Any (women) who don't shave? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

#1 Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM
No flesh since 99'

Any (women) who don't shave?

The longer (and by longer, I mean it's been years now) I go without using beauty products, cosmetics, perfumes/deodorants, hair products ext... the more I'm reaching a point shaving seems pretty pointless as well (in the rational part of my brain at least). I'm already pretty 'natural' as is, but I have continued shaving my legs, bikini area and underarms. I don't know why after I let go of so many other societally-imposed beauty 'rituals' so long ago this one is the one that lingers. It's not like my husband cares either. I guess I'm just afraid of strangers judging me (not that I *should* care too much about that as I'm sure they already judge me harshly as-is). Just curious if any other women out there no longer shave and how much do people really notice? Do you frequently have to deal with ridicule or 'mean' stares?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 PM

I probably wouldn't shave down below if the feeling of hair just being there wasn't painful and annoying to me. >_<
#3 Old 06-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've gone all winter withouth shaving, same as last winter. I did like how after it all grew out it was no longer sharp and coarse and pokey. I wanted to like the whole thing, but I don't. Every time I looked at my legs I was not happy. I just don't like the way human hair looks on limbs, just dark and sparse. A shame too, because since I've started the summer shaving season I again get the red dots, and prickly fresh cut hair. I don't like that either, but I like the look of shaved legs so much more.
I don't like the way underarm hair looks either. It just grows to a point and I think it just looks smelly, or ready to pick up fuzz.

Anyone do something besides shave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm in exactly the same situation. I feel compelled to keep shaving even though I find it tiresome, my husband doesn't care, and it runs counter to my ethics (not the act of shaving itself, but the idea that a woman must shave to be beautiful/acceptable/clean.) I'm too entrenched to stop right now, but I'm not proud of it.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#5 Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 PM

Yeah. I don't think there's anything wrong with having preferences, (red hair, strong arms, green eyes, etc) But there is definitely something wrong with having those preferences as expectations.
Kiwibird08 and no whey jose like this.
#6 Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes, I go a bit too long without shaving my legs. Simply out of pure laziness. I only wear pants anyway (even when I shave). However, I do prefer my legs without hair.
I do shave my underarms often, though. I find underarm hair unattractive even in guys (unless it's very little).
Kiwibird08 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#7 Old 06-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

For anyone getting those red dots have you tried using a safety razor? It has really helped me with irritation. Plus the blades are extremely cheap compared to the cartridge system.
#8 Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM
No flesh since 99'

Lucibow- I agree with my more 'southernly located' hair being uncomfortable, especially when it's hot out, and I likely wouldn't stop shaving those areas for the comfort factor alone.

I guessed I lucked out on the genetic lottery that my leg hair is so light and fine, you can only see it when the light hits it (I don't shave my legs in the winter and only need to every other week or so in the summer). It's the unshaved armpits that 'scare' me to leave unshaved lol. That hair you would definitely be able to see. I also don't wear perfumes or deodorants (and never plan to again), so it does concern me (though I've heard having unshaved underarms actually make you sweat less, thus smell, less). It's kind of crazy the internal battle though about something completely natural to my body.
#9 Old 06-17-2015, 06:23 PM
cinnamon bun

I almost never shave, sometimes under my arms. I just don't because I don't want to or like to, and I think every woman should choose if they want to shave for themselves. I don't think women should have to shave to be considered "clean", it's such a misogynistic idea. My boyfriend does not care, he's hairy himself and I would never expect him to shave his body if he didn't want to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a shaver, for sure. My skin is quite pale, and my body hair isnt soft. So off it goes!

Because of my super sensitive skin,I cant shave super close like some people can, so its not like I am ever completely smooth.

I conform to a lot of social standards, I am clean, smell nice, brush my hair,wear clean clothing, etc.... I consider shaving to be a part of that.
#11 Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 PM

i never shave, just because i cant be bothered to... i dont see any reason for me to other than 'society tells me to' so i skip it :'p
VeganWytch likes this.
#12 Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I shave and pluck and wax (though am tempted to try threading) and put cremes on.

I don't like any of my hair, unless it's on my head.

