I don't know what type of vegetarian I am - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 PM

*well, i know i am a vegetarian, thats for sure.

*sometimes i have to eat meat at my house when there is nothing else, in a VERY VERY VERY RARE occasion. other than that i stick to my plan.

*I eat eggs

*I eat dairy products, but I am trying to plan on cutting down on it

*I do not eat any meat of any kind

*No jello either, but marshmallows which are made of pig skin

When it comes down to this, what kind of vegetarian am I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

You contradict yourself. One moment you say "sometimes I have to eat meat" then you say " I do not eat meat". Either you do or you don't. If you don't eat meat you are lacto-vegetarian (presuming you don't eat eggs, you didn't mention them. If you do eat meat you are not vegetarian.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

You contradict yourself. One moment you say "sometimes I have to eat meat" then you say " I do not eat meat". Either you do or you don't. If you don't eat meat you are lacto-vegetarian (presuming you don't eat eggs, you didn't mention them. If you do eat meat you are not vegetarian.

I have to agree with Kiz. Now, I can understand your situation, though. If given the choice, you don't eat meat, which would make you a type of vegetarian. But, you didn't mention eggs either, so it makes it harder to classify you. Give us more detail, and correct the minor contradiction (I'm not trying to sound rude if I do), and we can help a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

hmm being vegiteran mean no meat....
#5 Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

You would be lacto-ovo but the gelatin(or pig skin ) in the marshmallows will make you an omni because you're eating dead animals. If you cut out the marshmallows then you would be a vegetarian.
#6 Old 09-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Beginner

If you eat meat at all you're a meat eater
#7 Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animall0versist View Post

If you eat meat at all you're a meat eater

well, it's not my fault, sometimes my mom makes something and there is absolutley nothing else to eat. i would definetly not eat any meat if i had mroe things to have at home. but like i said, it only happens in a VERY VERY VERY VERY rare while. so, ya i guess i will have to give up marshmallows... but what about smores...
#8 Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

I have to agree with Kiz. Now, I can understand your situation, though. If given the choice, you don't eat meat, which would make you a type of vegetarian. But, you didn't mention eggs either, so it makes it harder to classify you. Give us more detail, and correct the minor contradiction (I'm not trying to sound rude if I do), and we can help a little more.

ok i will be more specific. my parents have been making more things for me lately as well as making things for myself, so i am absolutely sure i dont eat meat anymore. (Yay). but i still cant resist milk and eggs, so i still eat that. i only eat eggs once in a while, but i eat dairy almost everyday (i wish i didnt). i think that is as specific as i can get unless u r asking any other questions.
#9 Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

yes i did mention eggs, look at my first post
#10 Old 09-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi,

If you don't eat meat at all (or gelatin and products made of animals) but you still eat eggs and dairy, you would be an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Ovo for eggs and lacto for dairy. Thats what I am. One day, maybe when I go to college I will become a vegan.
#11 Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Beginner

i havent eaten meat since i was a little girl, and even when there is no other option i would just not eat
#12 Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM

thanks guys. you really helped me out and now i know that i am a lacto ovo vegetarian.
#13 Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

not realyy. veggie= not eating meat.

that doesn't mean not eating meat when you feel like it. you aren't really veggie.
#14 Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying_to_be View Post

not realyy. veggie= not eating meat.

that doesn't mean not eating meat when you feel like it. you aren't really veggie.

i dont eat meat anymore... -_- i said that earlier...and i don't eat marshmallows anymore either.
#15 Old 10-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

You would be lacto-ovo but the gelatin(or pig skin ) in the marshmallows will make you an omni because you're eating dead animals. If you cut out the marshmallows then you would be a vegetarian.

I disagree. Vegitarians dont eat MEAT.

Vegans deal with the bi-products part. Gelatin I was told was made out of hooves, bugs, and now big-skin, so Im a bit confused, but over all-

I do believe gelatin is a bi-product, corect me if Im wrong.

Allso- you would be lacto(dairy)-ovo(eggs).
#16 Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritHowl View Post

Vegans deal with the bi-products part. Gelatin I was told was made out of hooves, bugs, and now big-skin, so Im a bit confused, but over all-

A vegetarian who's veggie for moral/ethical reasons won't eat the bi-products such as gelatine (which is made from hooves), animal rennet (it's the lining of calves' stomachs) or wear leather as an animal has had to die for the product to be produced. A health vegetarian may not care about the bi-products but then they wouldn't truly be vegetarian.

