help, my family thinks i'm using "i'm a vegan" as an excuse for an eating disorder - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 PM

I would like to say i don't have one. 'kay. I became a vegan last year. I was always a little chubby/overweight. At first I gain about 10 then after two months of it I lost weight like crazy. I went from a size 16 to a size 4 within a year. I'm 5'9" so that is extra small. My family (the paternal side by the way) are convince that I have a eating disorder. It is really frustrating. They are trying to make me eat meat. I try to explain to them that I believe eating any animal byproducts is wrong. But they keep saying that is just plain "foolishness" and I "need to eat." I has try so explain that my mom side of the family has always been quite thin. Model-type looking women that would be on the "thinspos". They are so convinced that I have an eating disorder. I'm not even underweight. I am 5'9" and weight 140 pounds. So my BMI is 20.7. I get the feeling that the women are jealous. They are always on some kind of diet. It is very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Beginner

Well, if your BMI is 20.7 then you're at an excellent weight. It sounds like your family doesn't realize what a healthy weight is. I get told I'm too thin a lot, too (my BMI is almost the same as yours). I just like to reply "Yeah, I look thin because I'm not a normal weight; I'm a healthy weight" . Although BMI isn't always totally accurate, a healthy one is considered to be between 18.5 and 24.9. There are plently of sites and so on that say this. Try showing them one of them. If they still don't believe that, you could probably consider seeing a doctor about it. Any decent doctor would tell you you were a healthy weight. However, some doctors have problems with vegan diets... unfortunately. But really, your weight sounds fine.
#3 Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

That is a lot of weight to lose so fast, how were you eating before you went vegan?

After?

If you're getting enough fats, carbs, ect. in your diet you should be fine and in that case you would be doing your body a favor.

How do you feel now physically after going vegan?

If you have more energy and you're not feeling worse than you did as an omnivore I'd say this was a healthy switch. 140 and 5' 9" seems very healthy to me. I agree with HalfInsane that next time you go to the doctor ask if it is healthy to loose such a large amount of weight in a short time, and then ask if you're healthy where you are now.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 AM

you also have to remember that society's idea of the proper weight has gone a little askewed, people dont want to admit that most americans have become little fatties
#5 Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

You sound fine to me. I'm about 5'10" (I grew! Woohoo! I thought I was an inch shorter... but nope!) and I'm about 145 lbs. My mom's side of the family is tall and thin too! Weird! My mom is 6'2" and quite thin.

I'd say just keep at it and let them see you eating. If they see that you are eating plenty and not going to the bathroom constantly maybe they'll get a clue.

And continue to come here for support!
#6 Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It isn't ?

just tell them that ur BMI says you are healthy
#7 Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 AM

My mum had a talk with me about that too when I said I was going vegetarian. My BMI is exactly the same at the moment (But I'm a shorty! 63.5 and 118-119 pounds), I was a chubby kid as well (as in, clinically overweight by 1 pound) and I think my family is still not used to a normal me. I think it makes my mum feel kinda bad too, because she is overweight (well, my whole family is except maybe my little brother, since he is still growing), but she has a thyroid condition and 3 kids, so it's hard for her.

Just show them that you are as concerned for your health as they are, but you are also concerned about the ethical implications of eating/using meat and animal by-products. Try to provide them with research about how healthy a balanced vegan diet can be.
#8 Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 AM

My mum had a talk with me about that too when I said I was going vegetarian. My BMI is exactly the same at the moment (But I'm a shorty! 63.5 and 118-119 pounds), I was a chubby kid as well (as in, clinically overweight by 1 pound) and I think my family is still not used to a normal me. I think it makes my mum feel kinda bad too, because she is overweight (well, my whole family is except maybe my little brother, since he is still growing), but she has a thyroid condition and 3 kids, so it's hard for her.

Just show them that you are as concerned for your health as they are, but you are also concerned about the ethical implications of eating/using meat and animal by-products. Try to provide them with research about how healthy a balanced vegan diet can be.
#9 Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 AM

it seems to me that although you are a healthy BMI, you need to reassure your family by eating more (healthy) carbohydrates like rice and potatos. also, if you eat Quorn, it is lower fat than animal meat, but less calories. It is vegetarian society approved, takes less effort than meat to cook, and is really yummy!

the only downside is that it is a little more expensive...

good luck!
#10 Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFcowgirl View Post

You sound fine to me. I'm about 5'10" (I grew! Woohoo! I thought I was an inch shorter... but nope!) and I'm about 145 lbs. My mom's side of the family is tall and thin too! Weird! My mom is 6'2" and quite thin.

I'd say just keep at it and let them see you eating. If they see that you are eating plenty and not going to the bathroom constantly maybe they'll get a clue.

And continue to come here for support!

ha. my family is the opposite; My dad's family is tall and thin.

While my mom's family is tall and... well.. not thin.

5% are healthy [kids]; 10% are overweight; 85% are clinically obese.

Ironically my mom's family constantly tells me how unhealthy I am for being vegan. ha
#11 Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM

they probably are so ignore them and keep doing what you're doing
#12 Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My family thinks I'm using veganism as an excuse for an eating disorder, too. It really doesn't help that I have actually suffered from anorexia for several years... I am better and healthy now and have been for a while, but they won't let me live it down...

Whatever. I know I'm healthy and happy, and that is all that matters. Maybe they will come around eventually.
#13 Old 01-16-2008, 07:15 PM

I'm a shorty, only 5'3, and i'm def. overweight....maybe even obese(but i'm not massive, i just have a little extra fluff here and there) I just made the switch to vegetarianism, which i hope is going to aide in my weight loss. I also felt very convicted after i watched the "Meet your Meat" video. If you like the way your body looks, and it's considered healthy by doctors, then i wouldn't worry about your parents. Just REFUSE to compromise your beliefs because they are jealous that you're skinny!!! Have they ever considered that most of the time vegan and vegetarian people are VERY healthy, especially if they cater to their vitamin/mineral needs.

Woot for Vegans and Vegetarians!! Another WOOT for healthy bodies ^.^
#14 Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe jsut eat alot. seems to work on the other side of the spectrum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page