With that said, there's been times when I've straight up forgotten to shave and no one's said anything to me. I've noticed women with unshaved legs and while I've stared because it's something 'different', it's not something I've been disgusted by.

I say trial it. See how you go with your unshaven legs! If someone takes issue with it, tell them to get lost.
#13 Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Banned

There's no doubt that there is a definition of beauty to conform to, fashion within that beauty and some do's and don'ts with regards to how we appear both clothed and nude.

Whether or not these stem from higher up the chain of command i.e. imposed upon us, or whether they popular preference i.e. most people agree and share that view, is a matter of contention.

If you genuinely want not to shave any area then I doubt anyone will physically force you to do so, it is however a question of personal perception with regards to that aspect of personal care. Be it by social indoctrination or by the evolution of mass opinion, for better- for worse, the fact is people generally hold views as to what is and is not acceptable, they do judge people based on their appearance. If you wish not to shave your underarms, that's your choice but if those area's are going to be made visible to everyone else then you are putting yourself in the situation where people may or may not stare, judge and even comment. Rightly or wrongly that is the world in which we live. If you wish to protest at this aspect of human nature and societal norms then by all means do so, be prepared however to attract attention and all that goes with it. While not being female I do empathise with the aspects of appearance (and all the work that entails) that it seems women must conform to in order to function within this society, make no mistake about it however men too are placed under pressure to look and behave a certain way etc as well, increasingly so it would seem.

My personal view (be it my own or socially indoctrinated into me) is that a woman can do what she likes, that doesn't mean in the case of underarm hair that she has to show it off, if one does so then they can expect that many people with our society will find it unusual, some will be attracted, some will be repelled, some will be kind, some will be rude,....such is the world, if you put it out there it will be noticed. Whether you can handle that and consider not shaving as to your betterment that you do not care of others noticing, only you will know.

If it's merely down to some kind of protest at the world then I think it's somewhat misguided personally, I'm not suggesting that is the case with yourself and you certainly can but equally why do we have to wear clothes at all? why must one shower/bath? why can't people be all be touchy-feely or keep themselves to themselves? I mention these to highlight that there are many area's of life you could argue and/or protest about but none the less we understand why things are the way they are and that there is consequences for challenging them good and bad.
#14 Old 06-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerBoots View Post
If it's merely down to some kind of protest at the world then I think it's somewhat misguided personally, I'm not suggesting that is the case with yourself and you certainly can but equally why do we have to wear clothes at all? why must one shower/bath? why can't people be all be touchy-feely or keep themselves to themselves? I mention these to highlight that there are many area's of life you could argue and/or protest about but none the less we understand why things are the way they are and that there is consequences for challenging them good and bad.
Mmmm, yes, I remember a time I protested the killing of animals, by not eating animals. Totes misguided.

:P

Given that your body has not been policed in the same way women's bodies have been (I'm not saying men don't have pressures, they do), then I don't think you can really speak to what is a 'misguided' form of protest, by women, about the way society views their bodies. Especially when those protests make people do exactly what they're meant to do- Think about the differences we have decided exist between men and women.

For example, women who go topless to protest the fact that a woman without a shirt on is seen very differently than a man without a shirt on, are not misguided. They are women pointing to the fact that when their chests are exposed it's 'revealing themselves' but when a man has his chest exposed, it's acceptable and certainly not seen as a crime. Given that you have not had the experience of being a woman in that situation, you don't get to say whether it's a misguided protest or not. Rather, I would hope that you would look at a protest even if you think it's misguided and ask yourself why that protest is happening.

As for washing and being touchy-feely..... People should wash because it's not only offensive not to, it's also not healthy not to. Hygiene has helped us not die of lots of things. We should continue to do that. Touchy feely, depends on the way you define it, but I see it as someone getting in my personal space and touching me.....That's very different from someone not shaving their legs.
#15 Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Mmmm, yes, I remember a time I protested the killing of animals, by not eating animals. Totes misguided. (not what I said and as each instance is different the validity of each form of protest may be different)

:P

Given that your body has not been policed in the same way women's bodies have been (I'm not saying men don't have pressures, they do), then I don't think you can really speak to what is a 'misguided' form of protest, by women, about the way society views their bodies (So what's the point? If men cannot have an opinion or discuss it why bother? Are they meant to sit and be preached to? Who is preventing a woman from not shaving her pits?). Especially when those protests make people do exactly what they're meant to do- Think about the differences we have decided exist between men and women. (You mean like the social eradication of violence as a means to achieve a goal because it favours men and the utter lack of recognition that women use manipulation on a regular basis?)

