reasons? (for going vegan) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Ok, like when I first went vegan (it actually was an English project over animal rights in 8th grade that did it) my dad thought it was "just a phase" , but when months passed and I kept passing up all animal products everyone wanted to hear my reasons (they listened with extreme closed mindedness might I add). What are your reasons, I mean it is I admit uncommon that young people like us here are this committed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive never eaten meat so going vegan wasn't such a big thing. I did it mainly because I became more and more aware of the cruelty within the dairy and egg industry. I'm very lucky to have had such a supportive family when going vegan, alot of my friends thought I was just plain strange when I started but now they seem to accept it more and some are even quite stunned at my comitment.
#3 Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 AM

i started it for health reasons.. but I'm becoming more and more aware and appauled by the animal rights side of it.. and i use that as my argument now as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was vegetarian when I was 11, and 3 years later I became vegan. I did both because of animal rights, and I am pleased to read about how it helps the environment. The health aspect of it is nice too, although as a teen I'm not that interested in diet or anything. I try to eat healthy, but I'm not afraid of a little junk food now and again.
#5 Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Actually I became a vegetarian at 10 after watching some horrifying images on the Spanish news about a dog being eaten alive by some Peruvian army people...it was...really bad. Then around 14 I became interested in maybe there were more reasons to be veg than maybe just bare repulsion and the fact that I was traumatized so I went online and researched and well came across PETA and (always just thought they were a bunch of extremists blah blah) started watching some of their videos and well decided to become vegan after a lot of reasons...

SoOoOo now I've been vegan for two years! yay... and never going back
#6 Old 01-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Animal welfare
#7 Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

researching for a school project this year. found it a bit cruel, so i attempted vegetarianism and found it nicer and with more benifits (lost weight, good for the enviroment).
#8 Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

My dog developed cancer when I was 14, going on 15. When this happened, I was very interested in natural cures and natural medicine. This led me to the thought of vegetarianism. But I didn't actually turn veggie until a friend sent me a link of a video of a factory farm. Her and I both made the switch that day.
#9 Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM

I became vegan after reading "Diet for a New America"

Funny thing is, the reason I read it, was because Weird Al once said he did. Being the rabid Al fan I am, I desided I should read it too. Of course after reading it, I was shocked, and became vegan right away.

My Mom was very supportive and now the whole family is veggatarian. Saddly most of my more distant relitives think I'm only doing it because "Weird Al did it". Now that Ive been doing it for ten months, *hopefuly* people are realizing I'm doing it for the animals (and the health aspect as well)
#10 Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Beginner

I hated the feeling that a once cute and fuzzy animal is sitting in my plate. I HATE factory farms and i can't digest dairy without feeling sick to my stomach.
#11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird Al is vegan? I guess you learn something new every day! Also, that's so cool your whole family went vegetarian! You're very lucky to have such a supportive family.
#12 Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM

My reason was seeing my own future, through my parents. They are overweight, have cancer, and are sick all the time. I made the change to organic and natural foods first, but I soon realized that wasn't enough. Eating animal products leads to cancers and being overweight and unhealthy. I read a whole article on how we are not made to eat meat. We are the only species who has to cook their meat for it to be safe to eat. Go figure.
#13 Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I became vegan for health reasons only. Going by the exact definition, I'm not technically a vegan. I do use animal fabrics, but I don't consume animal-based or animal derived foods.
#14 Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm Vegan because I believe in animal rights, and a complete opposition to exploitation is the only way to live in order to further the cause for animal liberation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

I became vegan for health reasons only. Going by the exact definition, I'm not technically a vegan. I do use animal fabrics, but I don't consume animal-based or animal derived foods.

Then why is your name 'Mr vegan'? It's not some trendy label, it's a movement and you're essentially *******ising it. Just like people who eat flesh from a certain animal but still claim to be vegetarian eventually rendered that word useless, it's lost all of it's meaning nowadays. I'll be damned if that happens to veganism. I know it's probably not as radikool, but Mr. Strict Vegetarian would be more apt.
#15 Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Then why is your name 'Mr vegan'? It's not some trendy label, it's a movement and you're essentially *******ising it. Just like people who eat flesh from a certain animal but still claim to be vegetarian eventually rendered that word useless, it's lost all of it's meaning nowadays. I'll be damned if that happens to veganism. I know it's probably not as radikool, but Mr. Strict Vegetarian would be more apt.

