Atheism? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I assume this would be a fairly progressive/radical-minded place, considering we're all vegetarians and vegans, I'd like to ask out of all of you, who are atheists? Or at the least agnostics? And have you any stories about troubles or just interesting events regarding it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Atheist I was actually raised Christian, but I dropped that when I reached middle school. In my opinion, people rely too much on religion to guide them, when they should be trusting themselves and making their own decisions. I also don't support religions that advocate violence, bloodshed, and oppression in the name of "god."
#3 Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm an atheist.

Since I live in a place where the majority of younger people seem to be atheists or agnostics, and since I was raised nonreligious by an atheist dad and an indifferent mum, and since I decided around age 9 I was an atheist (without ever having been a decided theist before that) I haven't ever had any problems.

Except my gran repeatedly asking me "are you a Christian?" - the 'yet' is implied. :eyeroll:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Beginner

Raised atheist, living in the most atheist region of one of the most atheist countries in the world. Yup I'm an atheist. Coming from the background I do its always seemed pretty much given to me, to the extent that a lot of the stuff I see in the foreign media just seems absurd to me. Like the fact that there are people who can actually claim that there is a serious debate between evolution and creationism.
#5 Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm atheist, though I am fairly spiritual. My mother was raised protestant and my father was raised catholic, they didn't know what church to attend once they had kids so we didn't end up going to church at all. I'm glad because this left me open minded in regards to religion. None of my friends are religious, nor are many people at my school so I normally don't run into many problems being atheist around here.
#6 Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

agnostic- to me their is no proof either way
#7 Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

I'm atheist, though I am fairly spiritual. My mother was raised protestant and my father was raised catholic, they didn't know what church to attend once they had kids so we didn't end up going to church at all. I'm glad because this left me open minded in regards to religion. None of my friends are religious, nor are many people at my school so I normally don't run into many problems being atheist around here.

Where I live, everyone is either Christian or Catholic! If you openly admit to being an atheist, you are basically shunned from the community and regarded as a crazy person...that's rural Iowa for ya.
#8 Old 05-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I'd be agnostic. I definitely don't believe in God, but I am a bit spiritual and I'm always interested in religions. My idea is basically: "We're here for some reason or another, let's make the best of it."

But seriously Lazarus, where do you live? I live on the outskirts of Jesusland so I can hardly imagine a mainly-atheistic country.
#9 Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi!

I'm atheist. It's fun. A have a lot of friends who are too.

I was born Muslim, with my daddy muslim and my mom's like catholic or something. We were never very into spiritual things like church or praying or anything, so I was really free to believe what i want. My parents have very few problems with it, and neither do most other people. I'm proud of it.

God is a sham.

I was going to say something else, but i'm honestly too tired to remember what it was. (it was something juicy and opinionated, I'm sure...)

<3<3
#10 Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Tuffenoughtoroc- That's crazy! I would feel so uncomfortable in a community like that. I live in Connecticut about 45 min outside of NYC, not too many people go to church around here.

AberrantBliss- Atheism is fun?
#11 Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not an atheist, but I don't call myself a catholic, baptist, lutheran or anything like that. I also do not attend church (I think I may have been to one a total of four times), and I have never read the bible.

I'm not a very good christian by most people's standards, but I am one nonetheless.

My mother is a baptist, my father is a catholic, and my brother is an atheist. They don't get along so well, and I'm just stuck somewhere in between.
#12 Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm an Atheist.

x
#13 Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Beginner

I grew up going to a Baptist Church with my dad. As crazy as this sounds I use to have really bad OCD. I was always fearful of doing something wrong, and when I got nervous I would have to repeat a prayer over and over in my head to relieve myself. Once I was about 13 or so I became agnostic, and I am now atheist. I believe that religion causes unnecessary fear in people. Once I stopped believing in something that didn't even exist I no longer had that fear anymore. I still have some obsessive compulsive tendencies, but nothing that is related to religion or fear of the devil.
#14 Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM

I am christian, and very strongly so. However, my beliefs don't fit any branch of christianity that I am aware of.. I pick and mix what sounds right to me, and makes sense.
#15 Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

My beliefs are much different than anything contemporary.

I do not believe in any religion's God. My God has nothing to do with morals, simply creation.

I guess you could say it is the force that set everything into motion, the unifying theory that explains everything, the God that gave us science. If scientists ever discovered the equation that understands everything, those numbers would be my God.

I think people have butchered spirituality with religion, and are working on butchering science. It makes me sad.
#16 Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

My beliefs are much different than anything contemporary.

I do not believe in any religion's God. My God has nothing to do with morals, simply creation.

I guess you could say it is the force that set everything into motion, the unifying theory that explains everything, the God that gave us science. If scientists ever discovered the equation that understands everything, those numbers would be my God.

