VeggieBoards banner

Eating disorders

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  David3 
#1 ·
I have problems about my weight and others telling me how skinny I've becomed. My brain tells me that grain isn't healthy and that I put on weight because of it. I want to get full and stay healthy in a way, but I hate to go up in weight. I don't actually know what to eat to be satisfied with myself, but I do love food. If I don't eat often I'll get up in weight anyway. I eat almonds, soy, chia seeds to get complex proteins, so I avoid rice, bread and pasta. Is that very stupid? I love eating bananas and dates even there are calories in them, but those are something I'm not able to give up. I eat berries, broccoli, potatoes, tofu, gluten-free vegan burgers, vegan hot dogs, crispbread, avocado, almond butter, mushrooms, aubergine and yeah. I'm not using coconut oil very often, because that isn't good for the veins. Trying to stay away from bad fat also. I'm going to a clinic nutritionist, but do you have any ideas about what I should eat more and why?

#2 ·
I think it is a good idea to see a nutritionist .... I stay away from certain foods too because they upset my tummy I get severe cramps from beans and broccoli so I avoid them ..... pasta and rice I eat plenty of also a lot of potatoes which I love also corn and peas never gained weight from them and I eat bananas and dates or add them into smoothies ..... I am told I am waif like I used to care but after my last check up my doctor said I'm small boned and I'm healthy ..... I'm no doctor but I think if you think your fat and you're not that's ED but if your going to a nutritionist then at least your doing something
healthy for yourself and the nutrionist will let you know if your eating enough for your age/height/weight and activities like exercise. Good luck !
smiley.gif

#3 ·
I suffered from an eating disorder (and still do, EDNOS - anorexic leaning) and I really advise that you please tell your doctor/nutritionist/mental health support/whatever you have about your fear foods, if you haven't already! I think a good psychologist/counsellor is vital for recovery, and truly helped me with my fear of the exact same things you are scared of! I still have my moments of relapse, but rice, pastas, breads, etc. make great bases for filling meals! Of course they aren't necessary to keep on weight, but you really need to tell your support team what's going on, take care of yourself!

#6 ·
If you are active then eating grains will not make you put on weight so don't worry about that...

Just exercise and eat enough calories/ protein: soya/ tofu/ lentils/ pasta/ rice are good staples to build up from :)

#8 ·
I recommend reading the book, The Starch Solution by John McDougall. He actually dispels the idea that grains make you fat (because they don't). When eating things like potatoes, corn, rice, etc. we actually don't convert it into fat (which is what makes us gain weight. If you ate double the calories you eat in one day, added 3 oz of pure sugar & 4 grams of fat daily, you would need to keep this diet up for 4 months to gain 1 pound of fat. Under eating in carbs and grains actually causes people to binge more often, which is what really causes weight gain, along with excessive amounts of fat. Grains and complex carbohydrates are your friend

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Welcome to VeggieBoards!

I haven't yet heard of the DAS Diet. Do you mean the DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.