Morning Sickness/Nausea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Soo, I've had HORRIBLE morning sickness and nausea to the point where I can hardly keep anything down. I've been drinking ginger ale, but that only helps for a little bit. Bananas also are helping for now, until my body decides it's sick of them. I also can't keep crackers down.

What are some other ways to combat morning sickness?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry you're going through this I was lucky when I was pregnant, and hardly got sick at all. Are you taking multivitamins? The few times I got sick was usually about 20 minutes after I took my vitamin, they just didn't agree with me. Either way, taking them at night just before you go to sleep helps with that sick feeling a lot.
#3 Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been taking my prenatal vitamin, but I think it's making it worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Those prenatal vitamins are harsh, if you can't have them at any time without feeling sick, I've been told taking a chewable helps. The only one I know of offhand is Flintstones gummies, but I think those have gelatin in them..But you might want to keep the idea in mind, I'm sure there's something similar without gelatin.
#5 Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

I've been taking my prenatal vitamin, but I think it's making it worse.

Whoa, what?! YOU'RE PREGNANT?!
#6 Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Congratulations! The nausea can be so awful, and it is made worse by having an empty stomach all the time, all that stomach acid with nothing to digest. For some women, drinking liquids and eating solids together makes them sick, but if they just eat and then drink the water or whatever later on, it helps. So you could eat, say, a slice of toast, pretty dry without liquids, but you can hopefully keep it down. Then in half an hour/hour, have a cup of tea or whatever you are going to drink. And keep eating small things during they day so you don't get an empty growly stomach. White rice can be an easy thing to eat, or baby rice cereal (has iron too.) Baked or roasted potatoes, easy on the added fat, though. Peppermint tea helps some people too.

The prenatal vitamins can be awful. Taking before bed with a full stomach is the easiest on the stomach, but you may have to switch brands. Make sure you get B6, as this helps nausea, and of course folic acid for the baby (though this causes nausea in some.) I have heard that the caplet type of prenatal vitamin rather than the tablet is better because the coating on the tablet makes some women sick. I work with pregnant hospitalized women, and they take all kinds of different prenatals, so this is a common problem. Those vitamins are strong, some have too much iron, check the label.

I see that crackers make you nauseous, that is too bad because keeping something like that on the nightstand to nibble if you wake to urinate and for first thing in the morning before you get up, that can help too. The easiest things on the stomach are the ones without the whole grains at this point. Hope you feel better soon!
#7 Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Not me, of course, but LilBigBug.
#8 Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Wow, you're behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Congratulations! The nausea can be so awful, and it is made worse by having an empty stomach all the time, all that stomach acid with nothing to digest. For some women, drinking liquids and eating solids together makes them sick, but if they just eat and then drink the water or whatever later on, it helps. So you could eat, say, a slice of toast, pretty dry without liquids, but you can hopefully keep it down. Then in half an hour/hour, have a cup of tea or whatever you are going to drink. And keep eating small things during they day so you don't get an empty growly stomach. White rice can be an easy thing to eat, or baby rice cereal (has iron too.) Baked or roasted potatoes, easy on the added fat, though. Peppermint tea helps some people too.

The prenatal vitamins can be awful. Taking before bed with a full stomach is the easiest on the stomach, but you may have to switch brands. Make sure you get B6, as this helps nausea, and of course folic acid for the baby (though this causes nausea in some.) I have heard that the caplet type of prenatal vitamin rather than the tablet is better because the coating on the tablet makes some women sick. I work with pregnant hospitalized women, and they take all kinds of different prenatals, so this is a common problem. Those vitamins are strong, some have too much iron, check the label.

I see that crackers make you nauseous, that is too bad because keeping something like that on the nightstand to nibble if you wake to urinate and for first thing in the morning before you get up, that can help too. The easiest things on the stomach are the ones without the whole grains at this point. Hope you feel better soon!

I was taking my prenatals before I went to bed, but I think that made it worse. Hopefully I'll be able to get a doctors appointment this week and see if my doctor can give me something else.

#9 Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I am sorry you are having such a time. For me the crackers first thing in the morning helped. But I generally got up, threw up, and was ok after that. I do know some women have "morning sickness" all day . I was lucky and it went away after a month or so.. I hope your doctor can help with a solution.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#10 Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM

Hey...congratulations! I'm just at the other end of the spectrum (40+1 today), but I remember those early days.

On the vitamin front, you might try taking it with food, if there's something that you can keep down. The vitamins can be hard on your stomach, particularly if they have lots of iron. I had some trouble with hemoglobin and found the iron tabs too killer, but am taking a liquid (Floravital), and that's much easier, even though it tastes vile. There are liquid multis out there too, but you might have to a bit of work to figure out how much to take, etc.

Ditto on trying not to let your stomach get too empty, as this usually increases the feeling of nausea. Also, don't worry about eating a balanced diet....not at all. If you can choke down the vitamins and keep them from coming back up, then getting calories in your diet is more important that getting your 5 a day necessarily. For me, saltines/bread, etc. were killer and made the nausea (and well, let's just say other symptoms) appear. Salty foods were very helpful, and I completely craved protein, so that's what I ate, along with buckets and buckets of orange juice. I can't believe orange juice helped my nauseous tummy, but it worked. Anyway, the idea is to eat whatever you can.

Other ideas:

- make sure you take some snacks (something that is nausea safe) with you wherever you go. Not only can it help with the stomach troubles, but it can keep your blood sugar on an even keel, which can be troublesome if you're not eating a lot.

- maybe try ginger chews/candy. I had some that I carried with me for awhile. The taste was really strong at first and almost made me feel worse, but after a few seconds, it actually helped. Some gals like mints, but they made me puke.

- sea sickness bands help some women

- try having something safe available to eat on your nightstand, so that you can nibble literally before you even get out of bed and are upright/walking around. Or, you could of course get your other half to bring you something each morning

- be careful about how much water you drink at one time. It's important to try and stay hydrated of course, but too much water in your stomach can really make you hurl

How far along are you now? Hopefully once you get past that 12-14 week mark, you'll feel a bit more normal.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Clinically I'm about 7 weeks. The toilet is my best friend (which sucks when the living room and kitchen is downstairs, and the bathroom is upstairs).

#12 Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister was told to keep crackers by the bed and eat them before getting up in the morning and also to eat several small meals throughout the day. If crackers don't work for you maybe you could eating something else first thing?

My friend used to take a Pepsi to work and sip it throughout the day. Not healthy of course but the carbonation does seem to help with nausea.
#13 Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a suggestion: As an alternative to keeping crackers by the bedside for nibbling, what about nuts, such as almonds, both raw and roasted/salted? Perhaps those might help to keep your stomach from getting too empty.

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

My sister was told to keep crackers by the bed and eat them before getting up in the morning and also to eat several small meals throughout the day. If crackers don't work for you maybe you could eating something else first thing?

That's what my sister does.
#15 Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont have any suggestions. But congratulations!!!!
#16 Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

My friend used to take a Pepsi to work and sip it throughout the day. Not healthy of course but the carbonation does seem to help with nausea.

I haven't had much luck keeping crackers down, but I was actually able to stomach some graham crackers today. Ginger Ale has also been a HUGE help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I have a suggestion: As an alternative to keeping crackers by the bedside for nibbling, what about nuts, such as almonds, both raw and roasted/salted? Perhaps those might help to keep your stomach from getting too empty.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. I'm eating peanut butter cookies right now, and it seems to be helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I dont have any suggestions. But congratulations!!!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page