Shaving - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Are there any particular products you can use before during or afterwards to minimize the bumps and the itchiness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that using mens aftershave works well, although I haven't tried it yet. I have used a product called Tend Skin. You can buy it online, but it's a bit expensive. It does prevent bumps, though. Right now, I'm using something called "Bump Stopper". It's in the mens shaving section of the store. It comes in a tiny bottle, you only need a little bit. I put the stuff directly on the bumps and they go away in a day or two.
#3 Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I only get the bumpies in the bikini area. Ouch! Bikini Zone makes it not hurt, but it doesn't make the bumps go down at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

neosporin after shaving helps a little, thats really the only thing I've found that works at all.

When I tried Ouch! it just made the bumps sting a WHOLE lot, but it didn't make them go away at all.
#5 Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Tend Skin for my bikini line.

Here's my email to them:

Quote:
Dr. Rosen,

Are Tend Skin products tested on animals? Are animal by-products used in the ingredients? I hope the answer is no, because your lotion has helped me tremendously. Please let me know.

Christy *****

His reply:

Quote:
Hi Christy,

Thanks for the inquiry! I own the company, and I'm also a PETA member and a

vegetarian. So, you can safely conclude that there are no animal derived

ingredients in any of our products.

As for animal application, the product was not tested on animals, but it is

'used' for animals. Go to www.vetskin.com and see for yourself.

As a twist on cliches, the product was "tested on humans" for use with

animals! How does that sound? maybe we should make up a T-Shirt??

Thanks also for letting me know the product has helped you!!

Kindest regards,

Dr. Steven Rosen

Pres.

Me:

Quote:
Dr. Rosen,

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm glad to know you are cruelty-free.

If you haven't already, I encourage you to license the trademarked Leaping Bunny Logo to assure myself and other concerned consumers that your products are certified free of animal testing. To find out more about this program contact the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics at (888) 546-CCIC, or visit them online at www.leapingbunny.org.

Thanks again,

Christy *****

Him:

Quote:
Hi Christy,

I am two letters from suppliers away from PETA certification as cruelty free. I never heard of the CCIC, but will check it out!

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

Steve

That was March 6, 2003. I'm not sure of the status. (This was probably overkill, huh?)
#6 Old 07-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Aveeno shaving stuff for skin that freaks out, or something. I like the almondy smell It seems to work quite well, not that my skin freaked out to begin with... Its also important to make sure you're not shaving with a dull razor. Its very irritating!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any good advice - my skin has a tendency to "freak out" as r_c put it Some of these products look good - but $20 for the Tend Skin is way more than I can afford.
#8 Old 07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to get lots of bumps after shaving, but now I don't anymore- it's kind of a mystery. There are some things I've changed about my routine, though, like r_c mentioned never shaving with a dull blade, exfoliating before, and letting my legs alone after I shave them, like not putting any mosturizer or lotions on after I shave. If you shave in the shower it's also supposed to help, because the warm water makes your pores open up or something so the hair comes out more easily...I think I've read that somewhere. good luck!
#9 Old 07-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't shave every day, or even every other day, so that reduces the amount of irritation I have due to shaving.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I only get the bumpies in the bikini area. Ouch! Bikini Zone makes it not hurt, but it doesn't make the bumps go down at all.

Yes, that's where I've been having trouble. It being summertime and all with the short-shorts, and the swim suits...

It might be worth it to try that other product mentioned. The expensive one.
#11 Old 07-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Cissy, that stuff lasts a long time. But I only use it on my bikini area.
#12 Old 07-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

You know, I used to get bumps under my arms and in my bikinni area, but I expiramented with shaving in the opposite direction, meaning in the direction my hair actually grows instead of against. That helped tremendously in both places. Particularly under my arms where I used to have pretty serious bump issues. The only problem with this is that the shave isn't quite as close. But I think when you shave in the wrong direction, the hair gets displaced in the shaft and 'stuck' in there and that's what causes the bumps.
#13 Old 07-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

You know, I used to get bumps under my arms and in my bikinni area, but I expiramented with shaving in the opposite direction, meaning in the direction my hair actually grows instead of against. That helped tremendously in both places. Particularly under my arms where I used to have pretty serious bump issues. The only problem with this is that the shave isn't quite as close. But I think when you shave in the wrong direction, the hair gets displaced in the shaft and 'stuck' in there and that's what causes the bumps.

I've seen this suggestion in many magazine articles, but it seems like it would be difficult to get rid of all the hair when you shave in the direction of the growth.
#14 Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Another suggestion that has helped is to shave every day. It is supposed to toughen the skin so it is not so sensitive.
#15 Old 07-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

every day. on my bikini line? ouchie wa wa!
#16 Old 07-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I do it (well, almost every day). I first tried it last year for a few weeks before I was supposed to go swimming, and it helped along with the Tendksin.
#17 Old 07-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i'll just take some motrin and a couple shots of rum and i'll try that.
#18 Old 07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I do it (well, almost every day). I first tried it last year for a few weeks before I was supposed to go swimming, and it helped along with the Tendksin.