For example, women who go topless to protest the fact that a woman without a shirt on is seen very differently than a man without a shirt on, are not misguided. They are women pointing to the fact that when their chests are exposed it's 'revealing themselves' but when a man has his chest exposed, it's acceptable and certainly not seen as a crime. Given that you have not had the experience of being a woman in that situation, you don't get to say whether it's a misguided protest or not (so once again I'm to be preached to, I am to consider that point of view and not question it, discuss it and offer opinion?). Rather, I would hope that you would look at a protest even if you think it's misguided and ask yourself why that protest is happening.

As for washing and being touchy-feely..... People should wash because it's not only offensive not to (why does someone expressing their choice in refusing to wash offend you? it's their choice *common feminist argument reversed*) , it's also not healthy not to (matter of debate). Hygiene has helped us not die of lots of things. We should continue to do that. Touchy feely, depends on the way you define it, but I see it as someone getting in my personal space and touching me.....That's very different from someone not shaving their legs (Yes however the point was to highlight that there are many societal rules we follow while not everyone agree's with them, several of which are in place for similar reasons as shaving yet no large movement is on the horizon to highlight it, remember I'm not saying a woman has to shave, I simply am saying I'm not sure it's something to protest about and I don't think not-shaving is something to do purely to protest something, it is after-all a right you already have, the world will like it or not, why do they have to like it?) .
*sips tea*
#16 Old 06-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Given that your body has not been policed in the same way women's bodies have been (I'm not saying men don't have pressures, they do), then I don't think you can really speak to what is a 'misguided' form of protest, by women, about the way society views their bodies (So what's the point? If men cannot have an opinion or discuss it why bother? Are they meant to sit and be preached to? Who is preventing a woman from not shaving her pits?). Especially when those protests make people do exactly what they're meant to do- Think about the differences we have decided exist between men and women. (You mean like the social eradication of violence as a means to achieve a goal because it favours men and the utter lack of recognition that women use manipulation on a regular basis?)

For example, women who go topless to protest the fact that a woman without a shirt on is seen very differently than a man without a shirt on, are not misguided. They are women pointing to the fact that when their chests are exposed it's 'revealing themselves' but when a man has his chest exposed, it's acceptable and certainly not seen as a crime. Given that you have not had the experience of being a woman in that situation, you don't get to say whether it's a misguided protest or not (so once again I'm to be preached to, I am to consider that point of view and not question it, discuss it and offer opinion?). Rather, I would hope that you would look at a protest even if you think it's misguided and ask yourself why that protest is happening.

As for washing and being touchy-feely..... People should wash because it's not only offensive not to (why does someone expressing their choice in refusing to wash offend you? it's their choice *common feminist argument reversed*) , it's also not healthy not to (matter of debate). Hygiene has helped us not die of lots of things. We should continue to do that. Touchy feely, depends on the way you define it, but I see it as someone getting in my personal space and touching me.....That's very different from someone not shaving their legs (Yes however the point was to highlight that there are many societal rules we follow while not everyone agree's with them, several of which are in place for similar reasons as shaving yet no large movement is on the horizon to highlight it, remember I'm not saying a woman has to shave, I simply am saying I'm not sure it's something to protest about and I don't think not-shaving is something to do purely to protest something, it is after-all a right you already have, the world will like it or not, why do they have to like it?) .*
So to put this in perspective.....

