careful with protection, so I'm sure I can't be pregnant. I just can't help but worry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

stress or strenuous exercise could affect it for sure, or a drastic change in diet. although condoms aren't 100% fool proof. I know how stressed you're feeling. wait it out a couple more days.
#3 Old 09-06-2004, 01:58 AM

Ditto to what sj said. Starting back to school, stress, etc. could all have an effect. I think docs usually say that *one* missed period is likely not a big deal, but if it's beyond that, then you should get things checked out.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I understand your concerns...but I also want to point out that if you're having sex, there's no way to be SURE that you're not pregnant.

I often skip a period when I'm extremely stressed out or when I haven't been taking care of my body properly. It's probably not something to get too worked up about.

However, if your boobs are sore at all, you feel nauseus, or you get moody, take a pregnancy test.
#5 Old 09-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. I was so worked up today that I went out and bought a pregnancy test that came up negative. I feel alot better now but I think I will talk to my mum about it Thanks everyone!
#6 Old 09-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i had a really scary time last year, the bf and i had just become sexually active, and we were using protection but unsure of it. i was about a week late for my period, and let me tell you i'd never been so scared. luckily it was caused by recent physical trauma (sprained ankle), change in diet (couldn't eat properly because i couldn't get food because i couldn't walk) and scholastic stress.

another interesting thing: your period is late, so you worry, and sometimes that worry can make your period even later. ain't being female grand?
#7 Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

i was a week late last month because of stress... annoying that our bodies don't stay on the perfect 28-day cycle that they should.

glad the test was negative.
#8 Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

whenever i'm a little late, i get a bit nervous about being pregnant (even though i'm also very careful), so i always take a pregnancy test. It has always come up negative, but it takes the edge off.

i usually miss a period due to stress.
#9 Old 09-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

another interesting thing: your period is late, so you worry, and sometimes that worry can make your period even later. ain't being female grand?

Yes I've noticed that too, silly aye

Thanks again- all you replies have made me feel so much better about the situation and that I'm not the only one who has been in there! I do feel stupid though for not going on the pill, even though we did use other protection. That's definately something I am going to do in the future.
#10 Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

A terrific book is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

While I wouldn't recommend that you use this method of birth control unless you plan to be ruthlessly devoted to it, it's a great book to curl up to at the library - the knowledge you'll gain about your own cycle will inform the panicky times so that you (hopefully) have a little less agita.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page