eating in college - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Beginner

soo... in august i will be moving to college, living in a dorm and being on my own. my whole family is/are vegetarians/vegans so naturally our kitchen is pretty awesome, always fullllll of fresh, organic fruits and veggies plus a ton of other stuff. we just always have so much food and my mom makes delicious veggie stuff. whatever we eat well. but next year i will be limited to a mini fridge period. i dont have access to a stove... im pretty sure i get a microwave though. and i will have a food allowance from my parents of course but im freaking out. does anyone have good ideas for what i should be buying with my food allowance? im not completely confined to just whats in my mini fridge, i can eat out and in the school cafeteria thing but i dont know what either of those choices will be like. any idea of what to stock my mini fridge and room temperature shelf with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 AM

I am in the same exact boat! I am heading of to Michigan State, what about you?

I signed up for the 15 meals a week. This means I can eat in the cafeteria anytime during the week 15 times. It has great food too! If anything else there is always a awesome salad bar, soy milk for cereal, fruits and other veggies, plain baked goods, potato bars, and often they have vegetarian options that are awesome although not vegan but ya know...
#3 Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I think fruits/vegetables and other things that are easily perishable should stay in the fridge (e.g. berries, lettuce, soymilk, prepared meals)..

and things like grains, dried beans etc. out...

couscous might be a good idea to have around, since all you need is boiling water to prepare it..and you can make it yummy by adding stuff like tomatoes etc.

sorry for not being of much help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Now, even though you won't have access to a stove, if you can get an electric kettle, you can have boiling water for pasta or rice or whatever.

I'm sure that your college cafeteria will have a salad bar, so there's no real need to have lettuce or salad things.

During the winter, make or get prepared soups (many are actually vegan if you look in the right places, I know that my local grocery store actually carries Amy's brand soups, which are vegan/vegetarian.) and warm them up in the microwave.

Of course, have lots of staples. Dried beans, rice, noodles, peanut butter, bread... It will be easier after the first month or so when you start getting accustomed to college life.

#5 Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM

I have a friend who actually lives in a dorm (believe me, that's rare/unusual in Australia!), and she bought a little camping stove thing to cook most of her food on. Otherwise she'd just be living off junk..
#6 Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

lol I'm wondering the same thing. I'll be on my own in a college dorm in August. I'm sooo nervous! you know becuase this will be my first time living away from home.lucky for me though they have veggie menus at the campus. I would suggest briging microwavable stuff and gronola bars.
#7 Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Most colleges will also be willing to work with you to help you get thigns that youc an eat.. much easier to be vegetarian than vegan though.. most places will have salid bars.. pasta bars... pizza etc.... What school???? If you look on their webage you can probably find an e mail for the people who make their food and call them and ask them how their stuff is...
#8 Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM

Everyone has good ideas... stick to cheap staples, like katt mentioned. I lived off campus this past year as a freshman, and I found that keeping around plenty of rice, pasta, soy or rice milk, fruits and veggies were a good way to spend the little money I had for groceries! My favorite things for on-the-go snacking between classes were granola bars, baby carrots, and mixed nuts.

With that said, good luck making the transition to college life, and enjoy your summer!!
#9 Old 06-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Geeeez, this post makes me feel lucky. I am going to Georgia State University, and our dorms were used to house the athlets during the 1996 Olympics, so they're pretty nice; we stay in a suite with personal bedrooms for four students and comes with two bathrooms and a full kitchen. I am very lucky.

Anyway, make sure to check if bringing in a hot pot, electric griddle, camping stove, etc. is OK with your school. A lot of school consider them fire-hazards and have banned them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page