Anyone use a ovulation microscope? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shallot

#1 Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM
No flesh since 99'

Anyone use a ovulation microscope?

Since going raw vegan last summer, I have been getting progressively lighter periods. From my understanding from a lot of long time raw vegan women is they tend not to get periods or just get very light periods, yet are still ovulating monthly and able to get pregnant. I am maintaining a healthy weight and feel amazing, so I really feel the lighter periods are a sign of improving health, not poor health. I am slightly concerned though that A. they may become so light/go away and B. that means I would no longer have a "sign" that I was ovulating or if I did get pregnant (not trying to, but surprises can happen). I want to make sure I'm still ovulating, but don't want to mess with all those strips. I saw these ovulation microscopes on amazon and am wondering if anyone who is vegan or raw vegan specifically has used them? I would bet good money omnivores have "stronger" hormonal fluctuations than vegans do so before wasting my money I wanted to know if they worked According to some reviewers, you also saw changes in your saliva if you got pregnant, so I figured these would be kind of killing 2 bird with one stone so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry no - in fact I had to go look these up! I'm using the strips (and they're ok - not too messy but a bit fiddly) because it's measuring actual hormone levels. My concern with the microscope is that it would rely on my being able to correctly identify what fertile/infertile looked like from the start - though in my case I'm more concerned with the fertile bit.

All that being said I'd be interested in any other views on this.
#3 Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Beginner

I just discovered these today because my BBT thermometer isn't as reliable as I'd hoped (apparently I'm 96.58℉ at all times!) My cycles have never been light, but they do seem to be getting longer (which may just be because it's winter. Who knows?) I think we should probably both go see doctors for our concerns, but I'm a busy woman and I don't have time for that! A microscope sounds more environmentally friendly and way less messy than peering on a stick every day. I'll check it out and get back to you in a month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Haha, just recently I was randomly in the mood to get in an argument with someone about raw foodism and menstruation. Not say you are that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I saw these ovulation microscopes on amazon and am wondering if anyone who is vegan or raw vegan specifically has used them? I would bet good money omnivores have "stronger" hormonal fluctuations than vegans do so before wasting my money I wanted to know if they worked
Strong hormonal changes are a good thing a certain points in the cycle, such as around ovulation.

I want to try out an ovulation microscope but I haven't gotten one yet. But I have been tracking my fertility with the symptothermal method for the past 25 months and my charts show 25 ovulations! I don't have ideal hormones/charts but that's why I started charting in the first place. I don't think my hormonal issues are due to an animal-free diet as my main issues, period problems, were worse when I ate animal products.
I've used the LH strips and I don't think they are messy, I'm just too much of a procrastinator to use them every cycle.

A healthy menstrual flow can be anywhere from 5 to 80 mL. 5 mL = 1 teaspoon.

There are several ways to tell that your body is gearing up to ovulate but just because your body is preparing to ovulate does not mean it will ovulate. A lot of people have cycle problems from the body repeatedly trying to ovulate but it rarely/never can. Ways that don't confirm ovulation include home urine tests for LH and estrogen, cervical mucus, cervical position, ovulation microscopes, ovulation pain, and having bleeds (not all uterine bleeding is menstruation). If, however, you have a repeating pattern of having a bleed about 2 weeks after a fertility tool or cervical mucus determined ovulation to be then I think it could be safe to assume you are ovulating. But the only ways to confirm ovulation before you menstruate are to test the progesterone level, an ultrasound, or by seeing a sustained rise in basal body temperature (BBT).

The elevation in BBT is a response to an increase in progesterone; since menstruation is triggered by a drop in progesterone (thus a drop in temp) and pregnancy would mean sustained/increasing levels of progesterone (so no strong/continual temp drop and even increasing temps) tracking BBT might give you the info you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookgirl View Post
I just discovered these today because my BBT thermometer isn't as reliable as I'd hoped (apparently I'm 96.58℉ at all times!) My cycles have never been light, but they do seem to be getting longer (which may just be because it's winter. Who knows?)
That's a shame, I hope you get it sorted out. I don't trust digital BBT thermometers, I know there are good ones out there but the only thing that can go mechanically wrong with a glass one is that it breaks (which I've done...).

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#5 Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Lovable misanthrope

I've tried the microscope and found it useless, was not helpful to me at all. The sticks on the other hand were very accurate and easy to use and interpret

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#6 Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post
Haha, just recently I was randomly in the mood to get in an argument with someone about raw foodism and menstruation. Not say you are that person.

Strong hormonal changes are a good thing a certain points in the cycle, such as around ovulation.

I want to try out an ovulation microscope but I haven't gotten one yet. But I have been tracking my fertility with the symptothermal method for the past 25 months and my charts show 25 ovulations! I don't have ideal hormones/charts but that's why I started charting in the first place. I don't think my hormonal issues are due to an animal-free diet as my main issues, period problems, were worse when I ate animal products.
I've used the LH strips and I don't think they are messy, I'm just too much of a procrastinator to use them every cycle.

A healthy menstrual flow can be anywhere from 5 to 80 mL. 5 mL = 1 teaspoon.

There are several ways to tell that your body is gearing up to ovulate but just because your body is preparing to ovulate does not mean it will ovulate. A lot of people have cycle problems from the body repeatedly trying to ovulate but it rarely/never can. Ways that don't confirm ovulation include home urine tests for LH and estrogen, cervical mucus, cervical position, ovulation microscopes, ovulation pain, and having bleeds (not all uterine bleeding is menstruation). If, however, you have a repeating pattern of having a bleed about 2 weeks after a fertility tool or cervical mucus determined ovulation to be then I think it could be safe to assume you are ovulating. But the only ways to confirm ovulation before you menstruate are to test the progesterone level, an ultrasound, or by seeing a sustained rise in basal body temperature (BBT).

The elevation in BBT is a response to an increase in progesterone; since menstruation is triggered by a drop in progesterone (thus a drop in temp) and pregnancy would mean sustained/increasing levels of progesterone (so no strong/continual temp drop and even increasing temps) tracking BBT might give you the info you want.

That's a shame, I hope you get it sorted out. I don't trust digital BBT thermometers, I know there are good ones out there but the only thing that can go mechanically wrong with a glass one is that it breaks (which I've done...).
I didn't consider a glass thermometer at first because my niece likes to play with everything, but I'm sure I could keep it out of reach. Do you use a regular glass thermometer, or one specifically made for taking your BBT?

Also--and I hope this isn't asking for TMI--do you take your oral, under arm, or rectal temperature?
#7 Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

There are ones specifically made for BBT, regular ones usually are in 2 tenths of a degree F increments, the BBT ones use 1 tenth. I use Geratherm and I bought it of off Amazon.com (twice).
For me there's no such thing as TMI when it comes to health. I actually temp vaginally. It always just seemed to make more sense to me even before I knew that was something that other people did. Oral is annoying and rectal seems like it would be uncomfortable. That way also work out very well when I moved from digital to glass therm. because the glass one is bigger and it takes 3 minutes to register the temp.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page