VeggieBoards banner

How Long?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Earthling 
#1 ·
How long did you wait to tell your parents that you were vegan?

I'm old enough to take care of myself and worry about my own nutrition needs, but I still want to tell them eventually. I know that when I do they will be upset. My parents will tell me that it will be a hassel on them and that I will not get all of my nutrients. I am hoping to tell them in about 2 more weeks, so that they can see that it is not a hassel and that I am fine. (I did my research) They will support me, but it will take them a while.

Again, how long did you wait to tell them, and what were their reactions? How about friends? Did you tell them right away, too?

#3 ·
Yeah my parents are fine with me being vegetarian, but vegan will be a strech. When I told everyone 2 years ago that I was turning vegetarian, they were all unsure about it. Some of my friends even told me that it was stupid and that I would fail. It was just an intense time because I am the only person that they know that has turned vegetarian, so there was ignorance. I just hate it when people ridicule me and tell me that it's stupid. That is why I want to wait, so that they can see how healthy I am as a vegan, and they didn't even know it! I just don't want to go through all of it again, some of the reactions that I got from people when I told them I was vegetarian led me to tears. People can be just so mean and unsupportive.

#4 ·
i was in the car one day and said to my mom "i want to be a vegetarian" and she said "i knew you would one day" and we wwaited to see how long it took for my dad and brother too realize it (2 months) and they're totally against it, but, thats just them...my mom is very supportive

#5 ·
I sent my mom a four page email telling her about what I want and believe in.

And I had done a bunch of research, so i was prepared when she started asking questions.

Anyways, I had been thinking about it for about four months.

She's really supportive, and she was a veggie with me for 2 or 3 months, but she quit.

#6 ·
when i went vegetarian i waited like 4 months to tell them, because i had tried a few times before and failed and i just wanted to make sure it was gonna stick.

i didn't actually tell them when i went vegan. they just kind of noticed. They knew i was thinking about it though. then one day i just didnt eat any animal products and like a week later they started asking me if i could eat certain things.

#9 ·
Wow. I have been vegan for 2 weeks now and no one has noticed. I am just waiting for someone to comment on it, and then i will be like, "Oh yeah I decided to become vegan _____ long ago." The longer it takes for people to realize, the better chance I have for everyone to believe that I will stick to it, so I am fine with my little secret right now.

#14 ·
When I was omni my mum cooked most of our meals, so if I hadn't told her she would have known within a day anyway. I did wait a while to tell her I was going vegan because I suspected she wouldn't be too happy about it, and I was right. I wish I'd told her earlier though because she had bought some things that we had to throw away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.