Driver's Permit In-Car & License (help) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Beginner

I have completed the classroom instruction, got my permit, & I've been driving around with my mom for awhile now. Soon I will be starting the 6 hours of in-car training with my instructor, and I was wondering what to expect. Just thinking about it scares me - I have this whole idea in my head of it being a really terrible experience. Is it really that bad?

Also, I plan on going for my license right after I complete the in-car stuff, and I wanted to know what I should expect for that as well.

I can't stand doing things when I know I'm being watched so closely, and I feel like I'm going to mess everything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Don't worry about it! I had a 4-8 hour (can't remember exactly how long) driving instruction program, and it actually helped me a lot. I was nervous during the first lesson, but then I got used to being watched. Just remember that the instructor is there to help you!

Take a deep breath before you start up the car, and relax. That's the best advice I can give you. You won't be able to focus on driving well if you're too busy being worried about your performance. Good luck, and keep us updated!!
#3 Old 01-26-2007, 07:45 PM

I dont have my permit yet, but I think Janie gave good advice. Your mind should be on driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Beginner

I just went through all this stuff a few months ago. Where I live though you can't start driving until after you start the in-car training, so you'll have an advantage, having already been driving!

Like Veggiejanie said, just relax and you'll do fine. I was terrified the first time I started the training but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. When I did it, I just drove around and the instructer would tell me to do things such as pull into a parking lot and park, back up, etc. Mostly it was just about practicing turning corners, coming to smooth stops at lights and other simple things.

For the driving test to get your license, it's not much different. Just make sure you know the hand signals (left, right and stop), and where the lights, wipers, emergency brakes and emergency flashers are because the instructer might ask you to show them where they are (they did for me).

I had all the same bad thoughts in my head about how I was going to get too nervous, mess up and fail. But it ended up being a lot better then I had imagined. So don't worry about it, you'll do fine!
#5 Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

What are emergency brakes?
#6 Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

What are emergency brakes?

Also known as hand brakes or parking brakes. I have never used them in an emergency situation, but often used them when parking on an incline.

Quote:
In cars, the hand brake (also known as the emergency brake, e-brake, park brake, or parking brake) is a supplementary system that can be used if the vehicle's primary brake system (usually hydraulic brakes) has a failure. Automobile e-brakes usually consist of a cable (usually adjustable for length) directly connected to the brake mechanism on one end and to some type of lever that can be actuated by the driver on the other end. The lever is traditionally and more commonly a hand-operated system (hence the hand brake name), the most common configuration being a handle on the floor between the driver and front passenger, and less commonly being a handle bar located on the lower portion of the dashboard somewhere close to the steering wheel column. Alternatively, the lever can also be foot-operated, in form of a pedal in the foot well in front of the driver, located to the far left apart from the other pedals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_brake

All of the vehicles I have driven have had the far-left foot pedal mechanism for these brakes.
#7 Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

that page is really confusing to me. I don't understand how you could park without using your handbrake?! I wouldn't trust just...leaving my car there.

Also,

Quote:
Also, manual transmission cars are recommended to be left in their lowest gear (usually either first or reverse) when parked, especially when parked on an incline.

right. I don't know if this is an American thing but it's weird. The car would stall as you took your foot off the clutch, right? I mean, I guess if you're stopped that won't really matter, but it still doesn't really seem like good driving
#8 Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Beginner

We both live in Illinois so we have to take the same course. I already have my license and don't worry. Behind the Wheel is not hard and bad... they go pretty slow. The drivers test for your license is easier than the final for behind the wheel. (I thought) You may have some different driving situations living in Chicago. Basically, just don't worry.
#9 Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Beginner

OK, thanks you guys. I feel a little bit more at ease now.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I didn't take driver's ed in school - I went to a private driving school. I don't think there's any sort of testing/final for the Behind The Wheel portion. If there is, it was never mentioned.
#10 Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'd rather brake with the gears in an emergency than the handbrake. Not really wanting to take my hand of the wheel at such times (especially since I can't just slam on the brakes or the wheels lock up and I don't want to know where that goes, so I'd have to put the thing on and off and so on).

Quote:
right. I don't know if this is an American thing but it's weird. The car would stall as you took your foot off the clutch, right? I mean, I guess if you're stopped that won't really matter, but it still doesn't really seem like good driving

Turn the engine off before you take your foot off the clutch.
#11 Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I think I'd rather brake with the gears in an emergency than the handbrake. Not really wanting to take my hand of the wheel at such times (especially since I can't just slam on the brakes or the wheels lock up and I don't want to know where that goes, so I'd have to put the thing on and off and so on).

Turn the engine off before you take your foot off the clutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page