First of all, I made that name before I knew the exact definition of veganism;

Second, what is "radikool" (I prefer "groovy" myself)

Third, isn't a strict vegetarian the same thing as a vegan? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything...just need some answers here.
#16 Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM

I grew up on a farm where daily I watched my father kill animals for meat. It was very traumatizing. I only lived there for the first three years of my life...but I remember what he did and the images have never left my head. I think that is my main reason for going vegan.

Also, when I heard about factory farming, I felt repulsed at the fact by eating meat and dairy I was supporting such an evil industry. Then all of the drama about fur, animal testing etc...I just couldn't live with myself anymore unless I did my part to avoid supporting evil causes.

Going vegan was the best decision that I have ever made and I will never turn back!
#17 Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Third, isn't a strict vegetarian the same thing as a vegan? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything...just need some answers here.

there are "supposedly" different degrees of vegetarian. People who eat fish or chicken or no red meat ect, I personally think they are hypocrites. I think its all about how you dicide to lable "strict vegetarian"; all the "terms" have been so screwed up...
#18 Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nope. Veganism is the moral baseline of the animal rights position, and the only way to live with reverence for life and respect for the rights of our fellow animals. Strict Vegetarianism is less than that and so is not a moral baseline, or an ethical conviction.
#19 Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Nope. Veganism is the moral baseline of the animal rights position, and the only way to live with reverence for life and respect for the rights of our fellow animals. Strict Vegetarianism is less than that and so is not a moral baseline, or an ethical conviction.

Well put and totally agree!!! There is no percentages, you're either vegan or you're not.
#20 Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

For funsies? Actually, I went vegetarian all those years back (like, five? Yipes! Maybe it's four) just to try it, too. Then of course, it stuck. Now I just can't eat meat.

I'm going vegan now, just because I love eating healthy and I love veggies sooo much. And fruit. Also, I get a chance to cook with TONS of fun new stuff, like, steel-cut oats, miso, bulgur wheat.

Also, dairy (cheese in particular) and I have never got along TOO well. I mean, well... having IBS makes things interesting, so snarfing the raw veggies helps me, lol. In fact, I couldn't even eat vegetarian pizza because the cheese and white crust were killer for me.

BTW, if you're vegetarian, than you are. If you simply avoid red meat, than fine. Better than nothing, eh? It's still giving the same message that you're boycotting the killing of other animals.
#21 Old 02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I went vegan for the animals, my goal is to lessen the suffering of animals in this world and I do so through diet and activism ^^
#22 Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I felt like it.
#23 Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 PM

My reasoning is simple.

I don't like being dependent on things.

When I realised I didn't need to eat animals stay alive -

it was obvious that I would be better off without them.

Their lives have so much more value now - because I see them as living creatures.

Not food on legs.

Some other reasons that certainly motivated me:

The health factor.

Less fat, no cholesterol.

Besides.

I feel heaps better.

Possibly coincidental, but I was severely depressed for most of 2006. When I stopped eating meat, I found my energy levels began to shift.

I've since found everything in my life has improved.

I feel stronger, more alert, I'm generally happier.
#24 Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

1)Animal rights/welfare. The way factory farmed animals are treated is purely sickening. 2)A general respect for life and all the world's creatures that would keep me from eating animals even if they were treated correctly. That hamburger was once a living and breathing being.3)The idea that I am putting something else's flesh/eggs/milk into my body grosses me out. Ew. 4)Health. A balanced(!) vegan diet is taking in so much less fat/calories/colestrol(sp) than a meat based diet.
#25 Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

World hunger

Environment

Health

Animal cruelty

Spiritual reasons
#26 Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM

I also wanted to know reasons for going vegan. I have been vegetarian for a long time, but I'd love to become vegan. However, my mom does not approve of it. She's pretty supportive of me being vegetarian, but not so much being vegan. -sigh-
#27 Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

The animals; Non-human and human.

The environment; It's so depressing to see our earth be destroyed before our eyes.

Health; It's so much healthier. I want to be around to fight for what I belive in, I want to be around to experience all the things I want too do. I don't want to be obese and diseased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page