VeggieBoards banner

How should I explain becoming vegetarian to my parents?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PepperBoi 
#1 ·
So like I went vegetarian a week and a half ago and it's getting harder and harder to keep it from my family. I want to tell them but can't figure out how. I used to love chicken and were having my old favorite chicken dish tonight. I've become vegetarian because i don't really like how red meat tastes and because factory farming is cruel. My whole family is really like there meat eaters all of them, and it is the main thing they eat. i think my dad would be mad and my mom would understand, because my dad thinks people who have different eating habits are queers. But how can I tell them. I'm not entirely sure why I'm keeping it a secret. Oh and I have been vegetarian for two weeks. Thanks

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperBoi View Post

Hmmmmmm....... That could work. I do like chicken though........ hhahaha um is there a kind of vegetarian who only dosent eat red meat......just out of curiosity
I'm afraid not. There are lots of chicken substitutes so you can have the taste without having to know an animal died just for you to eat it. Your nearby grocery store should have them. Morningstar Farms is a popular brand and is quite good.

#10 ·
Quote:

TOFU DOGS!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!! hahaha i looked on wikipedia and it said semi vegetarianism. but

mhhhhm i just think it would be easier for my family to accept, and I sort of like how fish and poultry taste. I could do that if absolutely necessary.
There really is no such thing as semi-vegetarian. It's like being semi-pregnant. You either are or you aren't. Reducing the amount of meat you eat is a wonderful thing. I suggest you tell your parents and try being vegetarian for a month. It's not as hard as you might think and if it turns out to be too hard for you right now you can go back. A 30 trial is also much easier to explain to parents.

#11 ·
lol, hate semi veggies! sorry, couldent resist. there are people who call themselves vegetarian and still consume chicken and fish, but to me (and probably the majority of whole vegetarians and vegans) I just think its wussy, n/o.

As for the wholes parents thing, I just flat out told my dad, but then again he already knew that being vegan wouldent kill me (high school girl friend) and he was like, whatever floats your boat. My mother on the other hand (dont live with so it didnt really matter) accused me of an eating disorder, and all that, practicly forced me into taking vitamins, but i was like whatever, lol.

I dont know your parents, so i cant really give you any advice except, just stand your ground i guess.

good luck and crongrats!

#13 ·
Quote:

Hmmmmmm....... That could work. I do like chicken though........ hhahaha um is there a kind of vegetarian who only dosent eat red meat......just out of curiosity
No, that's just called a picky eater.

Don't get too worked up about the label. Any amount of meat reduction is great, but if you are still eating meat of any kind (fish, poultry, pork, etc.), then you are not a vegetarian. And, if you are only doing this for the label anyway, you are not going to stick with it.

I would suggest researching vegetarianism. Try www.vegetarianteen.com , www.goveg.com , http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/

Good luck!

#14 ·
If you're worried about telling your parents, print off (or atleast know) lots of information about vegetarianism first - you parents are likely to think that it is unhealthy, dangerous, etc. so they will be more worried about your choice. However, if you have the information there to say that it IS healthy then they will feel more comfortable with your decision.

You could tell your parents that you want to try it out for a month, see how it goes - once they see that it is not too inconvient and you will still be getting a healthy, balanced diet then this will make them more happy with it too.

Oh, and I have to agree that there is no such thing as "semi-vegetarian". However, cutting back on the amount of meat you eat at all is a fantastic thing in my opinion.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyemu15 View Post

My parents wont let me...I been trying for almost 2 years...
Have you shown them lots of information and websites supporting the idea? Do you know why they wont let you? They could have a good reason, like they don't have enough time to cook for you (you could offer to cook for yourself) or that they are worried it will be unhealthy (you can show them websites supportng it).

It took me a long time for my parents to accept that I wanted to go vegetarian but I believe it was because they didn't know enough about it and was worried it was unhealthy. I printed out lots of infromation for them and then they agreed to it

#17 ·
Gillibean, I told my mom first and she was like, ok whatever floats your boat I'm not making two meals at dinner. Thank you for your help, and i hate chicken i was at the moment thinking they'd except it better if I only stopped eating red meat. Thanks man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.