skin issues - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Beginner

recently ive become really self conscious about the appearace of my skin, especially my face. i dont have really severe acne or anything but just little bumps on my forehead, blackheads on my nose, and an overall uneven looking skintone. i eat pretty healthy and have been a vegetarian for over half my life so im pretty perplexed as to why i cant clear it up.... it is extremely frusterating ESPECIALLY since i have friends who drink soda (which i dont) and eat junk food... but i do realize it has more to do with your genetic make up (?) than what you eat. i wash my face with the clinique 3 steps twice a day. im just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similiar. any suggestions as to what i should eat more or less of? any terrific face washes.. anything? thaaaanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 PM

Proactive really works!!! Even the cheaper generic store brands of proactive work great too!
#3 Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
wow
Banned

make sure u dont touch ur face with ur hands because thats a big cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I've heard that drinking lots of water, eating fruit, and cutting back on or eliminating dairy can help the skin. Sometimes skin problems are just genetic or hormonal and are out of your control.

I also use the three steps with clinique but I love it. My sister uses a clean and clear one, she has a few pimples, and it really seems to work for her.
#5 Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Beginner

gotta add some more praise to proactiv. works awesome.
#6 Old 04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee Beat! View Post

I've heard that drinking lots of water, eating fruit, and cutting back on or eliminating dairy can help the skin. Sometimes skin problems are just genetic or hormonal and are out of your control.

very true...

I think that even though diet and being careful about irritating your skin (ie. touching, excessive washing, etc), a lot of it has to do with hormones and genetics.

It's just one of those things that's not totally unavoidable...I've tried some treatments, but feel that since I don't have severe acne, they're not worth it. I don't mind having minor skin blemishes and such...however, I didn't always feel that way!
#7 Old 04-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post

make sure u dont touch ur face with ur hands because thats a big cause.

I totally agree with wow on this one. I used to have bad skin and then I took this advice and my skin is so much better for years now . Also, don't mess with it and try too many products. Keep it clean and don't touch.
#8 Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 AM

Chemical products are one thing I won't use.

My face isn't so bad. It's like how you mentioned. Used to be worse, until I started cleaning my face in a certain way.

Wash your face everyday, with warm water and a washcloth. No soap. Don't touch your face, of course. Don't scratch and pick at it. Cleanse your skin (witchhazel is great, or get some thing specified for it. This opens the pores to get the dirt out), tone your skin (a specialized ingredient thingy, this closes your pores so more dirt won't get in), and moisterize (heavy or light cream, depends on your skin).

I use all natural, organic products. Lemon witchhazel (cleanser), rosewater witchhazel (toner), wild lettuce (toner), orange exfoliant (can be used as a cleanser), tea tree oil in a cream. Tea tree oil works brilliantly on blemishes and pimples (just don't use too much). It's cheap, and is good for all sorts of problems.

Here are two sites you can go to for some tips/info and recipes on skincare (and many other things). Cleansers, masques, etc. Care2 and Pioneer Thinking
#9 Old 05-04-2006, 04:10 PM

ive nver had problems with skin except for the fact i dont get tan(mainly cause im Polish)but my friend had really bad acne and she used proactive which worked really well
#10 Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee Beat! View Post

I also use the three steps with clinique but I love it. My sister uses a clean and clear one, she has a few pimples, and it really seems to work for her.

Sometimes people with oily skin sometimes think that they have oily skin when it is actually dry or sensitive.

A really gentle cleaser and rose water for a few days with benzoyl peroxide no stronger than 2.5 % sometimes works wonders.

I like Jason Red elements and Sage Skincare ( www.zerozits.com)

honestly now I use baking soda, rose water and BZ 2.5% at night and my skin has never looked better!
#11 Old 05-06-2006, 02:56 AM

I agree with keenkitty...the most effective thing I've used is anything with a lower percentage of benzoyl preoxide (less than 10%).

I've also heard a lot about dairy causing acne... I even tried to cut out dairy for this reason when I still ate everything. I didn't stick with it, so I don't know if it would have worked.
#12 Old 05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

According to what I've read, acne has nothing to do with how often you clean your face and such. It has to do with bacteria that become active with hormonal imbalances (such as puberty) and can be killed with chemicals such as salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Cleaning your face keeps it healthy, but has nothing to do with acne. I also know this because even before I got acne, I used to always wash my face, and well, I got acne. The only thing that has been able to control it has been using Proactiv along with other treatments with higher concentrations of those chemicals. I also do a mask once a week to get rid of dead cells.

Even though my acne has become much less severe, I still have some. What my parents tell me is that it's temporary. As soon as I'm an adult, it will be gone. I hope they're right....
#13 Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Beginner

DRINK LOTS OF WATER

of course cleansers and diet are important also but this simple trick works wonders. try to drink 8 glasses a day, like we have been told our entire lives. its such an easy thing to do but not many people feel the importance. drinking lots of water definitely helps the texture of skin!
#14 Old 06-24-2006, 08:34 AM

Proactiv is okay, but after awhile, my skin got immune to it.

I have to go through periods where I'll stop using it for a month, then use it again.

But in that month, I break out like nobody's business.

I hear 'less is better,' when dealing with your skin.

Have you tried using a water mask? Not literally water, but a hydrating mask. Sometimes you get breakouts like that from your skin not being pH balanced or even hydrated enough.

I know Mary Kay has a nice one.
#15 Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 PM

Does anyone know some good vegan face washes? Right now I'm using Jason, but it's a hand/face wash. I couldn't find anything else, but it seems to be working.
#16 Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamosrafael View Post

Does anyone know some good vegan face washes? Right now I'm using Jason, but it's a hand/face wash. I couldn't find anything else, but it seems to be working.

Arbonne sells a vegan acne face wash and a basic face wash for all other face types. You can check out their products at my website (in my signature).
#17 Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 AM

try not eating alot of chocolate, scince i have gone vegan, my spots have got much better. and don't poke your face

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page