I think people have butchered spirituality with religion, and are working on butchering science. It makes me sad.

+1
#17 Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by felltir View Post

I am christian, and very strongly so. However, my beliefs don't fit any branch of christianity that I am aware of.. I pick and mix what sounds right to me, and makes sense.

I'm kind of like that as well. I follow what seems right to me.
#18 Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM

I'm an atheistic Buddhist with slightly Wiccan tendancies. Works for me.
#19 Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Beginner

I was raised a Catholic so naturally...lol.

For the record, there are quite a number of articles on sceptic websites that elaborate why the popular definition of agnostic is unhistorical and irrational.

Thomas Huxley defined agnosticism foremost as the philosophy of not being certain of anything that is not logical. Agnosticism deals with knowledge, or more accurately, the lack of knowledge regarding metaphysical concepts. Everyone is either a theist or atheist because they believe or don't believe in God. A theist believes in God and an atheist either doesn't believe in God or believes God does not exist. Either way, agnosticism is not mutually exclusive with theism or atheism.

I wanted to point that out because some people tend to ignorantly create needless divides between themselves and other people because of the way a word is defined. The majority of people who label themselves agnostic are an example. If you've ever talked to an "agnostic" you'll find their beliefs are no different than most atheists.
#20 Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElArte View Post

I was raised a Catholic so naturally...lol.

For the record, there are quite a number of articles on sceptic websites that elaborate why the popular definition of agnostic is unhistorical and irrational.

Thomas Huxley defined agnosticism foremost as the philosophy of not being certain of anything that is not logical. Agnosticism deals with knowledge, or more accurately, the lack of knowledge regarding metaphysical concepts. Everyone is either a theist or atheist because they believe or don't believe in God. A theist believes in God and an atheist either doesn't believe in God or believes God does not exist. Either way, agnosticism is not mutually exclusive with theism or atheism.

I wanted to point that out because some people tend to ignorantly create needless divides between themselves and other people because of the way a word is defined. The majority of people who label themselves agnostic are an example. If you've ever talked to an "agnostic" you'll find their beliefs are no different than most atheists.

Calling yourself agnostic is just a polite way of saying you are atheist. (heard that one at work)
#21 Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm an unorthadox and pretty liberal Muslim with at least some liking of most other religions and one or two philosophies that dont neccesserily involve a God.

Even though I try to be a very tolerant individual, there are some religious schools of thought that I detest; the mindset of wahabis and rightwing American evangelists comes to mind.

Even though a huge amount of Muslims are not environmentalists, Islam strongly advocates kindess to animals, modest eating and conserving resources, which is a huge motivator for me (however not true or 'evil' some might consider it to be, this is a fact that I've not seen an argument against let alone a successful refutation)
#22 Old 05-25-2008, 01:47 AM

<-Atheist. It's a bit dodgy as my dad is training to be a priest.

#23 Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 AM

Atheist.

Although I do favor Buddhism a lot.
#24 Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Atheist.
#25 Old 05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Raised Catholic, now atheist. I do try to follow most of the teachings of Siddhārtha Gautama (Buddha), but I don't think I do well enough to actually consider myself Buddhist.
#26 Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 AM

I guess I'd come closest to being atheist? I can't say for sure that I don't believe there's a god, but to me it doesn't make a difference. Honestly, the aspects of religion that most people find comforting (like the idea that god has a plan for each person's life) are the parts that I'm like least. And so if there is a god, I'd rather not believe it.

And I live in a very rural part of New York, and church is a big thing here. There's not actually a lot to do, so church is sort of a social thing. Even the teens I know who'd seem far from religious by the other ways they spend their time... go to church-sponsored teen activities, like a camp during spring break or a program every Thursday. When you don't go to church, it makes it sort of awkward - my friends don't understand, and so they won't invite me to do things even when they're in the church (like when "An Inconvenient Truth" was being shown in the Catholic church here). Of course, it also doesn't help that I was technically born Jewish (though no one in my family has ever been religious), and so my family makes up my town's entire Jewish or semi-Jewish population. I remember when one of my friends first learned I was technically Jewish, her mom didn't hesitate to say "Oh, we like Jews. They're nice people." (Because all Jews are nice people? I don't think so.) Religion is weird here, and I really wish it weren't such a big deal.

#27 Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansftw View Post

Atheist.

Although I do favor Buddhism a lot.

<---Same here.
#28 Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm athiest all the way! I used to be a Seventh-Day Adventist, but I completely dropped that in a split second one day while in class my sophomore year of High School. Greatest feeling I ever had.
#29 Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Agnostic Jew
#30 Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure of what I am..I was raised in a Christian household, but don't believe in the same things they do.

Well, you can say, that I believe in kindness and respect for others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page