period issues! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 AM

I am 16 and became vegetarian approx. 9 months ago, I also have the Implanon which could have a impact but about two months ago i stopped getting my period. There was a small chance of pregnancy but over the last three weeks i have taken multiple HPT and they have all come back negative so i think i can cross that concern out.

I just wanted to know if anybody else has had the same problem since becoming vegetarian, keeping in mind that i do still eat eggs and some dairy products.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey1995 View Post

I am 16 and became vegetarian approx. 9 months ago, I also have the Implanon which could have a impact but about two months ago i stopped getting my period. There was a small chance of pregnancy but over the last three weeks i have taken multiple HPT and they have all come back negative so i think i can cross that concern out.

I just wanted to know if anybody else has had the same problem since becoming vegetarian, keeping in mind that i do still eat eggs and some dairy products.

thanks!

If you're underweight, your periods may stop until you are at a healthier weight.

Is Implanon hormonal birth control? If so, it could definitely be a factor.
#3 Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Yes it is a form of birth control, I'm not under weight or over weight. I eat as healthy as possible and definitely don't eat very much junk food. I have noticed others have asked similar questions about their period stopping. It's just worrying me because I'm getting cramps but no blood and I as I model professionally I am worried about how bloated I am getting!
Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

20% of women stop having periods on Implanon. I'm surprised your doctor didn't discuss this possibility with you. Irregular periods are also common with this long term form of birth control. You are still protected from pregnancy for 3 years from insertion regardless of whether or not you bleed - http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm If you feel uncomfortable about not bleeding, regular pregnancy tests are a good idea just to put your mind at ease.
#5 Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

20% of women stop having periods on Implanon. I'm surprised your doctor didn't discuss this possibility with you. Irregular periods are also common with this long term form of birth control. You are still protected from pregnancy for 3 years from insertion regardless of whether or not you bleed - http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm If you feel uncomfortable about not bleeding, regular pregnancy tests are a good idea just to put your mind at ease.

Yep.

Obviously, if you're worried about it and think it might be due to nutrition or some other cause then see your doctor, best to be on the safe side, but I think it will be due to the Implanon rather than your diet.

I'm on Implanon and get a period about once every 6-8 months (but it sticks around for about two weeks rather that one, irritatingly). This is my second time on it, so It's been about 4 years so far and when I asked a nurse a few years back, she said this is common and nothing to worry about. Some people don't get a period at all the whole time and some continue regularly. Again, this is all normal.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#6 Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 AM

I think you can safely assume this is due to the Implanon, and not due to your vegetarianism - It's very common to cease periods on Implanon, or for them to be sporadic - a third of women stop them completely, just over a third just get spotting or sporadic periods, and then less than a third stay normal. It doesn't mean it isn't working, and there has never been a recorded pregnancy on an Implanon, except in cases where the patient was not suitable but given it anyway (obese patients, which you are not)
Just so long as you realise the Implanon must be replaced every three years, you'll be fine. It's a pretty worry free method, once you get used to the lack of periods.

If you're worried about the bloating, then that's a separate issue - how long has it been going on for? Is it continuous, or on a monthly cycle? That could be due to your diet, or it could be one of those things us women just have to cope with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page