What do you cook? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

One of out members, *AHIMSA*, is teaching a vegan cooking class for teens and she needs your input. What do you like to cook and eat? We're looking for things without any weird ingredients that aren't crazy hard. Any ideas on these themes or suggestions of simple, healthy, delicious and 'accidentally vegan' type of foods?

I posted this here since I know a lot of you don't really look at the rest of the boards. Here's a link to the other thread if you are more interested to post there: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...00#post1277100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually just cook veggie soup, make grilled cheese and veggie and spinach lasange. just ya know nomral food, except without the meat.
#3 Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Beginner

I like to make falafel, or my own veggie burgers. The other night I made curried vegetables, and my sister made this delicious chocolate cake for my birthday...not sure where the recipe went, but she got it from vegweb.com. Try "The Garden of Vegan" or "How it all Vegan" cookbooks. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I bake elaborately more often than I cook elaborately but some of my typical dishes are:

Peanut butter sandwich combinations inspired by www.ilovepeanutbutter.com

Veggieloaf

An Italian meal of foccaccia and olive oil with meditarranean salad and some sort of pasta.

Soups (miso is really easy and fast)

Recipes from "Vegan With a Vengance" and www.theppk.com

Oven fries

Puffy tacos (puffed corn tortilla with black beans, guacamole, sprouts, carrots, lettuce and other veggies).

And of course baked goods like muffins, cookies, scones, bread etc/
#5 Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 AM

I cook rice with vegitables and spices.
#6 Old 06-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I loooove to cook. I bake breads, muffins, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc, etc. VwaV recipes, pasta salad, hummus, stirfries, black bean burgers, falafel, chickpea salad sammiches, tofu scramble, anything with beans, esp chickpeas, the list goes on.

Here's my blog for some ideas: http://www.myvegancreations.blogspot.com
#7 Old 06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

And how could I forget, vegan pizza!
#8 Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would we enjoy eating things that older veg*ans don't? Or the other way around? There'll always be somebody who doesn't like something, so I would advise her to just teach with easy/ quick recipes. That's easiest to teach, and how many teens want to spend hours on an elaborate recipe? Okay, I guess I would, but easy stuff is easier to make again.
#9 Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Xer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany17 View Post

Why would we enjoy eating things that older veg*ans don't? Or the other way around? There'll always be somebody who doesn't like something, so I would advise her to just teach with easy/ quick recipes. That's easiest to teach, and how many teens want to spend hours on an elaborate recipe? Okay, I guess I would, but easy stuff is easier to make again.

Because that's the way it works... the average teen is known for eating junk food, fast food, etc. I'm not sure how that works with vegan teens, though. I'm sure if they get off their butts and actually COOK that they'd cook the same as an older person, so yeah.
#10 Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

one thing i made yesterday was a modified flatbread. it was supposed to have curry and sesame seeds. i didn't have any so i made a sweet flatbread.

1 1/4 c. flour

1/2 c. ground flax

1/4 c. sugar

2-3 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. sea salt

water - enough for dry ingredients to stay together

vanilla - be generous

neutral oil - i used vegetable oil

I just added the dry stuff together, then added water and vanilla and used a mixed with a bread hook. Then i let it sit for 15 minutes, rolled it with a rolling pin then pan fried then with the vegetable oil.

Very good and easy to make.
#11 Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

everything...

i want to be a chef when i grow up (i think.. life is hectic) so i make things ranging from tofu 'ricotta' eggplant parmsean, to preparing and grilling hamburgers for my family. I really enjoy cooking so i'll make a homemade dessert once a week if my family will let me. I ALWAYS cook dinner. Cooking with meat doesnt bother me at all infact while me and my mom had homemade whole wheat pizza today i made my dad and brother ribs- nasty food but they ate it all!
#12 Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM

We used to live in Morrocco and a lot of Morroccan/ N. African food is vegan.

It would be cool to learn how to make a cheeze pizza from scratch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page