Too Skinny? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Beginner

OK, so, I'm constantly being told by people that I'm "too skinny", etc. Well, it's honestly starting to get on my nerves. I really don't see it myself, and my BMI is 20. Although, I realized that BMI isn't totally accurate. I'm almost starting to wonder if I really do look too skinny. So, I guess I'm looking for second opinions lol. I always look like a dope in photos... and about that second one, the sun was in my eyes and I didn't know someone had a camera .

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...07-Sept200.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...06/pic1253.jpg

Do I really look too skinny? Does anyone else have a problem with people telling them that they're too skinny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

you're slim, but not bony or anorexic looking. if you're healthy, then

who tells you that you are too skinny? I find older women say it to me because they want to feed me up even though I have a bmi of like 21 and I'm just fine thankyou Also, people might just be jealous.

I also think that people have a kind of skewed idea of what 'skinny' is now that people are getting bigger :/ it's kind of like vanity sizing.
#3 Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I also think that people have a kind of skewed idea of what 'skinny' is now that people are getting bigger :/ it's kind of like vanity sizing.

I totally agree.

HalfInsane, I don't think you look too skinny. You look great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

You dont look too skinny at all, you look fine. And if your BMI is 20, then that is great.
#5 Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

You don't look like skin and bones, it's probably just people being jelous.
#6 Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM

I agree with the others. You're slim but not boney. You look perfectly fine. People tell me all the time I'm "too skinny", you just have to ignore it!
#7 Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You look like you're at a very healthy weight. I agree with the above posters that the idea of 'skinny' has been skewed. You know that you're healthy, so you just have to tune out rude people who think otherwise. I get the same sort of comments all the time, so I know how annoying it is.
#8 Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you look really healthy too.
#9 Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM

BMI of 20 is slim but still healthy.

I wouldn't worry about your weight if I were you, as long as you eat well and are healthy then you'll just look healthy. I have a friend who's skinny but it's her natural weight, in fact she eats more than an average person would yet she looks skinny. On somebody else who'd dieted to that weight they might look underweight, but you can see by looking at her that she's natural smaller framed.

BMI isn't all that accurate and should only be used as a rough guide. Things like bone mass, body fat percentage and frame size aren't taken into account.

As long as you eat a healthy amount, I wouldn't worry about people saying you're too skinny.
#10 Old 10-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
you're slim, but not bony or anorexic looking. if you're healthy, then

who tells you that you are too skinny? I find older women say it to me because they want to feed me up even though I have a bmi of like 21 and I'm just fine thankyou Also, people might just be jealous.

Well, my relatives do to a fair extent, but it's weird because I've always been skinny. Just now that I'm vegan I'm suddenly "too thin", etc. Then I always get the same thing from my friends... which is somewhat confusing, a lot of them are thinner than me but think they're fat and I'm the one who's too thin (they've got some serious self-image problems I guess XD). You've got a good point with that vanity sizing thing.... and I did kinda realize that, but when you hear something enough times you start to wonder.

And so I guess it is just a matter of me learning to ignore it . Thanks for all the replies.
#11 Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 AM

Some people have this view that as soon as you go veggie or vegan, you are suddenly ill, underweight etc. I think it's just because omnis don't know how healthy it can be.

As long as you haven't suddenly dropped weight (which I'm guessing you haven't by your above post) then I think they're just worried about your health.

Ignoring it is probably the best thing to do, or just start munching vegan cakes in front of them ^^
#12 Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Well... I did lose an amazing (drum roll please) five pounds! But yes, some people really do seem to assume that going veg means you're going to be ill and far too skinny. Now that I think about it, my aunt would be a fantastic example. The one day she had said "You look so much healthier lately". She found out less than a week later that I was vegan (and had been for about five months at the time), and then told me "I think you're getting too thin". I hadn't dropped a pound since her last comment XD.
#13 Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

