Traveling as a vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone

I am going to france with school in June and I am worried that there won't be anything vegan to eat there. Any sugestions on foods I could bring or restaurants I could go to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure how it's possible to not find anything vegan to eat there. Will you be unable to cook during this time or something?

You may also have to consider the regulations on taking things like food with you, depending on where you are.
#3 Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 AM

I'm not a teen, but you might try contacting member, lavande. She's living in France, and would have some good ideas, I reckon.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM

#5 Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Will you really have time for restaurants? If you're with school, will they let you out of their sight for long enough?

Plus, asking for restaurants across the whole of France is pretty vague. Just go to any place and ask for "frites"!
#6 Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM

You could always bring non-perishable staples of your current diet (like nutritional yeast flakes, grains, dried beans, anything dehydrated) and cook up those. You can also special order products online if you're willing to pay for shipping. At restaurants: don't be afraid to ask for stuff plain, or substitute; the worst that can happen is they say "no". I don't know if you can speak fluent French or not, but hopefully you'd be able to somehow tell the waiters your dietary needs.
#7 Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replys everyone!

I forgot to say that I won't be able to cook when I am there. Breakfast and dinner are included with the tour package and I have let the tour company know I am vegan. So really it's just lunch and snacks that I have to worry about. I will be out at restaurants for lunch (in Paris and Nice).

Any more ideas?
#8 Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM

France, wow! You are lucky! For my junior year I want to be an exchange to australia, but you know that is different because I will be able to shop for myself. When do you go?
#9 Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to paris for a long-weekend in 4 weeks, I really think that the veg*an options are pretty good there. There is always something
#10 Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post

When do you go?

in June
#11 Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 PM

I just went on a trip to Italy and France with my school on March Break. The tour company asked about food restrictions ahead of time, so they could make arrangements for breakfast and dinner. I am not really vegan (yet) but I avoid dairy and eggs wherever possible, so I did sometimes have a hard time finding lunch and snacks within the limited time frame. The veg. food was awesome in Italy, where it's just normal to use fresh vegetables and olive oil.

In France, the food options were not so impressive, with the exception of the bakeries near our hotel. But then again, we only stayed in Paris for 2.5 days and we were going on a budget, so of course we couldn't afford to eat at the better restaurants in an extremely expensive city like Paris. You'll probably have more time to look for vegan options, since you'll be there a bit longer. But anyway, one night I walked into the restaurant and saw the cook serving both chicken and vegetables with the same scoop, so I just couldn't eat that part. And everyone else in our group got barely-cooked meat of some sort for that meal, so make sure you tell them you're vegan!! Croissants are cooked with butter, there is Milka chocolate in all the stores, and even the pizza at the restaurant was cheese-filled. I am sure there is lots of vegan food available in Paris, but it might not be easily accessible on a tight schedule. You might need to make a stop at a store if your tour company doesn't provide you with meals and such. Food is pretty cheap at the markets and supermarkets, so if you have time to find one it would be worth it. The touristy areas are typically where it's tough to find veg. food, I think. Like, I saw fast food restaurants and high-end on and near the Champs-Élysées, but near our hotel we had stores with actual food and bakeries so we could get something decent for lunch. If you look up where your hotel is, you might be able to find a store nearby before you go! We were lucky and got a really nice hotel near a métro station in the business area of Paris, and there were lots of stores nearby.

Anyway, good luck! The trip will be amazing, I'm sure. Take a million pictures... and if you have a chance to go to Versailles, definitely go! It was absolutely amazing. One of my favourite things about Paris was definitely the métropolitain, even though it was scary at first. Yes, I loooooooved the métro SO much!!! I miss Italy and France so much now.

OOPs, just noticed that you already told them you're vegan. I don't know what tour you're going with, but our company took quite good care of us and the trip was amazing... (Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our tour director, who was totally awesome, and all the girls fell in love with him by the end of the trip... hehe)

#12 Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Bekah!

You were very helpful.

Reading what you said about France got me sooo exited!!

I can't wait
#13 Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey!

I'm going to Paris and Nice in June too,

(I moved to the US when I was 10 and I visit every summer)

This hasn't been that much of a problem for me except for once in a while (although I'm a vegetarian, so it easier for me).

Well, I really don't have much advice...I usually pig out on the unhealthy vegetarian stuff when I am there because I only get that wonderful food once a year. Yummy bread, tartines, chocolate, eclaire...all the delecious sugary stuff.
#14 Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I so wanna travel too! your lucky to go to France like wow! yeah im sure there's vegan food there (as there is anywhere)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page