Writer quirk? mental problem? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM

So I know we have a few artists, writers ect here and i need some... advice, i do not know if my.. mental... state is where it should be...?

So I got to thinking, and everything (even this right here) i seem to think about feels as if i'm just thinking about it so i can put it in a book, its as if they arent even my own thoughts, its like im just thinking them because someone else is going to read them...

I do not know if this is normal or not? a writer quirk? did i read too much fan fiction? do i read too many books?

I think i'm losing it big time...

I hardly talk to anyone these days, but I think about what i would say and what they would do and dream they would be just completely blown away by whats inside my head and they would understand me and i wouldnt have to be fake...

its as if my mind isnt mine, I feel as if I need to be written down...

what really sums me up right now is the song "she's gonna break soon" by less than Jake

any help? ideas? reasurance that i am slightly normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Spree, if you want, one of the mods can move this to the Health area, where some adults may be able to offer some thoughts/advice as well.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure that you're sane, you're probably just very artistic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusKelpilot View Post

I'm sure that you're sane, you're probably just very artistic

+1

You probably have been reading a lot of books, and now are getting a bit paranoid about it.

In the past I used to imagine that I was in a tv documentary or something, and it actually felt like their were cameras on me. I could snap out of it when I wanted though. I think that if these feelings are really strong - like you do not feel like you are a real person thinking your own thoughts and are watching or reading your life on tv or a book (I know its not the same as what you are going through, but might be similar) there is some syndrome. I read about it in a magazine, but it seems to wear off after a bit.

Maybe it would be a good idea to post this in the health section. Someone might have much better advice than mine!
#5 Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM

oh geez, a syndrom...

thanks for the suggestion about moving it, but i already feel silly enough..

ive decided that maybe i should get another journal and actually write my life down as i picture it, filling in scenarios, my sarcastic ways of thinking ect

its the only thing i can think to do

gracias mi amigos
#6 Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I go through phases like this sometimes, especially when I spend a lot of time reading... After I got on the birth control shot, I went through a very bad phase of this accompanied by severe paranoia. (Stay away from that damn shot. It does horrible things to you.)
#7 Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It's my own belief that the greatest artists are not entirely sane.

Which means it's good I happen to have a few screws loose.

However, I don't think this is abnormal. For while I can't compare it to myself, I do know various people who write who think similarly at times. They call it their 'muse explosions'.
#8 Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 AM

I've never met a completely "sane" or "normal" writer or artist.

What you described sounds vaguely like how I feel at times, and I've spoken to others who have described similar thoughts. I always found it helpful to write a sort of diary, but in third person, and in the style of fiction. I suppose it felt like once I'd written these thoughts down, I'd freed myself from them.

Of course, there's no guarantee that will work for you, but I'd recommend it. If you feel led (by your mind, by external events, by your heart, by your thoughts of conversations) to write something, do it! If you don't, you'll almost certainly regret not doing so later.

I find it very helpful in times of confusion to write. Then, a couple of days later when I've collected my thoughts and my head is clearer, I read it back to myself.

For now, I encourage you to stop worrying and write!
#9 Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM

If you're insane then I'm insane because I think the same way. Whenever I write in my journal I'm sort of writing as if I plan to have others read it or I sort of have this notion in my head that one day, far in the future someone will find my journals and be amazed. Haha... yeah. But that isn't all. There's always tons of odd things occurring in my head but I love it. It's me.
#10 Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is completely normal, especially if you read and write a lot. I think it's a good thing that you are observant of your life in a way that you could use to write. When I was in high school I was really into writing, so I kind of understand what you are feeling.

I feel the same way sometimes. I used to sort of think about my life in terms of a movie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page