you look fine to me. not to skinny, just slim.
#14 Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I totally agree with what pretty much everyone else has said... I just thought I'd say it again! you look fine!
#15 Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah, you're skinny. But you're not, "OMG go eat now!" kind of skinny. You look very healthy. I had that problem with some friends this summer. My BMI is 18, but I eat. I get it a lot too. It just comes from people being jealous or people not realizing that some people are skinny. Also, since people have that preconceived notion of our diets being unhealthy they automatically assume that anyone on the diet is also unnaturally skinny. I've heard it all before. Blow 'em off. You're skinny, but you look healthy. Keep it up!
#16 Old 11-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Hey gal..dont worry about what people tell u.. U look just fine.. People always want to break ur self-esteem and bring you down..

Never let the society decide who u want to be and who u are...

Believe in your self..

U look cute and healthy.

^_^
#17 Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I get it a lot too. My BMI is around 17.7, but like Lenore, I eat. People are just ridiculous and I do believe it's a jealousy issue. Try to ignore them, or make a point to eat more often in front of them. Hang in there. You look great. =)
#18 Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You look great.

Ignore everyone else
#19 Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone

My aunt always used to pull me aside at family gatherings and ask "Katie...are you eating?" She accused me of being anorexic constantly I was stick thin but I ate normally- well, I was omni back then

Now she's gotten off my back and asks if my mom's eating, lol.
#20 Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the replies. I'm certainly not worried about being too skinny now. I just hear it so often that I had to check, you know? (just wish I didn't look so ridiculous in those photos... XD). Anyways, thanks again everyone.
#21 Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Beginner

You look healthy.
#22 Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM

I was about to make a tread about this. OK, here's the thing. I am 14, 5'9" and I weigh only a pathetic 110 pounds. I am trying to gain weight but it is really hard because I have a stomach condition (irritable bowel syndrome) and then also the fact that I am a vegetarian. So how do I gain weight and stay healthy?? Thanks!
#23 Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Anna, I'm not as tall as you (I'm arond 5'4"), but I weigh less. I eat, but I'm relatively thin...and don't want to gain. So, maybe I'm not the best help but I'll try.

What do you eat in a normal day? Do you eat lots of "healthy fats"? Have you tried counting calories? www.fitday.com
#24 Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Let's see in a normal day this is kinda an idea of what I eat...give or take:

Breakfast:

BIG bowl of Honey Bunches of oats w/ milk

Tall glass of Orange Juice

Bagel with Jelly or Peanut Butter

Lunch:

PB&J sandwich

chips

apple/banana

salad

cheese

cookie (2)

7UP or like grape soda...something like that

Snack:

trail mix stuff

Fruit Smoothie

Dinner:

spaghetti

bread stick

cooked vegetables

water

apple/banana

dessert of some sort

snack:

rice crispy treat

celery

orange juice

sometimes ice cream

yup. so that's about what I eat in a day. I don't know what to do to gain weight! I wanna gain about 20 pounds but while doing so STAY HEALTHY.

Thanks guys!

-Anna
#25 Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. I'm 5' 5" and weigh 100 lbs. I'd like to gain weight, but I'm already eating around 2300 calories a day. My body burns them off really fast apparently, because I rarely exercise.

I don't even eat as healthy as you. It's hard for us slim girls to gain weight sometimes ;]
#26 Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 PM

im like that too O.o

Anna, you don't gain any weight from eating all of that?
#27 Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 AM

nope none at all...it's actually kinda frustrating. Everyone else in America (or UK, China, Mars, wherever) is trying hard to lose weight but they can't while I can't gain a pound.
#28 Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Now i feel fat. im 5'6-7 and 115 ( guy, 13)
#29 Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Beginner

I don't ever really seem to gain weight or lose weight... lol. I can't seem to do either, my weight just sits right where it is. But that's probably not a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying_to_be View Post

Now i feel fat. im 5'6-7 and 115 ( guy, 13)

That's not fat at all... not underweight, but certainly not fat.
#30 Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess ill go puke some more :P ( JUST KIDDING)

anyway I mentioned it (at school) and everyone said I wasn't fat. I feeel better already

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page