I finally bought a Moon Cup. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By River

#1 Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I finally bought a Moon Cup.

I've been off the depo shot for four months now, and I can feel my period come back in a few days. I've decided since I probably won't be having sex for a long while and don't need to put my body through the depo shot, I should deal with having a period again. I didn't like Luna pads because I just feel they got... icky after a while, and I'm not going back to disposables.

So I have invested in a Moon Cup! It's been a while since it has been discussed, so I thought I might raise the issue anew. Diss anyone else use a Moon or diva cup? Experiences? Still prefer Luna pads or disposables? Why?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I once tried a Diva Cup and had a terrible experience, ended up sending it back. I have used washable pads for over a decade, but a couple of years ago I started having problems with my periods. I tried a box of Soft Cups and they are wonderful! It s a similar concept to the Moon Cup, but a different design. Much easier to get them in (in my case, I can actually get them in - I couldn't get the Diva Cup in). Also they are not leak proof, but still, they make a big difference for me. I can tolerate having a period again.

I don't care for the idea of having to throw something away every month, but for me, this seems to be the best option.

About pads - if the cup works for you, you might not ever need pads again. But if you want to try some reusable ones again, mine are from a company called TLC pads. I Don't know if she is still in business, it was a lady who did her own design out of her own home. I like them because they come completely apart and that makes it a lot easier to get them totally clean.
#3 Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

I started using a DivaCup over 8 years ago, a Keeper Moon Cup about 5 years ago, and I got a FleurCup back in the spring. My transition to cups went pretty smoothly which was great considering I didn't use tampons b/c they made my cramps worse. I was happy with both the Diva and the Moon cups but it wasn't until I started researching recently that I learned that they didn't have the best design for my needs. I ended up going with the large Fleur, eventho I haven't given birth and I'm under 30.
The Feurcup is great for me! High capacity, holes very high up, a broad bottom so those times my cervix goes in the cup (not everyone has this problem, not sure how common it is) the cup has a lot more room for flow then the pointed cups.

But I couldn't get away with just a cup b/c my flow was so heavy. So I used disposable pads as back up and after about 6 months I switched to cloth- LunaPads. I used Luna products for about 7.5 years but in the beginning of this year I decided to try out different brands. I liked the idea of LunaPads; since I was using them to back up a cup I liked that I could change the inserts instead of a whole pad. That saved me some money (and I bought the stuff when it was on sale) but the base pad would often get soiled, usually just on the bands, which defeated the purpose or meant I didn't have a completely fresh pad when I changed the insert. I like the pads I bought this year much better. They're all the all-in-1 style and the are much thinner then the LunaPads at the same absorbency. Cloth pads feel so much better than disposables to me so I'm glad I switched for a number of reasons.

I hope your transition to the cup goes well, there will probably be a bit of a learning curve. If you haven't already check out the menstrual cup livejournal, there's tons of info there. One great thing about cups is you can were them just incase or if you think you've started your period but it turns out to be just spotting. That will probably benefit you since your cycles might be a bit wacky as your ovaries 'figure out' what to do again.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Beginner

I've been using a Diva Cup for four years now, and I love it. They're so cheap and hassle free! I've only ever had one leak once because I forgot the turn. I even wore it swimming with sharks, I'm so confident in it. They're incredibly comfortable once you learn to put them in properly, and they're nowhere near as messy as you think. I don't like to empty it in public, but they can go quite a who'dwithout being emptied. Another slightly grosser upside is that the diva cup has a measuring line, should you be interested in measuring your flow.
#5 Old 12-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not ready yet for a cup but two days ago I received my first washable pads made by a very talented lady on Etsy: Yurtcraft. Flawless sewing, they are a beauty and were sent with a how to care little card (seems pretty easy). First time I'm eager for my periods to try them haha.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#6 Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 AM
Potatotarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I once tried a Diva Cup and had a terrible experience, ended up sending it back. I have used washable pads for over a decade, but a couple of years ago I started having problems with my periods. I tried a box of Soft Cups and they are wonderful! It s a similar concept to the Moon Cup, but a different design. Much easier to get them in (in my case, I can actually get them in - I couldn't get the Diva Cup in). Also they are not leak proof, but still, they make a big difference for me. I can tolerate having a period again.

