Did any of your friends give you a hard time? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM

When I first went vegetarian some of my friends gave me a hard time about it. They would make mean little comments, make fun of me, or like try to make me eat a piece of chicken. I think they've become more accepting of it now, but it was very annoying, and made it a lot harder in the beginning.

Do/did any of you guys have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Beginner

i got that all the time, still do
#3 Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that people make a joke out of it because they don't quite understand it. Some of my friends did the same thing, but after they adjusted to it, they realized that it wasn't a huge deal and I was the same old person I was before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Because I was raised vegetarian, when I went to school everybody found out pretty soon and that was just who I was. I did get a hard time at school. I suppose I was the weirdo hippy kid. At the time I just wanted to be be normal but I am so grateful now that my mum didn't make me into a trendy little conformist!

I had a couple of "friends" who would try and make me eat meat and make really rude comments, but I didn't put up with them for long. I have one friend now who often makes fun of me but in a good humoured way. If he ever crossed the line I would definitely tell him!
#5 Old 01-16-2009, 09:46 AM

At first, my friends were really quite mean about it.

Sometimes I think people think that vegetarianism is a personal attack on their morals.

But know they have accepted it and respect my decision.
#6 Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah -sigh- don't even want to get into it. I value the friendships a lot less now.
#7 Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

haha you're going to have to get used to it! you'll know all the good comebacks off by heart in a few months!

I dont really get arguements or questions any more. But my nickname seems to be "vegan powers" now! not hurtful, but wierd.

I'll walk into class and there will be a huge chorus of "vegan powers!"

"use your vegan powers to tell me whats in the exam"

"how you doing vegan powers"

"I knew it was you coming, I sensed the vegan powers before you came into the room

ect. ect....
#8 Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

I hate it the most when people act like it's some kind of disorder.

"Why can't you eat meat?" etc, etc.
#9 Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

No, but I'm in college and hang around really open-minded people, including other vegetarians.

Most of the people who find about it just ask why I'm a vegetarian, so I tell them, and that's that.
#10 Old 01-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Nope, because if someone makes fun of me, or disrespects me/my morals, they're no longer my friend. People in my life know how serious I am about my veg*nism and animal rights in general, and it is not joke material.
#11 Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sheep View Post

haha you're going to have to get used to it! you'll know all the good comebacks off by heart in a few months!

I dont really get arguements or questions any more. But my nickname seems to be "vegan powers" now! not hurtful, but wierd.

"I knew it was you coming, I sensed the vegan powers before you came into the room

ect. ect....

lol that's actually pretty funny, people are so weird. I imagine it would get pretty annoying after a while though.
#12 Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Nah not really for me. A lot of people actually gained respect for me for having the self discipline to do it. There were some people though who just couldn't comprehend it. They asked my why I would do that. I don't hate em though. I understand that if your raised a certain way then something like this may seem a little outlandish.
#13 Old 01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

I had a couple of "friends" who would try and make me eat meat and make really rude comments, but I didn't put up with them for long.

Yeah i had friends like that

They got really bad sometimes by doing things like sneaking meat into my meals and what not -_- i always had to check something before i ate it to make sure there was no random last minute add of a chicken piece or whatnot

Thankfully things got better then i hit mid teens
#14 Old 01-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonSG View Post

Yeah i had friends like that

They got really bad sometimes by doing things like sneaking meat into my meals and what not -_- i always had to check something before i ate it to make sure there was no random last minute add of a chicken piece or whatnot

Thankfully things got better then i hit mid teens

That's really awful. Most people just don't realise how horrible that is. I think yyou have to be vegetarian yourself to know just how that feels. I hope you don't put up with anything like that any more.

Somebody once told me to close my eyes and tried to feed me something. I did close my eyes then thought better of it.. turns out she was intending to feed me something from a packet of pickled sea creatures of some description. I was so angry and she just could not understand why.
#15 Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sheep View Post

ect. ect....

I'm sorry and please don't hate me, but that is kind of funny

My friends don't mind it. Most of them think it's cool, or they make fun of me jokingly. I have one friend that just bothers me about it all the time... "I don't get why you don't eat dairy, the animals aren't being killed," even though I've explained it to her a thousand times. When I first told them they would try to get me to eat chicken, drink milk, etc. or they would think they shouldn't eat meat around me Now it's not a big deal.
#16 Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

haha dont worry, I find it pretty funny too

So much better than the whole "I dont get it" bla bla bla followed by everyones opinions (always negative) and "what do you eat?"
#17 Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Some people like to try and tempt me into eating meat, but they don't really make fun. Apart from my family, they think its stupid.

Friends are alright about it though
#18 Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Yup, I know exactly what you are talking about. My friends think I'm crazy for doing it, so they're always making jokes and fun of me. But whatever, I know that I'm doing the right thing.
#19 Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince1/08 View Post

But whatever, I know that I'm doing the right thing.

Hooray! Well said

With this attitude we'll always be OK

:-)
#20 Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM

The worst for me is, I've been told Im very weird for doing it...and some kept going on and on about how weird it is and how they cant live without meat...But I handled it well
#21 Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Beginner

some of my friends used to give me a hard time, but they are all really supportive now. They just didn't know what to think at first, but now that it has been a long time everyone is used to it and proud of me.
#22 Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

That's really awful. Most people just don't realise how horrible that is. I think yyou have to be vegetarian yourself to know just how that feels. I hope you don't put up with anything like that any more.

Somebody once told me to close my eyes and tried to feed me something. I did close my eyes then thought better of it.. turns out she was intending to feed me something from a packet of pickled sea creatures of some description. I was so angry and she just could not understand why.

Nah they dont do that anymore, most of my friends just tend to take the piss out of me about trying to be vegan now, theyve accepted vegetarian but just wont accept vegan hahaha
#23 Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

It helps if you don't tell anyone, and if you do do it if it's on topic and with only a few people. Just because when everyone finds out they'll have a stereotype of you in their heads and be all "WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN!?!? omg youll be so sick" and stuff.

It helps if you ignore them teasing Don't get all riled up because they'll keep doing it.
#24 Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Yes! Some of my friends gave me such a hard time about it and telling me how they couldnt live without meat and like waving meat in my face and stuff (although i decided to go veg in 5th grade so its sort of understandable). But now I try to talk about it as little as possible and they all kind of just accept it now.
#25 Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM

My dad kinda made fun of me. He would offer me a piece of chicken and say "Don't worry you can eat it. No one will know". And then I'm like "No thanks" or if he's eating ribs he'll say "Stop staring at my food I know ur drooling" and then I'll be like "Yeah keep dreaming". But I don't really mind. He's just teasing me.

But at school its a different story. I tend to like announce to the class that I'm a vegetarian. Some people say that I eat grass. Or this one boy started calling me VeggieGirl. I though the nickname was pretty cool though until I got annoyed. Some people ask what I eat or why I did it. They always seem to think it has to do with my religion (I was a Hindu but now I basically have no religion.). I'm Indian thats why. My friends are pretty cool about me being a vegetarian. I love them lots!!!!!! My mother kinda complains. She dosen't like cooking two different meals in two different pots. But I'm like "I didn't ask u to cook for me. U don'y have to do it" but she does anyways.

Well yup... Thats my story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page