period stopped? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM

not to tell the whole world about my cycle or anything... but.. I went vegan jan 1st.. and had my period on jan 5th.. I didn't get it in feb... and I haven't gotten it so far in march (should have been like the first week).. so for 2 months I havent gotten it basically..

I'm not pregnant..

so.. why would I not get it after going vegan? Am I missing something in my diet? maybe I'm not eating enough diverse things? or.. idk?

I think I eat a pretty balanced diet.

help?? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

you need to see a doctor ASAP. Amenorrhea can be a symptom of various problems, some serious.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#3 Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It's normal to miss a period every once in a while. I just missed one myself. I had one in mid December, and I didn't get another til the last week in February. If it happens a lot you might want to see a doctor, but if this is the first time I wouldn't worry.

It's way too soon for going vegan to have any effect on your health, and short of having a body fat percentage that is way too low, usually due to anorexia, diet doesn't have much effect on your menses.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

you need to see a doctor ASAP. Amenorrhea can be a symptom of various problems, some serious.

This is true. If you haven't been taking in enough calories with your change in diet, that could be the cause (which is still pretty serious, as it means your body is under stress from not eating enough), but since we can't know what you medical history is, it's better to talk to a health care provider who can assess you. You have now missed 2 periods, which is more than just a little variation that you might expect if your periods aren't completely regular and you've been under some emotional or physical stress.
#5 Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM

thanks everyone for your replies. I'm glad to know its not 'cause I'm missing something in my vegan diet.. I didn't think so but thats the only change in my life so I had to make sure.
#6 Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't freak out and go to the doctor right away, it's not even considered amenorrhea until you've missed 3 periods in a row, and i have missed my period for 3 months many times, and nothing was wrong with me.
#7 Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Been happening to me lately. I think it's something to do with soy. Have you upped your soy consumption?

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#8 Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

Don't freak out and go to the doctor right away, it's not even considered amenorrhea until you've missed 3 periods in a row, and i have missed my period for 3 months many times, and nothing was wrong with me.

Everyone is different. Just because there was nothing wrong with you that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the OP. Plus it's always better to catch things early instead of waiting around till they progressively get worse.
#9 Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Everyone is different. Just because there was nothing wrong with you that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the OP. Plus it's always better to catch things early instead of waiting around till they progressively get worse.

I didn't say that, but a doctor will just send you home, like i said it's not amenhorrea until you've missed 3 in a row, so to a doctor there is nothing wrong with you until that point, i think it would be a waste of time and money to go to a doctor until you've missed at least 3.
#10 Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

. . . says the pregnant one.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#11 Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM

well.. I guess if I don't get in by mid-april I'll go. I don't even really have a doctor- I'll have to find one to go to. >.> thanks again.
#12 Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

. . . says the pregnant one.

Not sure what that actually has to do with anything.
#13 Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

If your periods have previously been regular, there's no reason to delay until you have missed a certain number of periods. Your body is trying to tell you something is going on. You should at least try to talk to a nurse. Do you have insurance at all? Many health insurance cards will have a 24-hour nurse line you can call.
#14 Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not sure what that actually has to do with anything.

Because you said:

Quote:

Obviously there was something wrong since you are pregnant.

Anyways, I still think you should go to a dr now Brighteyes. It could be nothing but it could be something potentially serious. Better safe than sorry. If you can't afford a dr is there a planned parenthood or health clinic in your city?

I also believe that every women should be going to their doctor/gyno/PP on a regular basis for their annual paps ESPECIALLY if they are sexually active.
#15 Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM

I usually go every march/April for my yearly pap but I moved a couple months ago and just haven't looked for a doctor yet. Someone said maybe it's the soy? I have been eating more soy products.. Could that really be the cause? Idk. I guess I'll just have to go get checked..

Thanks again everyone
#16 Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

how many calories are you eating every day?
#17 Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Because you said:

Obviously there was something wrong since you are pregnant.

Anyways, I still think you should go to a dr now Brighteyes. It could be nothing but it could be something potentially serious. Better safe than sorry. If you can't afford a dr is there a planned parenthood or health clinic in your city?

I also believe that every women should be going to their doctor/gyno/PP on a regular basis for their annual paps ESPECIALLY if they are sexually active.

I wasn't pregnant 20 times, or when i was 14, i'm 20 now, so no if anything it proves there was nothing wrong with me since my reproductive system seems to work just fine.
#18 Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry Alix, that's why I meant it as a joke.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#19 Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I kinda doubt it's from soy consumption.
#20 Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Peroids seem to be so touchy. If my body fat % is off one month, or I'm stressed or sick, mine would either skip or come late.

It all got too annoying (and unhealthy, skipping periods can be bad for your bones!) so I'm on a low-dose BC pill now. Worked wonders for me.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#21 Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Yelp I was on her looking at my post from January about my missed period and stumbled upon this one ( which is very comforting). But hay guess what..I haven't had mine since May 19Th this time!! aah! Its a blessing and curse all at the same time.....no pains, no PMS, not pregnant. I keep telling my fiance i ran out of eggs hahah which would be OK with me. I am by no means malnourished. I also heard about the soy thing too, switched to Almond milk for a while and everything was normal but hey, could be pure coincidence.

I feel ya my sista'  it get frustrating bc you know its something that should be happening and when it doesn't usually means something is wrong.

" You are what you eat. I am not fear, despair, death, or pain."
#22 Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Beginner

have you lost weight? Because as for me I do not have my menses since I am underweight. I have to gain weight to get them again. it isn't easy at all!!! I am very worried because now it is gonna be 6 years that I don't have them. Even If I am gonna turn 24 I am afraid about osteoporosis. fews years ago I didn't care about that, but now I think about and I don't find it funny at all. I am unlikely to have children. who knows. :(

I may go to the doctor I think to know his analysis;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page