Bad hair stories - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, this could go in the Patch, but rarely, I believe, do men have the same type of hair horror stories as women.

I just got my hair cut yesterday, 3 days before I leave for college. I am not the proud owner of bangs. Not cute, whispy bangs, but falls-to-the-middle-of-your-nose, cut-straight-across, cannot-be-tamed curly bangs.

So what's your story ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so this story happened when I had hair down to my waist. It was summer and I was suffocating in all that hair. On an impulse I decided to get it cut...bad idea. I'd never been to a hair dresser so I didn't really know what I wanted, I just told her to cut it about chin length. It ended up being to the bottom of my ears and she shaved the back *scream*..It was too short to tie up or anything so I basically had a fit when I got home.
#3 Old 08-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a professional hairstylist.......if somebody tells me to do what *I* want to do, then I do it. Not without alot of "are you sure?"'s. I make it a point to discuss what I want to do, and usually I'm able to get out of my client what they really want. I hope you learned your lesson!!! If you give somebody the freedom to do what they want, chances are you won't like it.

With that said....I'm always willing to shell out hair advice. I specialize in color, and have been doing hair professionally for 10 years, but have been doing hair since elementary school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a bad hair experience on Saturday. I color my own hair. Just a nice natural looking reddish brown to cover my gray. I did a bad thing about a month ago (tried to lighten it a bit) and hadn't fixed it. So Saturday I went in to get my hair cut. I had long layers and I wanted it all one length. A nice sit at the shoulder length bob. No problem. She cut my hair just fine.

But the whole time she was cutting my hair, she was talking about my bad dye job. Roots that were lighter, etc. And how she could fix it. And how I shouldn't really dye my hair at home, blah, blah, blah. And how they were running a color special and she could dye my hair back to a uniform color that matched my natural. Ok.

She shows me the swatch, a nice medium brown with a reddish tint. Perfect.

My hair is not medium reddish brown. The two "strips" of hair closest to my face are black. The rest of my hair is very dark cocoa brown. AND to add insult to injury, she got color all over my forehead and the sides of my face. Which did not come off until like 3 days later. And I had to scrub my skin raw to get that accomplished.
#5 Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Should I tell you about the time my mom highlighted my medium/dark brown naturally curly hair when I was in high school and turned it a shade of orange/yellow that doesn't occur in nauture, or the time she highlighted it when I was in college and everyone thought I'd gone grey prematurely....OR, the time she highlighted it this winter (I'm 33 now) and only did about three pieces?

I now rely on a professional to maintain the color and cut of my hair.
#6 Old 08-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to get perms when I was in high school. Once my mom dropped me off at the salon and went to do some shopping, saying she'd be back to pick me up later.

The stylist, with only a teenage girl in her salon, spent most of the time chattering with her friend and not really paying attention to what she was doing. Soon after she put the solution on my head, my scalp started to feel like it was on fire. I told her about it, but she impatiently told me that normally it stings a bit and to not worry about it. She went back to her gossip session. I tried to tough it out a while longer, but after a few minutes I complained again. The stylist acted like I was a big baby, but came to check, then went all quiet and rinsed it out immediately. Then she tried to act like my scalp was just extra sensitive, everything was fine, etc. and styled my hair (all the while my scalp is so sore I have tears in my eyes).

I was never so glad to see my mom and get away from there. At home, Mom checked my scalp and I had raw, open sores all over it. I think the stylist, not paying attention, used full strength solution or maybe even the wrong thing. My scalp healed pretty quick. But my hair was totally fried, and started breaking off a couple weeks later... what a mess. I'd had bad perms before that, but never dangerous ones.
#7 Old 08-19-2004, 04:26 PM

When I was in gr 8 I was using a round brush to try and curl my hair into spirals. It was on the front section of my hair, and of course it got caught all the way up to the scalp. After trying to get it out using tons of conditioner, my mom had to give in and cut it out. The next day I had to get bangs to try and blend in the one inch long chunk, not pretty!
#8 Old 08-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man, I have really curly, nappy hair so I was always used to get combs and what-not caught in it. Once I got two combs stuck in there at the same time. I had to cut so much of my hair off. Ahh well.
#9 Old 08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I had a bad hair experience on Saturday. I color my own hair. Just a nice natural looking reddish brown to cover my gray. I did a bad thing about a month ago (tried to lighten it a bit) and hadn't fixed it. So Saturday I went in to get my hair cut. I had long layers and I wanted it all one length. A nice sit at the shoulder length bob. No problem. She cut my hair just fine.