Oh my GAWD! Do you promise my skin is going to clear up eventually if I keep doing this every day? I look like (I'm sorry guys) a plucked chicken! I picked up some Bikini Zone at Walgreens as it was the only thing they carried for this particular problem, and it does help immediately with the pain, and seems to help the swelling and redness go down after a couple hours. Every time I shave it seems like my skin gets rawer and rawer though. Luckily I'm not going to the beach until the end of this month, so I have alot of time to clear up this issue.
#19 Old 07-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it should. I used Bikini Zone, too, but the Tend Skin worked better for me. Maybe you could try shaving every other day until it has calmed a bit, then try every day.
#20 Old 07-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

neosporin after shaving helps a little, thats really the only thing I've found that works at all.

When I tried Ouch! it just made the bumps sting a WHOLE lot, but it didn't make them go away at all.

this just helps the skin heal over the hair causing more ingrovn hairs. unless you cut yourself never use neosporin.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#21 Old 07-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Silky Underwear dusting powder from Lush on my bikini area. Keeping it dry seems to prevent a lot of the bumps etc. but I also don't shave against the grain there. It's just not worth it.

Alpha hydroxy lotions work for my legs, though.
#22 Old 07-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I can only shave my bikini area once a week or it bleeds too much. On holiday i obviously shaved more regular, every other day, and just put up with the bleeding. But since i don't wear bikinis a hell of a lot here in north-east england, i just stick to once a week. Even if i waited 6 days instead of 7, it's a blood bath!! It still bleeds a bit after 7 though. My hair starts growing back the next day! I hate shaving!
#23 Old 07-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Banned

I was using a depilatory, but then after about a year or two, my skin got used to it and I had to leave it on longer, causing irritation and redness. Now I shave about every 3 days, but I will try that every day (starting with every other day) suggestion. I usually use my Zero Zits cleanser that I use on my face and back to cleanse my bikini area every day, and that helps to keep the bumps from occurring.

I don't understand what people are talking about when they say it bleeds a lot. I could see having one bloody bump with a tiny bit of blood, but that's all that's happened to me. And I don't find it painful, either.

I guess it's best I don't know where this blood is coming from, as I am squeamish times 10.
#24 Old 07-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone tried any of the hair removal creams?
#25 Old 07-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

I don't understand what people are talking about when they say it bleeds a lot. I could see having one bloody bump with a tiny bit of blood, but that's all that's happened to me. And I don't find it painful, either.

It's like almost every hair follicle in my bikini area bleeds after i've shaved, and if i look away for a minute then look back, the whole area is covered in blood. After the bleeding stops and i'm out of the bath i have tiny red spots everywhere where the follicles have stopped bleeding. That's what it's like at it's worst. If i wait a week then i have about 6-10 bleeding follicles.

My legs aren't like that, although i try to only shave them once a week too, cos they're very sensitive. Typically they're very hairy too (thick, dark hair), especially my calves. I can only ever wear a skirt on the day i shave, the next day i have a couple of millimetres of hair in some areas on my calves. Hair removal cream doesn't work on my legs, it leaves them all patchy, and i don't think i'd ever get them waxed cos i'm sure my skin would come off too!!
#26 Old 07-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Bikini area is my biggest issue. But yes it is VERY important to use a sharp razor or its inevitable-sp? you will get bumps and irritation. I tried the every other and everyday method but it never worked for me. So now I do it about once a week and tell hubby to live with it lol Well, exhubby now but we still have sex occationally Safer than strangers lol Fortunately hes never been big about me needing to be hairfree all the time.
#27 Old 07-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I noticed that some hair was "peeking" out of my bathing suit bottom, but even with a brand new razor, I have tons of little irritation bumps. I think it might be due to the fact I have sensitive skin in the first place (I get the little bumps on my legs/underarms too, but not so bad). I think I've decided that if someone is that close, they probably don't care that much anyway
#28 Old 07-18-2004, 07:40 PM

I can have problems when I shave in my bikini area, too.

I've found that making sure the area gets soaked in warm water for a while helps a lot. I only take showers, so I'll put on some Kiss My Face shaving cream at the beginning of the shower & leave it on while I do everything else. The very last thing I do is shave that area. Then, I put facial night cream on it first thing when I get out. It really does make a difference.
#29 Old 07-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Beginner

I've just had my first bikini shaving expirience yesterday. Everything is fine except the area feels sorta pricky (eeek) any of you guys have this problem??? What do you do??
#30 Old 07-20-2004, 04:36 PM

too get rid of the bumps, right after i shave i rub on pure tea tree oil....it burns like hell but it works. no bumpies.

~Glamboy (puts hand in undies to see i if....*looks over shoulder* oh, look! a kitty.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page