You came to the women's part of the health forum, to a question specifically asked of women, to give your opinion about what women should protest about in relation to women's bodies. Then when someone pointed out that you have not had the experience of living in a woman's body, so therefore don't get to tell them what to protest about, you get upset. On the women's side of the health forum, on a question specifically asked of women and not of men.
#17 Old 06-17-2015, 11:49 PM
Beginner

@RiggerBoots I would suggest keeping your female-related issues to the Feminism thread, or any other thread that isn't under the 'Women's Health Issues' category...
no whey jose and BlueMts like this.
#18 Old 06-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
So to put this in perspective.....

You came to the women's part of the health forum, to a question specifically asked of women, to give your opinion about what women should protest about in relation to women's bodies. Then when someone pointed out that you have not had the experience of living in a woman's body, so therefore don't get to tell them what to protest about, you get upset. On the women's side of the health forum, on a question specifically asked of women and not of men.
Not upset, merely discussing a subject raised for debate, but as my opinion, points and discussion is invalid on the basis that I'm a man I'll leave.
#19 Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
@RiggerBoots I would suggest keeping your female-related issues to the Feminism thread, or any other thread that isn't under the 'Women's Health Issues' category...
Discussing a matter which I seen in the 'recent discussions' list is a sign of my female-related-issues now? Words fail me at this point but congratulations the combined effort on here has strengthened my views on feminists. On that note I shall say no more on it and I don't expect to read anymore condescending digs aimed at me on the matter.
#20 Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
On that note I shall say no more on it .
Well thank goodness for that.
#21 Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

MOD NOTE:

The guidelines for this subforum specifically ask that men not post in this area.

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33...uidelines.html

Please read and respect these guidelines. This is supposed to be a safe place for women to discuss very personal issues related to being female. Thank you for understanding.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#22 Old 06-18-2015, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I epilate ... when I remember to. I'm naturally a brunette with pale skin - but my leg hair is super fine (and patchy) and fair so I ignore it most of the winter. I also epilate under my arms (there's really not that much hair there) about oh er ... once or twice a month in summer less in winter. Bikini line - I give it a neaten up come summer but it's generally au natural (I do trim it quite close once a month - especially after the tampon string and hair entanglement debacle).

The lovely fiance is easily scandalised by underarm hair (which makes me laugh) but the rest doesn't bother him.

Of course I was brought up on the continent (and spent many years in Germany - where shaving was less popular) so depilation's always been a bit haphazard. Though if it's a special occasion (like a wedding or something) I will make the effort. It's sort of a ritual of getting ready.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#23 Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Discussing a matter which I seen in the 'recent discussions' list is a sign of my female-related-issues now? Words fail me at this point but congratulations the combined effort on here has strengthened my views on feminists. On that note I shall say no more on it and I don't expect to read anymore condescending digs aimed at me on the matter.
Just to be clear (as the one who asked the question), I'm not a 'feminist' (or at least not the type your referring to) and I wasn't offended by what you said. I grew up around "good ol' boy' type men, so for the most part (unless some truly offensive stuff), men's 'opinions' go in one ear and out the other (though I see you've offended quite a few other members).

I do, as mentioned, try to keep it pretty natural though. I am very distrusting of beauty products because they have so many unnatural chemicals, and even 'natural' or 'organic' ones are still not a natural thing to put on your body. To me, not shaving really wouldn't be some kind of 'protest' of "male-imposed bla bla bla...", just more of a question of "what is the benefit of it?" and "did mother nature intend for me to shave?". There really doesn't seem to be a benefit, beyond society says so (and putting $$$ in the razor companies pockets) and it certainly isn't a natural thing to do. Bathing and grooming are both natural behaviors observed in many species (and are essential), but shaving or hair removal (besides natural shedding)....not so much. It's just kind of strange to me though that it seems like my personal fear of being 'judged' (which we all are, all day, every day in this plastic perfection-obsessed society) is so much greater with this than the many other things I do (or don't do) that I'm already harshly judged for. That's all.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 06-18-2015 at 05:28 AM.
#24 Old 06-18-2015, 05:26 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
I epilate ... when I remember to. I'm naturally a brunette with pale skin - but my leg hair is super fine (and patchy) and fair so I ignore it most of the winter. I also epilate under my arms (there's really not that much hair there) about oh er ... once or twice a month in summer less in winter. Bikini line - I give it a neaten up come summer but it's generally au natural (I do trim it quite close once a month - especially after the tampon string and hair entanglement debacle).