But the whole time she was cutting my hair, she was talking about my bad dye job. Roots that were lighter, etc. And how she could fix it. And how I shouldn't really dye my hair at home, blah, blah, blah. And how they were running a color special and she could dye my hair back to a uniform color that matched my natural. Ok.

She shows me the swatch, a nice medium brown with a reddish tint. Perfect.

My hair is not medium reddish brown. The two "strips" of hair closest to my face are black. The rest of my hair is very dark cocoa brown. AND to add insult to injury, she got color all over my forehead and the sides of my face. Which did not come off until like 3 days later. And I had to scrub my skin raw to get that accomplished.

I hate when stylists insult peoples hair! Once, I wanted wispy bangs, and the stylist refused, because she said I would look ugly. GRRR! I'm going to beauty school in a few weeks, and I have sworn to myself that I will be nice to clients
#10 Old 08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

this was long ago, but i've always, always tried to keep my hair very long and twice when i was in elementary school, i got gum in my hair and had to cut most of it off.

my mom didn't really put any effort into helping me get it out, and just brought out the scissors, especially the time after i, umm, got gum in her hair. i was actually trying to throw it at my sister . . . that was one of the biggest, most mortified mental "oops" reactions i've ever had.

i mostly stopped chewing gum after those incidents.
#11 Old 08-19-2004, 05:32 PM

<<<been waiting 33 years for a "good hair day". 'nuff said.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 08-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

ok this is a bad hair day story of a different sort...

When I was a kid my mom and I were going to a baseball game and we stopped at the gas station and got some sunflower seeds...we get to the game and I notice that there is white stuff all over the sack that had my sunflower seeds in. So then we go sit down close to the bottom of the bleachers and I am sitting behind my mom and I notice something white in her hair... I nudged her and she said it was probably nothing... soon some of her friends came and sorta pushed me further down the bench.. I kept wondering what in the hell that white stuff was... so we leave and get home and later that night she goes to wash her hair and ewww she finds this stuff in her hair... which she soon realizes is bird crap...ewwww...she then gets mad at me because I didn't tell her!... But, but.. I did mom... she was worried all her friends saw the bird crap in her hair... which I am sure they did... I mean.. it was hard not to notice.
#13 Old 08-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent thread ...

Ok, about two weeks before junior high started, I went in for a haircut. I looked through the books and everything and settled on something that looked like the Rachel shag that we all know and love ... right?? Anyway, she didn't dry it there, so I went on home. When it dried, it looked like a giant curly mushroom on the top of my head. I was not nearly as happy as Bobo here.

Anyway, it was way too short to do anything with until like two months later. What topped it all off was we had to get pictures for the yearbook shortly after school started, so I have those lovely memories to treasure forever.
#14 Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerbaboon View Post

I hate when stylists insult peoples hair! Once, I wanted wispy bangs, and the stylist refused, because she said I would look ugly. GRRR! I'm going to beauty school in a few weeks, and I have sworn to myself that I will be nice to clients

My cousin has always had long hair (she's in her 40s) and once wanted to get her hair cut short for something different. Her stylist told her she'd "look like a butch lesbian" if she got her hair cut short.

Unless she planned on giving my cousin a buzz cut, she didn't know what she was talking about. Plus that has to be one of the most idiotic things I've heard.

fb, good luck in beauty school do you know what kinds of products you'll be using? I have been going to Aveda Salons for YEARS and absolutely love them. They have a great apprenticeship program, and all of the stylists I've ever had, even beginners, are incredibly knowledgeable and good at cutting/styling hair. They're required to attend workshops to keep up on new styles, and they know a lot about the products too.

Just a thought. I don't know where you're planning on going initially.
#15 Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

lol, marleah... man that sucks.

Like I mentioned, I usually go to an Aveda salon & pay $$ for a haircut. Well I was short on $$ a couple of years ago and decided to go to a supercuts type place. I said I wanted it trimmed up & styled nicely. My hair was pretty short already, but needed some trimming. So, she's trimming away, gabbing with her friend, trimming, trimming, trimming....

and pretty soon, I have the haircut of a 10-year old boy. I was so terrified, I cried all the way home. I mean, there's NOTHING you can do with short hair, except wait for it to grow out. It was terrible. I have paid $$$ for haircuts ever since then... but am growing my hair out so that I only need those cheapie trims every so often... short hair is NOT easy & cheap to take care of, I don't care what anyone says!
#16 Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

well, I put sun-in in my hair. It wasn't great. It was pretty orange.

