Please help with cramps - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 AM

Im still only young and when i get my period thay are a really heavy flow and come with really bad cramps. I have tried a variety of things and nothing seems to work. today is day to and the cramps and pains are worse then ever.

someone please help me. i spend alot of time off school because of it and sometimes it bring me into tears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 AM

I can relate my period is total hell for the first three days especially since I have severe IBS. I've found some things that help.

Really strong mint, fennel, raspberry,chamomile tea. Getting a enough calcium and omega 3's ( flaxseed, walnuts, )can calm cramps. Eating fennel seeds and candied ginger, taking hot baths, hot water bottle on stomache or using a heat rub like tiger balm ( it stinks but it helps), exercising at least 30 min. 5 days a week like yoga or walking or something else you enjoy. Eating low fat foods everyday since high fat foods make cramps worse and avoiding msg, carbonated drinks, fake sugars.

I recently found out about yam extract from a Remedy show. It's a plant that comes from Mexico. It contains diosgenin which s a plant compound similar to those found in the body that can naturally support women gently and effectively during their period. It comes in a lotion form at health food stores. Really pricey but I'll try anything.You just rub 1/4t.-1/2t. on soft parts of the body eg. upper arms, stomache, thighs, etc once or twice a day. It can take up to 3 months before it works. I just started using it for a little over three weeks now so I have yet to notice an improvement.

Supplements can help like vitamin e, magnesium, potassium, vitamin c , vitamin b6, thiamine,folic acid . I've tried taking supplements but they just make my IBS worse.

Hope this helps.
#3 Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Aside from birth control, which is the only thing that really fixed it for me, Advil helps! Start taking Advil every 6 hrs 2 days before your period starts, then as needed during your period. It blocks some of the hormones that cause cramping, but you need to start taking it before the cramps hit.

(** of course check with your doctor/parents before taking any medication or supplement)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

can you go and see a doctor? they've got very good painkillers that you can't buy over the counter.

hot water bottles on your tummy can help a bit too.
#5 Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I generally go for painkillers and a hot water bottle, and doing/watching/reading stuff to take my mind off it.
#6 Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I generally go for painkillers and a hot water bottle, and doing/watching/reading stuff to take my mind off it.

persuading people to do nice things like get you dvds, feed you chocolate, give you a pedicure, and listen to you wail can also be very effective, i've found. oh, and codeine. boy oh boy do i love codeine. alas, doctor says no more codeine for jenny. maybe don't go for the codeine yourself.
#7 Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Jen, go and talk to a doctor. When I first started my periods, I had similar problems and they gave me some meds that brought it under control (and that was more years ago than I care to admit!)

Rabid Child is right, sometimes it takes hormones (such as birth control pills) to get it under control. I don't know how old you are or whether that would be an option? If not, there are pills which don't act as birth control but have the same effect on your periods as the Pill would.

It's worth a discussion with a friendly doc x
#8 Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

jen (may have to try the chocolate and pedicure method ).

I don't know what country you're in, but if you're in US or a country where you can find this stuff, you need to get yourself some Catnip. I take it in the capsules, but if you can find the plant and brew your own tea, I think that would work, too (I could never find the plant ). It takes about a month to start working, but when it does, hello RELIEF CITY! No kidding! My cramps used to be so bad, I couldn't even stand straight without screaming, or threatening to pass out from the pain but now, I can't tell at all when my periods are coming. It's lovely.
#9 Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Whenever I have a bad period pain I curl up in bed with a hot water bottle on my belly or back (Depending on where most of the pain is at the time). It really does help. Sometimes chocolate helps too but with really bad period cramps sometimes you need to take a tablet for the pain, speak to your doctor and/or parents about what tablets are best for you.
#10 Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

jen (may have to try the chocolate and pedicure method ).

I don't know what country you're in, but if you're in US or a country where you can find this stuff, you need to get yourself some Catnip. I take it in the capsules, but if you can find the plant and brew your own tea, I think that would work, too (I could never find the plant ). It takes about a month to start working, but when it does, hello RELIEF CITY! No kidding! My cramps used to be so bad, I couldn't even stand straight without screaming, or threatening to pass out from the pain but now, I can't tell at all when my periods are coming. It's lovely.

catnip? no way. seriously? am i gonna start foaming at the mouth and rolling on the lawn?
#11 Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Not unless you're a cat. Or have rabies. Or are a cat WITH rabies.
#12 Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

Not unless you're a cat. Or have rabies. Or are a cat WITH rabies.

