What jobs can we vegans do? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm a vegan teen who needs some money and I don't know what jobs I can do. Of course, I've ruled out bagboy/cashier and waiter/busboy. I can't think what a 15 year old vegan teen can do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

What are you interested in?
#3 Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

(this is the teen forum, soy 6-pack)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I got lucky and found a job at a family vegetarian restaurant. I used to work in retail...I suppose that is an option. You can sell clothes, books, cds, and whatnot.
#5 Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 PM

I would say retail, but isn't 15 too young for a retail job?
#6 Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I would say retail, but isn't 15 too young for a retail job?

I think so...I forgot about the age thing. Well, you definitely wouldn't be able to sell knives or swords, or video games.
#7 Old 05-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

At 15 all you really can do is bagboy/fastfood.
#8 Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM

You could babysit. I know it sounds dumb, but after you get good references down, parents are willing to pay $10 or more an hour in some places. It's good easy money for a teen. Plus, you don't have to work every single day, and can search for a job when you want one. PM me if you want some more info on how to get started finding some jobs if you're interested in this. I've made some good money doing it.
#9 Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

I think i might get a job as a dj for the skate rink, but then i will probably get fired for not playing hannah montanna and fergie

there is always dishwasher at Sunshine cafe.... not veg, but i dont know what else to do...
#10 Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

babysitting or walk around your neighborhood asking for a yardwork job if you're like me and hate children.

Elderly people especially (in this area at least) like to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to have some leaves raked or a lawn mowed. I once collected 25 dollars just for watering some plants.

If you own a power washer and know how to use one properly, you can also offer to power wash driveways for people. Everyone seems to like having that done.

Dog walking is another easy one if you're good with dogs and are willing to pick up dog poop. However, not as many people like this because they enjoy walking their dogs and are untrustworthy of teens around their companions.

If you have good connections, selling artwork is pretty good too. I've gotten fair amounts of money from my paintings, surprisingly.

There's not much choice in a 'real' job though, unfortunately.

Putting fliers around your neighborhood can help with these things. Like 'Driveway and sidewalk power washing; X amount of $!" Just leave a number or email and people may call. Asking door to door gathers people a lot faster, however.

Offer to do things for long periods of time. Like once a month or once every two weeks. Just, don't forget. People don't like that.

In some instances, neighbors who you know fairly well will let you clean certain parts of their home. Good money maker, but this only works with people you know. Strangers don't want to let a random teen into their house.

Companies will pay nearly anyone to be a sign holder. Boring though, and really bad on hot, cold or rainy days.

Ebay is good for selling used electronics especially. You can also play the 'ebay game' where you buy items that are unusually cheap for their type, and resell it for higher. Takes a long time and requires someone over 18 to help you.

Selling homemade items like baked goods, preserves, and even stuffed animals.

Just be creative! There's so many! I had to keep editing this post before I got this list.
#11 Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

do you live in/near a town with a newsagent? I dont know what it is like in the US, but in britain lots of teenagers who are not yet old enough for many other jobs deliver newspapers around the town. Go round all the newsagents in the area and ask it they need a paper boy. chances are at least one will say yes. my brother used to do it 5 days a week. he would get paid £3.50 and hour. thats an hour a day, and two hours on a sunday so works out as about £20 a week. not great, but its regular, easy work that you can fit in before school. you could also get another job as well.
#12 Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

would you be prepared to do dishwashing? I guarantee you will get a job in a hotel or restaraunt washing dishes. I think its a horrid job, but think of the money. Last summer I would wash dishes in two different hotels, worked out as 4.5hrs a day and 9hrs on a saturday (I did lunch at one hotel and supper at another). I really, really hated it, but you dont have to work as much as I did. My mum didnt let me refuse the other job (my mums pretty pushy, she went mad when I refused a saturday night dishwashing in favour of my best friends 18th), it is rubbish pay and really hard and stressful (you wouldnt think it, but it is) but sometimes there is just nothing else. I earnt about £500 that summer.

I used to help with watching sheep and detailing lambs, at lambing time. but then I just thought it was against my morals (in a way, it is like you are supporting meat) so I never went back. and I worked in a boarding kennel feeding and exercising dogs for a week until I had to go back to school. that was a nice job, and £4.50 an hour. you could see if any kennels/dogsitters need help in your area.

And this summer i am doing the laundry in a nursing home, but I think you need to be 16 to do that. you might as well phone up and see.

just a few ideas! :-)
#13 Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGTC View Post

I'm a vegan teen who needs some money and I don't know what jobs I can do. Of course, I've ruled out bagboy/cashier and waiter/busboy. I can't think what a 15 year old vegan teen can do!

Desk Jobs for insurance agencies and such...if you're disciplined go out and get close to your food...pick fruits and veggies!
#14 Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 PM

im sixteen and im a lifeguard. It's a great job and you can start when youre 15. we usually do 20 minutes of sitting and watching people swim then 20 minutes of break to talk and play cards with friends. I actually enjoy going.
#15 Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

do you live near a health food store? iv'e been at mine since i was fifteen, the smaller health food stores are usually looser about regulations and hiring.
#16 Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM

How about working at a bookstore? Also, I don't know about your town, but our parks & rec has children's programs in the summer and they pay very well for responsible teenagers to work with the kids, plan activities, etc. A daycare center might also want help, though I'd imagine they'd want you to be at least 16.

Oh yeah! If you are good at crafts and such, and you have a local market, you could make lots of goods and sell them there. My friend made hemp necklaces and wire earrings, and she did quite well for awhile. My aunt actually makes gorgeous jewelry as a hobby and sells them simply by word of mouth...

I also had my own hobby/business last summer, though it took me a long time to get to the skill level that people would be willing to pay for and I didn't make a lot of profit after all the time, energy and money I put into it... it was still worth it though.

There are all sorts of jobs that you could do... although I guess it does depend on where you live. I'm really close to a decent-sized city, so there are lots of job opportunities here. Most of them do involve retail, but there are many other options...

-sports team mascot/fan (seriously, I know someone who was hired to do this)

-camps/daycamps/kids' programs/parks

-newspaper carrier (even kids can do this in our city)

-door person at local pool/ theatre

-movie theatre person (sell tickets, sweep, etc.)

I'll think of more later if I can
#17 Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

busser.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page