I had bad hair in middle school 'cause I wore it up a lot and the break-away hairs always curled up and looked like horns. I take much better care of my hair now

I feel for you victims of bad hair!
#17 Old 08-19-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

<<<been waiting 33 years for a "good hair day". 'nuff said.

But I've been waiting 48 years, so if there's any justice in this unjust world, I'll get it first!
#18 Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

I'm a professional hairstylist.......if somebody tells me to do what *I* want to do, then I do it. Not without alot of "are you sure?"'s. I make it a point to discuss what I want to do, and usually I'm able to get out of my client what they really want. I hope you learned your lesson!!! If you give somebody the freedom to do what they want, chances are you won't like it.

With that said....I'm always willing to shell out hair advice. I specialize in color, and have been doing hair professionally for 10 years, but have been doing hair since elementary school.

I didn't tell him to do what he wanted, I told him longer bangs that I could sweep to the side, long enough to put behind my ear but not the same length as the rest of my hair. I even showed him a picture. But I don't know, somehow he didn't get the message

ETA: Also, I don't think I should have to 'learn my lesson'. If I'm paying someone $80 to cut my hair, I expect it to look good.

I told him I wanted bangs long enough to put behind my ear. While he was cutting my hair, he held up my hair and asked 'if this was a good place' to cut? Hello?! Is that not what I am paying him for?!
#19 Old 08-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

All of these stories just make me cringe!!! I've had my share of bad hair experiences....but let me tell you all a bad hair experience from a professional standpoint......it's awful!!!

So I'm at my first job in a hairsalon/beauty supply. I'm one of 2 stylists, and on this particular day, I'm the only hairstylist working. A girl comes in the store with her boyfriend (she's from out of town) and asks me about having her hair hilighted. I look at her overprocessed hair, and say "It's not a good idea. Your hair is dry from perms and and color...way too over processed." I proceeded to tell her that I was uncomfortable with coloring her hair (not to mention I never learned how to hilight hair with foil, let alone have ever performed that service on anybody before) She didn't care about my discomfort, said she had it done all the time (yeah! it looked like it). Her hair was down the middle of her back, frizzy/crunchy permed, way too light, and just downright nasty........but if she insisted, I'd give it a shot.

So, I apply the color, and felt very proud of my accomplishment after her head was full of foils. When the processing time was up, I took her to the shampoo bowl and opened the first foil packet.......to my dismay, the hair in the foil no longer resembled hair!!!! It was a glob of mushy white matter surrounded in a greenish juice. That's right folks.....I MELTED her hair!!! It was my first worst nightmare come true. I took the foils out, rinsed her hair down the drain...........I shampooed her hair and used every reconstructor conditioning treatment and cutilce sealer I could get my hands on......nothing was helping. I was on the verge of barfing...but I just had to suck it up and roll with the punches at this point. SO, I get her back to my chair and attempt to BRUSH her hair out so I can "trim" it.......LMOA!!!! As I'm "brushing" her hair, it's breaking of in clumps, and very much resembles slime at this point. I'm talking a million miles an hour to avoid the inevidable question from her boyfriend...dum dum dum dum....he finally pipes up and asks me the dreaded question "Why is her hair falling out in clumps?" Well....what do you say to that? "Uh....didn't you know it was all the rage!! No sh*t! Chemical haircuts are in"

Needless to say the waterworks began instantly...and with that, she left the building......wet, unbrushes hair with gummy clumps dangling from her head. It was a pathetic sight ladies....I wanted to DIE!!!!! I wanted to crawl up in a hole and never come out. It took me a year before I would do a weave again...but I can confidently say, that I have mastered foil hilighting. I'm the best in my salon....hands down.
#20 Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh Brownie...that really sucks!! It's common for something to get lost in the communication. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience.
#21 Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 PM

frenchie, I know it was a traumatic experience, but the way you told it, I had to laugh.
#22 Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

Oh Brownie...that really sucks!! It's common for something to get lost in the communication. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience.

thank you. Hoepfully when I get down to school I can sort this out wiht a beautician down there.
#23 Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL....I laugh about it now...and I was hoping to make you all laugh too
#24 Old 08-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

