what about nut allergies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Hi, I have been eating less and less meat, and I am sure that I want to become a vegetarian.

I know that lots of people who dont eat meat eat nuts instead for protein, but I am deathly allergic to nuts...where else can I get that protein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Legumes! totally.
#3 Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 AM

due to my bmi i need about 43 grams of protien a day, and thats being careful.

most americans get like twice that much, its crazy!

on the nutrition lables it shows you how much is in everything and blah, just look at that

nuts are in no way the only source of protien (hate that myth) just do a little research on foods, find out the amounts, your needs, and then try to fit enough in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Its actually hard to be deficient in protien as its in most foods including fruit and veg and starchy foods like rice, bread and potatos, so you dont actually need to eat that much more to stay healthy. Most people eat too much protien which can cause kidney damage amongst other things.

I dont eat many nuts apart from brazil nuts. Other sources are beans (including baked beans, kidney beans, haricot beans, chickpeas, lentils and just about any bean that you can think of). Soya products like tofu, soya cheese, milk and yoghurts (which are also a good source of calcium especially if they are fortified), yeast pates, and most meat alternatives that you can buy.

If you still eat dairy and eggs there is of course eggs, milk, cheese, yoghurt and quorn products (dont know if they have that in the US), but its for sale in basically every UK supermarket. Like meat, these are all pretty high in saturated fat though (apart from maybe quorn which is made from fungi, but uses egg as a binder).
#5 Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 AM

Hey thank you all for the suggestions

they are really helpful
#6 Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Why is this in the teen forum? You might get a lot more respsonses in another section. Adults can help you with nutrition, too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page