I don't care for the idea of having to throw something away every month, but for me, this seems to be the best option.

About pads - if the cup works for you, you might not ever need pads again. But if you want to try some reusable ones again, mine are from a company called TLC pads. I Don't know if she is still in business, it was a lady who did her own design out of her own home. I like them because they come completely apart and that makes it a lot easier to get them totally clean.
I had a diva cup for a few years (3?). I had some issues with it (cramping, leaking, etc), but it was ok. Then I lost it. I didn't want to spend another $30, and found the softcups. So much easier and more comfortable. You're supposed to throw them away every day, but they're plastic, plastic cleans. I wash and re-use. I use one all day, and at night I take it out and wash it and hang on a hook in my shower to dry, and use cloth pads at night. I have no idea how long one will last, but I typically use one for 2 or 3 cycles. Eventually they get discolored and I toss them out. They cost $6 or $7 for 14 so one box lasts forever.
#7 Old 04-10-2015, 03:30 AM

I have been using Cupissima cup for about 5 years, these are really good as it is helping me up to 12 hours, no need to change atleast for 12 hours. The best thing about it is that you can get your cup according to your profile, that is age under 30 years Cupisima small and age more than 30 years Cupissima large, also these are reusable means imagine the saving we do comparative to tampons and pads.
#8 Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I use DivaCup and I absolutely love it. It took 2 or 3 cycles before I got the hang of putting it in the right spot, but now I can do it half-asleep. I've never had a leakage issue, but then I empty it frequently-- every couple of hours on heavy days.
#9 Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 AM

I started out with Diva cup, but the hollow stem was tough to clean and it was a chore to grab. Still preferable to tampons, and who knows, maybe DivaCup has alternative stem models now.

Right now I'm using the Meluna, which at the time of my purchase was the only cup that had a bunch of color and stem options. The stem I use now is a ring and now taking it out is the easiest thing in the world.

Love cups.
#10 Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I couldn't hang with the moon cup. I could feel it in there and it was a ***** to get in and out. It would take like 30 minutes every time I would take it out and have to put it back in.

So now I am just going to get an IUD which will eventually take my periods away.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#11 Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

That's a shame it didn't work for you, River. The moon cup does have a massive rim compared to most other cups, so that could be part of the problem.

You may still have bleeds for the duration of your IUD, tho if you do they will probably be much lighter. AFAIK the progestin-releasing IUDs are the only hormonal contraceptives (other than emergency contraceptives) that you can ovulate with when it is working correctly.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#12 Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post
That's a shame it didn't work for you, River. The moon cup does have a massive rim compared to most other cups, so that could be part of the problem.

You may still have bleeds for the duration of your IUD, tho if you do they will probably be much lighter. AFAIK the progestin-releasing IUDs are the only hormonal contraceptives (other than emergency contraceptives) that you can ovulate with when it is working correctly.
I have a very light and short period, plus I am very sensitive to hormonal bc. Depo got rid of my period after just one shot. My doc thinks they should go away fairly quickly.
faded_amaranth likes this.

Quote:
#13 Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 AM

Tried but didn't like them and it was too messy work for me. So I think they're not for me.
#14 Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM

I have the Lunette Model 1. I am over 30, have had a few kids and have a couple really heavy days each month but I have a very low cervix so I have to use the smaller cup. I love it, it works well but I do use Lunapads as back up as there are 2 days when I have to empty the cup every 2 hours and I do get leaks. When I was using tampons though I was going through a super ultra plus tampon every 2 hours and had horrific cramps so this is a much better option for me.

I am going to order a FemmyCycle low cervix cup this week as I think it might be an even better option for me on heavy days than the Lunette.

My daughter is only 6 but I plan to start her on reusables right from the start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page