That was really funny Frenchie! Thanks for sharing. I (knock on wood) haven't had a really bad hair experience - I used to go in and actually want things that may be considered a bad hair experience (blue, green, pink hair, etc.) Now I just go to my one lady (who when I first started going to her was at the Aveda Salon here) and she knows what I like. Anyway, she's always telling me horror stories about difficult clients. I think the worse is when someone brings in a picture of let's say Rachel's hair and they have curly curly hair but insist they want it anyway.
#25 Old 08-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

once i went to the salon with this awesome picture of hair thats about chin length, and a little razored at the ends and is curled a little outwards so it looks all pretty, i show it to the stylist and she tells me how good its going to look on me and begins cutting...half an hour later i walk out of the salon looking like some sort of strange bon jovi/ mrs. brady hybrid. She actually poofed my hair up on top with the blow drier, it was the worst mullet i've ever seen on anyone. The only way to get it fixed was to go somewhere else and pretty much get my head shaved, it was by far the worst hair moment of my life.
#26 Old 08-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a few.

Once when I was on vacation a bird pooped in my hair, it was very unpleasant.

When I was little I used to get my dad to cut my hair, he'd just cut off however much I wanted, straight across. There was one time though, where he kept saying it was uneven so he'd cut off a little more. By the time he had finished my hair was about level with the middle of my ears.

I went to afterschool in kindergarden at the local YMCA. The people who worked there would put on a movie or we could play together on our own with toys. We were always in the gym, and right outside the gym there were candy machines. They had a few, one filled with Mike and Ikes, one with m&m's and one with these huge bubblegum balls. They were each only a nickel or so so my friend and I decided to have a contest. We were going to see who could fit the most gumballs, m&m's and mike and ikes into their mouth at once, then chew them up and blow the bigger bubble.

The combination of the candy by itself was gross, but when I had nine or so gumballs, nearly exploding out of my mouth, it was even worse. We'd both finally loaded up on our candy (she'd fit more in her mouth than me) so we blew our bubbles. They were huge. I remember hers being bigger than her head, and mine being close to that size too. Needless to say, both bubbles popped, completly covering our faces and a lot of our long hair. I smelled like a mixture of gum and peanut butter for weeks.
#27 Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was in beauty school I had one of the other girls bleach my hair and a lot of it broke off. I had to cut bangs witch dose not go well with my big fat head.

Oh weight one of my exs had me die my hair black. That was ugly. Then I tried to bleach it out it was fried and had to cut it all off. But the short cut looked really good.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#28 Old 08-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Once when I was on vacation a bird pooped in my hair, it was very unpleasant.

i had seagull poop drop down across my hair and dripping down my face, from two different seagulls in the space of a few minutes. and this was at school, in fifth grade. i've been pooped on by seagulls other places, too, just not twice in a row, and i have pet birds, so i've got a lot of experience with bird poop in hair.

Quote:
When I was little I used to get my dad to cut my hair, he'd just cut off however much I wanted, straight across. There was one time though, where he kept saying it was uneven so he'd cut off a little more. By the time he had finished my hair was about level with the middle of my ears.

my dad would always do that, and while he never did it that short, i'd get several inches more than just the trim i wanted. i learned to only let my mom trim my hair.
#29 Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I have been vistiting my family this week and felt like the need to change my hair. So my mum tried to convience me to get this little girl down the road to dye it. I was like no way- it's either me or the hairdressor. (If it went wrong, I couldn't really complain to the girl) My hair is like ultra thick, long and a bit on the dry side. Anyway in the end we got a home highlighting kit and my mum did it for me. The highlighted bits were blue (when applying it) so you could see what you where doing. Mum put a bag over my hair to stop it getting messy.

So anyway the highlights had no effect at the back. At the front it had worked pretty well. Except instead of highlights- it was patches. One side was almost completely bleached and the other had random dots. It was very light and didn't look natural at all. It just looked silly. I then found out I had a job interview.

I told my mum honestly, but nicely how I felt about my hair. Soon it was a hair emergency and she phoned one of her hairdressing friends. She gave some advice- but doesn't do dying. So in the end I went to a hair saloon and got it done professionaly. They tried to dye it back to my own colour as well as adding highlights.

I've had some nice comments- about my hair today- so I guess it's better- and I certainly feel happier about it,

Kat

PS- Also had sun in hair disastors- so should have learned about home bleaching.
#30 Old 08-21-2004, 04:28 PM

the only hair disaster i can think of is when i first wanted to dye my hair red, and my cousin tried to do it. It turned really green, but I strutted with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page