It's not just vegans who "deal" with the bi-products part thank you very much.

Things with any parts of dead animals are NOT vegetarian. Why on earth are all the products with gelatine in them classed as "not suitable for vegetarians" even though they don't have meat in them?

Let's look up a dictionary definition of vegetarian shall we?

"People who leave meat, poultry, fish and other animal-derived foods out of their diets."

From Wikipedia: "Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes all animal flesh, including poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, and slaughter by-products."

Enough said.
#17 Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

A vegetarian who's veggie for moral/ethical reasons won't eat the bi-products such as gelatine (which is made from hooves), animal rennet (it's the lining of calves' stomachs) or wear leather as an animal has had to die for the product to be produced. A health vegetarian may not care about the bi-products but then they wouldn't truly be vegetarian.

Things with any parts of dead animals are NOT vegetarian. Why on earth are all the products with gelatine in them classed as "not suitable for vegetarians" even though they don't have meat in them?

"People who leave meat, poultry, fish and other animal-derived foods out of their diets."

From Wikipedia: "Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes all animal flesh, including poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, and slaughter by-products."

Enough said.

You sound angry. Have a smile.
#18 Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Enough said.

Vegetarianism is a diet, and does not cover leather (unless you eat it.) Furthermore, some of those who are vegetarian for ethical reasons will use leather that they had already payed for, or was being sold second-hand, as it does not contribute any further to the industry.
#19 Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha_s1298 View Post

You sound angry. Have a smile.

I got more and more angry as I wrote the post. Only getting an hour of sleep for 3 nights does that to me..
#20 Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 PM

You're the non existent type of vegetarian.
#21 Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkai View Post

i dont eat meat anymore... -_- i said that earlier...and i don't eat marshmallows anymore either.

then if you don't eat met or animal biproaducts then your a normal veggie

( octo w/e)
#22 Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritHowl View Post

So whats the point in not eating the meat if you're going to eat the rest of the animal?

The way you're saying it its ok for a vegetarian to eat the dead animal's blood, bones, hooves, eyes, skin etc as long as they don't consume the muscle tissue.

I would call that an omnivore as it consumes the corpses of animals.

This is not personal preferance its common knowlege.

btw gelatin is made of bones and hooves ground up, not bugs
#23 Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Vegetarians do not eat anything that results in the DIRECT killing of the animals. Meat & Gelatin.

Vegans do not eat ANY animal products. Direct or Indrect murder.
#24 Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Why on earth are all the products with gelatine in them classed as "not suitable for vegetarians" even though they don't have meat in them?

Not everyone has the wonderful system of food labels such as these...
#25 Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animall0versist View Post

i havent eaten meat since i was a little girl, and even when there is no other option i would just not eat

I'm the same.

I am vegan, and if there is nothin in the house that is vegan then i wouldn't eat. Simple as...seems a bit harsh but i wouldn't just eat meat or dairy because theres nothin else.

Then i would make sure i go shopping the next day to get some food =]

But if you eat meat then you are a meat eater...simple as

F x
#26 Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

I don`t eat meat but i can`t resist any form of chocolate!And i never check if it`s vegetarian or not,and i do eat meat if there`s nothing else in the house,on a very very rare occasion.so i do know were your coming from.
#27 Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM

Gelatin is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, extracted from the collagen inside animals' connective tissue.

and

Blood, cartilage, and bone are usually considered connective tissue

....I think that being vegetarian means eliminating such things from ones diet...right?

Sorry if that seemed a bit snappy! Especially as its my first post!
#28 Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Beginner

You're lacto-ovo. You can still be lacto-ovo and eat marshmellows all that means is you're not a vegan. Plenty of vegetarians eat butter and yogurt and drink milk but they are still vegetarians. All of those items have animal byproducts in them just like marhsmellows.
#29 Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 AM

Taking into consideration the changes you have made in you diet since the first post, you are lacto-ovo vegetarian.
#30 Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 PM

psh.. you're a flexitarian.. which pretty much means you're an omni who eats meat rarely... i actually really hate this term but if it makes you happy go for it.

i think you should stop beating around the bush and just go veg though... it's not that difficult and I'm sure there's like a can of beans or something like that in you'rehouse that isn't meat. And if meat is actually ALL you have in your house (which i doubt), go spend 25 cents on ramen.

if you want to be a vegetarian then be one, and don't call yourself one if your not... not to be rude but it makes you sound like a hypocrite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page