Do you buy lunch, or pack? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

With my school lunches pretty much there wouldn't be anything for a vegan to eat except for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit/veggies (and some of the drinks obviously). As for vegetarian foods, I usually just get a salad, rarely I'll get a pizza, and the occasional meat-less main meal; mostly all of the sides are vegetarian which I'll get. But I'm definitely going to start packing soon so I can have a little more variety and....more food. Also because the rice and pasta are always drowning in butter which isn't healthy.

So..... -getting to the point now- Do you pack, or do you buy lunch? If you buy, what foods do/can you get that are vegetarian??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost always pack--buying is usually if I forget my lunch. Usually I can find something, because my school has a salad bar, except for at the very end of the year. Occasionally they have vegetarian soup. If they don't have those things, they have fruit most of the time, and I can get trail mix from the vending machines or mooch something I know is vegan from a friend, lol.

If worse comes to worst, they have french fries..
#3 Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Beginner

I always pack..or if I forget I'll get some preztels out of the vending machine. I think it's more fun to pack your own lunch since I have complete control and don't have to worry in the back of my head if the soup was cooked in chicken broth or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I always pack my own lunch. Good lunch food items off the top of my head:

Sandwiches (PB, PBJ, hummus, veggie burgers, vegetables, fake sandwich meats, you can also vary the type of bread)

Bagels (with cream cheese or Tofutti cream cheese)

Leftovers (a surprising number of meals are really good cold, I'm partial to rice and stir fries)

Steamed vegetables

Fresh fruit/veggies

Dry cereal

Muffins

Pretzels

Yogurt/Soy yogurt (pack an ice pack with these)

There are a ton of threads on the teen forum and the rest of the boards about packing lunches so try using the search function to find some of them. Here are links to just a few:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ighlight=lunch

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=58754

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ighlight=lunch

Also, there are some good blogs about packing vegan lunches. The three blogs I'm linking you to are all currently inactive, but check back in the archives of the blogs for lots of great ideas:

For some really impressive and creative lunches: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

For some pretty impressive but a little less work intensive lunches: http://www.veganlunchcast.com/

For my lazy lunches which are usually really easy: http://theflyingvegan.blogspot.com/
#5 Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a packer.
#6 Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Basically all my school offers is fries... I don't buy my lunch. They do have soy milk though
#7 Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 PM

I walk home for lunch...and I'm not even a vegetarian yet

Sooo I dunno what I'll eat. Probably cheese and tomato sandwiches.
#8 Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM

I pack.

I would rather not eat the fried mystery food my school serves...

I like knowing what goes into my lunch.
#9 Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I pack. Sometimes I walk across the street to the carry-out. Sometimes I walk home for lunch. Just depends on the day.
#10 Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Beginner

I pack
#11 Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to pack or go to tescos in my lunch break (when I could afford it) I rarely ate the food in the scary overpriced cafe.

I think Ill have to resist the urge to go to veggie cafes when I start Uni, there are a few in the city centre which isn't far from the campus.
#12 Old 09-08-2007, 04:01 PM

I pack! My school is so unfriendly veggie-wise that it's atrocious. Wanting a vegan meal there would be a joke. Anyway, one day I didn't have time to prepare lunch so I had to buy a "lunch" from the cafeteria. This was my meal: rice, grapes, and cornbread. Now doesn't that sound super healthy? I would have gotten the salad but here are two problems with that: 1. They put meat in it and 2. It's iceberg lettuce, which has no nutritional value and is merely ruffage.
#13 Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Well, my school has what it calls a 'vegitarian option'- which is a wilting salad topped with a hunk of some sort of meat (I guess they want you to pick it off) and lots and lots of cheese.

Needless to say, I pack my lunches.
#14 Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
There are a ton of threads on the teen forum and the rest of the boards about packing lunches so try using the search function to find some of them.

oops, sorry about that....

Quote:
Well, my school has what it calls a 'vegitarian option'- which is a wilting salad topped with a hunk of some sort of meat (I guess they want you to pick it off) and lots and lots of cheese.

That's pretty much the way my school is. They have a 'salad bar' with a couple of choices of pre-made salads with either pieces of ham, chicken, and they have a 'veg' salad that has a lot of cheese on it, and sometimes they don't even have that kind. Last year I would just pick out the chicken whenever i got that kind, but I quit doing that after I found little tiny pieces mixed in the lettuce.....
#15 Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Beginner

I always pack lunch, my schools cafeteria food is horrible, even the stuff I can eat. They're always got french fries, onion rings, then there's the "muffins" (which are made our of cake mix and really should be called cupcakes without icing), the occasional slimy old ceasar salad... pizza, chicken strips, perogies, burgers, jello and the nasty soggy nachos. Oh did I mention that they actually deep fry the burger patties? Mmmm... tasty healthiness
#16 Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Theres no cafeteria (Havent ever seen a school with one in Norway) so I have to pack We get free fruit every day though! New of this year, for every school in Norway.
#17 Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Sometimes I bring, sometimes I buy. I'm extremely lucky that my school offers a vegetarian option every day (most times not vegan, but vegetarian is a lot better than normal school lunches) like hummus/pita, grilled cheese, yogurt and berries and granola bar, spicy black bean soup, and a few others I'm forgetting. And then lots of fruit and veggie full side dishes. So I'm happy to see that I can forget my lunch and still have something edible to eat. My school's awesome all around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page