Birth Control Question (Nuvaring/hormonal) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I want to start Nuvaring again, but I forgot to put it in last week when I was still on my period. I'm due to ovulate tomorrow. Can I put the ring in and just use a backup method for the next 2 weeks or so? I'm afraid to insert it while I'm on my period because it might just cause spotting for 2 weeks (might prevent me from having a normal period). Any tips?

Also, I don't have insurance, does anyone know how much PP charges for birth control?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I want to start Nuvaring again, but I forgot to put it in last week when I was still on my period. I'm due to ovulate tomorrow. Can I put the ring in and just use a backup method for the next 2 weeks or so? I'm afraid to insert it while I'm on my period because it might just cause spotting for 2 weeks (might prevent me from having a normal period). Any tips?

Also, I don't have insurance, does anyone know how much PP charges for birth control?

Not sure about the Nuvaring, but for Planned Parenthood the prices depend on your income. If you have none you can get it for free. Otherwise their website says it costs anywhere from $15 to $80 a month.

#3 Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Several good sources say that you can start it anytime during your cycle, just use back up the first week of use if you don't start NuvaRing on day 1 of your cycle.  Unfortunately i didn't see anything about it on a quick search of the NuvaRing website.

"If you insert the vaginal ring later than five days after the start of your period, protection will begin after seven days. Use another method of birth control — like a condom or spermicide — if you have vaginal intercourse during the first week of ring use."
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-vaginal-ring-nuvaring-4241.htm

"Use of the ring can be started at any time during the menstrual cycle."
"Non-hormonal back-up contraception is needed for first 7 days if the ring is started on any day other than day 1 of the menstrual cycle."
http://www.arhp.org/Publications-and-Resources/Quick-Reference-Guide-for-Clinicians/choosing/Vaginal-Ring

"New ring can be inserted at any time in cycle if reasonably certain woman is not
 pregnant; use backup x 7 days (CDC) "
Managing Contraception on the Go, page 114

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

It all talks about starting during your cycle, but my cycle ended 5 days ago. I put it in last night, no issues so far. I'm going to go to PP tomorrow, my friend said she gets her birth control from there and doesn't have any issues. Might call my old OB/GYN and see if he can give me a sample or two also.

#5 Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Oh, i mean cycle as in the entire menstrual cycle (the whole month), not just when one is bleeding.  I think that the definition that i'm using is what most professional things would use, but i guess you need to check that, better safe than sorry.  Good luck!

#6 Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

Oh, i mean cycle as in the entire menstrual cycle (the whole month), not just when one is bleeding.  I think that the definition that i'm using is what most professional things would use, but i guess you need to check that, better safe than sorry.  Good luck!

I wonder if the websites mean the entire cycle or just the bleeding. I've always been told to start the pill while I'm still bleeding, but I'm a rebel and never did tongue3.gif Didn't want to risk spotting for weeks.

My friend who uses Nuvaring said that her doctor recommends having 28 days of the ring in, then removing it for a week. She said there's enough hormones in it to last 4 weeks instead of 3. I might just have to do that.

#7 Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Well i can't be positive but i'm pretty sure that it is means the entire cycle.  I've done a lot of reading on contraception and reproductive health recently and the only time i've read cycle used to mean a period was while reading a review of an herb (well that was knowingly anyway).  And why would all these places use a euphemism  for menses, especially that euphemism?  Anyway, i'm just justifying my thought process because you've got me doubting myself :p

Here's some info on the 'Quick Start' method for beginning hormonal contraception at any point during the menstrual cycle so maybe you can feel more confident (though perhaps less rebellious :p).  And yes, NR has 4 weeks worth of hormones even though it's only instructed to be used for 3 weeks.  If i were using it i'd want to take advanage of that too!

#8 Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

"Cycle" refers to the entire menstrual cycle, 28 days or 35 days or however long it is from the first day of your period to the first day of your next period. Period would refer to bleeding days.

I can't quite imagine why inserting nuvaring during your period would cause you to bleed longer -- it wouldn't have much effect on the endometrium that is already being shed, but you might have some bleeding between periods especially during the first 3 months, which is common for beginning any hormonal birth control.
#9 Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i remember when i started it i did mid-cycle as my doctor told me to and it was fine. of course everyone is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganChick2202 View Post

Not sure about the Nuvaring, but for Planned Parenthood the prices depend on your income. If you have none you can get it for free. Otherwise their website says it costs anywhere from $15 to $80 a month.
i wish that was true about pp where i live
#10 Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post
I can't quite imagine why inserting nuvaring during your period would cause you to bleed longer -- it wouldn't have much effect on the endometrium that is already being shed, but you might have some bleeding between periods especially during the first 3 months, which is common for beginning any hormonal birth control.

I was afraid it would try to make my period stop, leaving lining unshed. I once took a pill that was so low dose that I bled constantly. I thought it was a fluke and tried it again a year later and I bled for 3 weeks straight (spotting, but required liners and lite tampons). That was the only pill that ever did it and I've tried over 8 different formulas. Yasmin gave me excruciating stomach pains that I didn't link to that pill for months. LoEstrin24 murdered my sex drive. One of the pills made me so angry. I only tried Nuvaring for 1 month before and had no side effects, but it usually takes longer to know. Fingers crossed that I have none.

#11 Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

I took out Nuvaring for 7 hours to do a yeast infection treatment (one I developed before starting the birth control). I hope it doesn't mess with my hormones too much. I hate yeast infections.

#12 Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

If you read the package insert, you will find the ring should not be removed for more than 3 hours. You can treat a yeast infection with the ring in place. Check the package insert for instructions, but you will need to use a backup method if the ring has been out for more than 3 hours.
#13 Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

If you read the package insert, you will find the ring should not be removed for more than 3 hours. You can treat a yeast infection with the ring in place. Check the package insert for instructions, but you will need to use a backup method if the ring has been out for more than 3 hours.

I figure I won't be having sex again for a good 5-7 days anyway (to heal), so it wouldn't hurt to leave it out for a few extra hours while I slept. I put it back in immediately after waking up. I wanted to maximize the treatment so I could heal as fast as possible. Yeast infections suck! I wish the oral medication worked for me, I tried it once and it didn't even touch it. Suffered almost an extra week too.

I read online that if you take it out for more than 3 hours to use a backup birth control for 7 days. Sound about right?

#14 Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

There's really no reason to think having the ring in would mess up treating a yeast infection. Next time I would just leave it in. It is possible that leaving it out too long could trigger some spotting, but you really can't expect perfect periods in the first 3 months anyway.

Regarding how long to use a back up method, the only sources of information I would trust are nuvaring's website or the package insert. If you are having trouble deciphering the insert, ask your pharmacist or call your doctor. 7 days does sound right, but you shouldn't leave trust me with your health.
#15 Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

There's really no reason to think having the ring in would mess up treating a yeast infection. Next time I would just leave it in. It is possible that leaving it out too long could trigger some spotting, but you really can't expect perfect periods in the first 3 months anyway.

Regarding how long to use a back up method, the only sources of information I would trust are nuvaring's website or the package insert. If you are having trouble deciphering the insert, ask your pharmacist or call your doctor. 7 days does sound right, but you shouldn't leave trust me with your health.

With the way the ring goes in, I was afraid the treatment wouldn't get to all of the yeast.

Luckily, no spotting smiley.gif No sex yet either. The downfall is headaches, been getting a lot of them with Nuvaring so far.

#16 Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

After this month, I'm going to stop. I have had the worst acne that won't go away, still have headaches, and nausea. I'm also moody. This isn't worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page