The lovely fiance is easily scandalised by underarm hair (which makes me laugh) but the rest doesn't bother him.

Of course I was brought up on the continent (and spent many years in Germany - where shaving was less popular) so depilation's always been a bit haphazard. Though if it's a special occasion (like a wedding or something) I will make the effort. It's sort of a ritual of getting ready.
I kind of like this method/idea of only shaving when it's a special-type occasion and otherwise letting it go. I haven't completely shunned all 'societal norms' (yet) but do lean towards natural usually being the best option.
no whey jose likes this.
#25 Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't shave my legs much in the winter which is nice because the hair keeps my legs warm!!! I stopped shaving below the belt as well because I feel more comfortable with a little carpeting there. Otherwise my skin there gets itchy and irritated.
Kiwibird08 and MadamSarcastra like this.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#26 Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Hum. Is this even a "women's health issue" ? Besides cutting yourself or pouring hot wax too fast, I don't really see...
Anyway, I'm biologically female so I guess I can post here.

I used wax during teenage, but never in the pubic region. I cut the hair in my armpits with scissors but leave a "decent length" so they're soft and comfortable. I waxed my legs two years ago because I wanted to wear a skirt in a special context, now it has grown again, it's very soft and nice, my parter likes it that way. I'm wearing shorts as often as possible. I swim in shorts and T-shirt outside, shorty bikini inside. Never any nasty remarks, besides from my family, but if I would listen to them, I would still eat meat once a week.

Women here (France) seem to mostly use creams and waxes and electric stuff. They seem to use the razor mostly for the armpits or when they don't have time to do the other way. They generally avoid shaving because they'd rather not have beard growing on their body two days after.

I don't find shaved legs pretty and it scratches when we touch them. I hope it is not the same with pubic hair (woooooo running around in panic).

Bon appétit !

Last edited by Ad Elie; 06-18-2015 at 02:35 PM.
#27 Old 06-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
Hum. Is this even a "women's health issue" ? Besides cutting yourself or pouring hot wax too fast, I don't really see...
It's certainly a woman's issue, but I suppose "health" is debatable. Mental health, maybe-- societal pressure and all that.
#28 Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 PM

Personally I still shave because I prefer the feeling of being freshly shaved. Like you, it's pretty much the only standardized beauty ritual I still go through. However, I'm pretty sure the last time my sister shaved was . . . Maybe her wedding? And then she got professionally waxed, not shaved. We recently went to the beach, and her legs were a good deal hairier than her husband's. You know what though? No one said anything about it, and she even got hit on by some high school seniors who refused to believe she was a 26-year-old mom. I don't think anyone else looks at our bodies as critically as we do, so we should probably just do what makes us comfortable. If you want to stop shaving, there couldn't be a better time to do it. Apparently unshaved pits are trending right now.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#29 Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I shave under arms more out of habit I suppose. My partner doesn't give a flying f*** if I have hair anywhere. This shaving of the genitals though? I only recently found out from one of my daughters that it was quite normal and to say I was shocked was an understatement. Why the **** would you want to do that? I've just returned to Scotland from living in a country where I spent most days in the sea or by the sea and did it ever occur to me that the odd hair enjoying the fresh air was a total no no? What do you think????
Kiwibird08 likes this.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#30 Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherea View Post
I only recently found out from one of my daughters that it was quite normal and to say I was shocked was an understatement. Why the **** would you want to do that?
This is probably waaaaaaaaaay too much information, but since you asked:

Even though I like it aesthetically, I hate the way it feels. It's thick and course, and there's a heck of a lot of it. If I let it get back to a "bush" state I become hyper-aware of the way it lays, almost to the point that it's painful. I also prefer the sensation of a fresh shave during intercourse as opposed to the friction created by hair down there. My current partner doesn't care one way or the other, but I can't say I've never been pressured by a partner to shave or wax. It sucks when someone else tries to tell you what to do with your body, but at the same time, I've gone down on a woman who didn't shave her nether regions, and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Honestly, that got me to shave on a more regular basis than anything a partner ever said to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page