Period very late - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Everyone,

I've been working hard to lose my post-baby weight in the past couple of months, going for walks 5 x/week and really concentrating on eating healthy foods, no junk food, and only eating when I'm hungry. I've been losing weight steadily but definitely not too fast, about 6 pounds per month. I still haven't lost all my baby weight so I am most definitely not underweight! Anyway, I am already a week late for my period and no sign of it. I've had no cramps, no bloating, no sore boobs, etc etc. I know I should do the obvious and take a pg test but I have no signs of pregnancy either. Do you think my exercise and weight loss could cause me to skip my period? If so is this dangerous? I really want to lose the baby weight and think I am approaching it in a very healthy way, I haven't been restricting my diet (except no junk food) and my exercise is not rigorous, just taking my baby for walks around the neighborhood. Anybody experienced this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Banned

Are you breastfeeding? My sister didn't get her period back until she stopped breastfeeding.

Also, weight loss and change in diet can definitely make your period late or stop it.

Is it possible you are pregnant, though?
#3 Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 AM

Hi there, a lot of exercise and weight loss can cause a disruption to your usual cycle because it increases levels of testosterone in the blood, so what with that and your having recently given birth, that's probably all it is. But to be safe you probably should have a pregnancy test anyway. Hope all is well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

No I stopped breastfeeding 3-4 months ago. I got my period back the month I stopped breastfeeding so I have already had it 3 times, at least. I guess it's possible that I'm pregnant although my husband and I have been very careful. It's just that I don't feel AT ALL pregnant. Last time I got very very crampy and really sore boobs before my period was even due. I knew I was pregnant right away. This is nothing like that. I feel really great, actually! Just worried...I'm really not ready for another one!
#5 Old 08-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

It is possible that your body is just adjusting to lots of changes and this is way your period is late. It sounds like you are taking off the weight in a healthy way. Are you using any contraception? I would just do a pregnancy test to rule out the possibility. Sometimes a 2nd pregnancy may be completely different than a 1st and this is why you don't feel like you did when you knew you were pregnant the first time.

Good luck.
#6 Old 08-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

No I stopped breastfeeding 3-4 months ago. I got my period back the month I stopped breastfeeding so I have already had it 3 times, at least. I guess it's possible that I'm pregnant although my husband and I have been very careful. It's just that I don't feel AT ALL pregnant. Last time I got very very crampy and really sore boobs before my period was even due. I knew I was pregnant right away. This is nothing like that. I feel really great, actually! Just worried...I'm really not ready for another one!

Is your pee greenish yellow or regular pale yellow? Greenish yellow was alway the first thing I noticed when I was preg.
#7 Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't really noticed me pee color!...lol

Okay, I'd better go pee on a stick before I drive myself crazy! PG tests are just so darn expensive!
#8 Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Where do you live colorful?
#9 Old 08-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Seattle area, u?
#10 Old 08-02-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

I haven't really noticed me pee color!...lol

Okay, I'd better go pee on a stick before I drive myself crazy! PG tests are just so darn expensive!

Cheaper then kids at least

If you were using protection, then you probably aren't pregnant and just adjusting. Let us know.
#11 Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

I wanted to add, also, that your weight loss seems to be at a good rate. 6 pounds a month is actually a lot. Don't push yourself too hard.
#12 Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

we've been using condoms...but very carefully! Yeah I don't think I'm pregnant...it's probably just my body adjusting to the weight loss. thanks for the encouragement, Artichoke! My baby turns one today and I'm ready to have my figure back! Almost there...
#13 Old 08-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Good job with all the hardwork getting your figure back.

You probably aren't pregnant and it's just your body adjusting to lots of things happening. Have you been stressed lately?

I was just asking where you lived because if you were in Canada, you can get pregnancy tests done at the doctor and since we don't pay for regular doctor's visit.

Getting the pregnancy test done is worth your peace of mind.

Give your body a few more day and I'm sure you're period will be arriving.
#14 Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if you went to a pharmacist and explained that you don't have the money to buy a pregnancy test, would they do one for free. I wonder if they have any BHG strips that doctor's offices have. It might be worth calling about.
#15 Old 08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a pharmacy in Canada (which I know, is completely different than the US), and we do pregnancy tests, but you have to pay for them.

Maybe a family planning clinic, like planned parenthood, would do it for free?
#16 Old 08-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry guys, must have given the wrong impression! I was just complaining about the cost of pregnancy tests...having taken quite a few of them in my day! I can definitely afford to go out and buy one, I was just whining! thanks for the suggestions though
#17 Old 08-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I understand colorful; the money could be spent are more exciting things!
#18 Old 08-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

well, Ladies, I finally pee'd on the stick and it was negative!

So that's ruled out...I don't know what the problem is but in the past when I have had a pregnancy scare, sometimes my period started as soon as I took the test, probably because I stopped stressin'. I'll just wait it out for the next few days...thanks a lot for the advice girls!
#19 Old 08-03-2004, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy for you. Stress can do weird things to a body. I'm sure you're period will be here soon. Take care.
#20 Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

11 days late and still no sign of it...is it possible to skip it altogether?
#21 Old 08-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, definitely.
#22 Old 08-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

But you need to see your Dr. if you skip more than one or it happens again later.

Stress can stop it.

Poor diet can stop it.

Extreme physical exercise on a long term basis can stop it.

Uterine cysists, ovarian cysists, pituatary gland misfunction, and worse can stop it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page