*checks* ok, no- i think i'm good on all fronts there. so, catnip... hmmmm. i may have to find out more.
#13 Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Beginner

I use to get really bad cramps and I kept missing school because of them. Regular medicine for period cramps made me feel worse. But I'm now taking evening primrose oil capsules and they really help.
#14 Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I would see a doctor first, to see if he/she can help in any way.

I struggled with really bad cramps myself for years and years. Two things helped me: Childbirth (Yeah, I know! Not something you should try just for the sake of cramps ) and the Diva Cup. Seriously, the Diva Cup (also known as The Keeper) is amazing. It has helped sooo much! And it is very environmentally friendly AND it doesn`t cost much at all.

#15 Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently discovered the wonder of Midol, but I'm on birth control too.
#16 Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Some hot tea might do the trick and nice warm bath, i always do.
#17 Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

My best friend is a heating pad...just make sure you don't fall asleep with it on.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~
#18 Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM

It's possible you have Endometriosis or PCOS.

I used to take pain killers and vomit and pass out everytime I got mine. When I went on the pill it helped with the hormones and it got better. Now I don't take the pill but it seems OK (endo can stop and start back up).

My sister has PCOS and was undiagnosed for years and it was terrible. See a doctor, consider the pill too even if you're not against it. She found keeping her weight down, eating organic food and yoga really good too.

ALWAYS see a doctor though. I waited years before seeing one about my endo and I could have avoided a lot of pain and worry going earlier!!
#19 Old 09-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Beginner

I used to take Aleve or just tough it out.. But we were in Boston on a mini vacation and I had cramps so bad I couldn't leave bed, I was just laying there howling. My fiance went and got me Aleve and Ibuprofin and had me take two of each.. Sounds like a lot, but he's a doctor so I guess it's OK. It was like magic how well it worked. I only have a day or so of bad cramping each month, but now I always use that method and it does the trick.

Pain relievers are hard on your tummy tho so if you end up having to take lots of painkillers (I am usually fine with one bigger dose and then just Aleve or just Tylenol after) you will want to consult with your doctor about it.

And like everyone else said, BP usually reins this kind of thing in.
#20 Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm right back there with you since i went off the pill.. i thought it would get better with age but i feel like a 15 year old again. Definitely hot water bottle or heating pad helps, exercising regularly and within the week before your period, and if you can find a drug that can make you sleep instead of cry from pain that would be awesome. call your doctor!!

While today is still today, choose well.
#21 Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 AM

I tried lots of things for my extremely painful cramps (I used to miss days in middle school and high school regularly because of my period, too) and one day in college I tried the Midol Menstrual Complete pills. Seriously, these help more than anything else I had ever tried, although I will admit that I did not explore herbal remedies completely and if you're opposed to prescription medicine you may want to try those first.

However, these REALLY help me deal with what little pain is left and get about my day, making me functional. I also second the hot water bottle/heating pad suggestion -- this always helps me, too.
#22 Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM

I knew someone a few years back who swore by "moon tea". I tried googling it for you, but I didn't get much info.
#23 Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

My cramps used me pretty bad sometimes, and i'd always seem to get them while in school. I'd lose all concentration and feel like I just wanted to die.

Before I went on Birth Control, I usually just lay in bed with tea and a hot water bottle. But sometimes I'd take feminax, a painkiller specifically for periods, and think it helped a bit. Also, anything to try distract the pain...but that didnt always work.

Really, the thing that changed it for me was going on the pill, it made my period A LOT lighter, so easier to manage, and really really helped with cramps. I do sometimes get slight cramps, but nohing compared to what i did get
#24 Old 10-02-2009, 11:53 AM

Sorry, I know this is a women's only board, but the first question I'd ask you, is are you vegan? My sister had miserable periods lasting up to 12 days, crampy the whole time before she became vegan. After she gave up eating all animal products, her periods became milder. They last for about 5 days on average, and she only complains of cramps the first day. Just thought I'd mention that, since I really saw such a dramatic change in her, and I thought this info might be helpful.
#25 Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to have horrible cramps when I first start my period and it lasts for 2-5 hours (the pain). Things clear up after that. I typically take some advil, put on comfy clothes, and try and keep busy so I distract myself.
#26 Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 PM

hey hope you are feeling better

and totally agree about seeing the Doc

I try to relax and take a minute for myself...if I can and life which is really busy doesnt get in the way....I take small rest periods...I Eat what I crave w/in reason.....Tea in one of my fave mugs helps....If I feel up to it I do Yoga and Stretches and that helps......sometimes I just Scream and go to bed....LOL.....I do take Advil/Ibuprofen and that helps alot too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page