Is veg*ism becoming a trend? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Well actually more than that do you think "going green" is becoming a trend?

I'm kind of mixed on this idea cause all around me companies are talking about how they're "going green" and helping reduce their impact on the environment and i'm thinking it's just to appeal to this new craze for saving the earth. A scheme to make more money. I'm all for saving the earth but i wonder if it's cause that's just what's popular.

Also it seems more people are becoming veg*an, i don't know if that's just because i live in L.A county or not, but i think people are becoming veg*an cause it's some kind of new trend and that's what's in. Maybe it's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

i only became vegetarian because adolf hitler was one
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It's been a trend for quite some time now.

Oh well. Good news for the animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe it is a trend, but it shouldn't bother us too much, right? i mean, besides people doing things for money or not because their heart is in it, I don't really think it matters. They're still helping, and that's enough for me.

I think.

lol.

<3<3<3
#5 Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a222 View Post

i only became vegetarian because adolf hitler was one

wtf?? lol
#6 Old 07-16-2008, 01:26 PM

I don't know anyone, besides the Indian kids kids who are veg*n because of their religion, who is veg*n. Maybe because of my location?
#7 Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthebaker View Post

Well actually more than that do you think "going green" is becoming a trend?

I'm kind of mixed on this idea cause all around me companies are talking about how they're "going green" and helping reduce their impact on the environment and i'm thinking it's just to appeal to this new craze for saving the earth. A scheme to make more money. I'm all for saving the earth but i wonder if it's cause that's just what's popular.

Yeah, vegetarianism has been a trend for some people for a while now, but I don't think many people go veg*n for environmentalism. Some do, sure, but not many (I know I didn't).
#8 Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 AM

I went vegetarian partially for the environment and partially for the animals

I have noticed this "green" trend for awhile now too. I've even seen t-shirts at target with slogans on them about being green. I think it's great that people are becoming more aware of how they affect the environment but sometimes it annoys me because people will just wear the shirt because it's trendy and not because they actually care.
#9 Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM

As osito says, it's unfortunate because when fashion adopts the cause, the cause necessarily loses all depth and meaning because it's fashion. At least if vegetarianism were to become fashionable, it would require action. However, a $50 bag that says "recycle" does no one any good(except to make the person feel better about themselves).
#10 Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know whether it's becoming a "trend" or if people are just becoming more aware?? Either way, it's good news for the animals and that's what matters - right?
#11 Old 07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janee View Post

I don't know whether it's becoming a "trend" or if people are just becoming more aware?? Either way, it's good news for the animals and that's what matters - right?

Exactly.
#12 Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know. I still think it's as hard as ever to find a true vegetarian or vegan, but when I tell people that I am a vegan I always get a- I am a vegetarian except for this and when we go to certain restaraunts and when we do that. There definately are a lot of pesce-polli-veggie-tarians who only eat turkey on Thanksgiving out there.

Yes the whole going green thing is definately a trend. I know people who have given rants to me about why global warming is stupid and then I have seen them wearing a go green shirt. (I love that girl to death but I still have yet to figure that out). Clothes and bags EVERYWHERE are having some sort of enviromental friendly slogan.
#13 Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've met one vegan--who became vegan after I met him-- and one veggie; I may have seen her eating a burger while she was by herself... it's not certain though.

I just learned today that my neighbor's wife is veggie. She may be vegan, her husband wasn't that clear about it.

So that's three. That's it.

Going green is def. a trend, but I'm not seeing veg as a trend. I live in Alabama though so that may have something to do with it. Veg's are few and far between here in the land of lard and fried chicken.
#14 Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't it a good thing though, aside from the poor communication between fake veg*ns and omnivores?

I feel like we NEED it to be a trend, because otherwise we wouldn't have as many people using cloth shopping bags, recycling, composting, etc. I'm not saying it's a solution or anything, I'm just saying I wouldn't call it a bad thing.
#15 Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM

most of the t-shirts and bags i've seen that say "go green" aren't even made out of organic cotton! pshh! hahaha

yeah i only know five people here that call themselves vegetarian but three of them will eat fish and I saw another one take a bite out of a hot dog the other day.

but it's better than nothing i think
#16 Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I've met one vegan--who became vegan after I met him-- and one veggie; I may have seen her eating a burger while she was by herself... it's not certain though.

I just learned today that my neighbor's wife is veggie. She may be vegan, her husband wasn't that clear about it.

So that's three. That's it.

Going green is def. a trend, but I'm not seeing veg as a trend. I live in Alabama though so that may have something to do with it. Veg's are few and far between here in the land of lard and fried chicken.

yay alabama people. and don't forget the ribs. i was told once by a girl to never try ribs becasue if i did i wouldnt be able to stop eating and i would never be veggie again.
#17 Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Beginner

I definitely see more people (especially teens) becoming vegetarians. When I first stopped eating meat a few years ago I was the only herbivore I knew - but now I know several vegetarians and a few vegans.

I do believe it's becoming the new "in thing" - but atleast it's not a bad thing.
#18 Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM

im the only vegan i know, but i know two veggies

i live in a really small town though, so i think 3 out of 2,000 is pretty good, for south texas...

ya, its a trend, but i think its a really good trend that i would never accuse someone of following.

hmm, i know that if someone accused me of following the trend i would be pissed.....
#19 Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM

oh, it's definitely a trend at my high school. which isn't bad by any means. but it sometimes bothers me when people thinks being a vegetarian just means more pasta, with no thought about soy products or vegetables. but oh well. it's their body.
#20 Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

"Going green" is definitely a trend, but you have to distinguish between that and actually saving the environment. A rule of thumb is that if you simple consume more expensive products, you're just "going green." It goes with things like "natural foods," hybrid cars, etc. But if you actually have to change your lifestyle from a generic consumer life, then its not trendy. Examples, maintaining a roof garden, never using your car and instead a bike (UNLESS ITS A FIXIE), buying used items instead of new ones.
#21 Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Scientology Is Free!
#22 Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

it may be a trend in the USA (for numerous reasons) and I know one, no two vegetarians plus one vegan who doesn't have the money to be vegan throughout the year, plus her health doesn't enable her to not eat meat for more than a month or so (don't ask me why). but here in my country, I've heard of ppl having been vegetarians in the past and have been told about ppl who still are veg* but I personally know (that doesn't include ppl i just talked to once or twice over veggieboards) no veg* within a range of uhmm like 4500 miles (measures with a pencil on maps.google.com).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page