What was/is your first job? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I have jobs on the brain right now as I can't seem to get one (at least, one that means I can still go to school, and I want to be educated!).

So, what was or is your first job?

I've never had a real job, but last christmas I spent a few hours at a butcher's (ughh, and I was vegetarian then too) my friend works at wrapping sausages in bacon. I need some money, but I'm hoping for better luck in job-searching this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Painting.
#3 Old 10-27-2005, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Supporting disabled people (part-time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM

I worked over the summer at a place that sorts pop cans to send off to recycling. It was.. icky, to say the least. But I had a lot of fun because I was working with my cousin (and making money was great too). Now I'm jobless, but looking for a new one.. preferably working with kids.
#5 Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 PM

Bagging groceries.
#6 Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I filed paperwork for an attorney when I was twelve or thirteen, for 8 hours. That was my first and only job.
#7 Old 10-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

First thing I ever got paid for was delivering phone books.
#8 Old 10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i worked a skating rink.
#9 Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Banned

for about a month i was a temp. office assistant at my mom's work last summer. they were moving and needed help organizing files. it was a huuuge job, i had to organize all the student files they had collected over the years....but that was just temp work

my first job i got myself was at Golden Spoon, a local chain of frozen yogurt places. after that I worked at Jo-Ann Fabrics (big chain in USA) and now I work at a bagel place...I also have a job interview at Charlotte Russe (clothing store) on monday because I'm looking to take two jobs for a while to save up to move to Chicago or something.
#10 Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

my first job was terrible

this bagel place and i relaly hated the boss, i think he hated me too and he fired me AND he didn't want to give me my last paycheck !
#11 Old 10-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I cleaned tanks in an acquarium in Venezuela when I was 9. I got paid 1000 Bs. a day, which was equivalent to $2 back then.

(Take into consideration also, that things there are about five times [I'm serious] cheaper than here)
#12 Old 10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was 15 I worked behind the counter at Nina's Pantry. We sold baked goods and had 18 flavors of ice cream. We also sold filled croissants and sandwiches and soups for lunch. I made milk shakes and floats and egg creams and sometimes Nina let me make some of the baked goods. I gained about 15 pounds working there! They let me eat anything I wanted and they were terribly nice. They always let me take time off when I was in a play. Great first job. Not so good for the thighs, but it was a good first job.
#13 Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at the Uconn Foundation. Yep, I'm a phone solicitor. It pretty much rocks. I get a headset and free water. And college students to buy booze for me. Did i mention $8.50 an hour? Perfect job for an obnoxious and smarmy high school student, right?
#14 Old 10-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

This isn't why I started this thread...in fact, I just found out, but I will have the chance to wrap sausages in bacon again this year, I think. Should I do it? I mean, I don't find it that gross, it's just obviously against my ethics for people to eat meat, so should I support it? Of course, if I don't do it someone else will. I can't get a part-time permenant job, and this will probably be about 6 or 7 hours work for £5 (almost $9! Now you see why I would take this job! Generous butcher!) an hour. That will obviously help enourmously towards Christms presents, as I'm slightly broke.
#15 Old 10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't do it. It's against your beliefs, so even if someone else would do it anyway, it should be someone who doesn't have a problem with it. But that's just me, it's a personal choice.
#16 Old 10-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Beginner

my first job was @ a local coffee shop.. I love it there.
#17 Old 10-29-2005, 06:40 PM

iso..Is there a retail shop where you might be able to pick up some work during the holidays?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

my first job (i still have the job) was bagging groceries.about two months ago i got promoted to cashier, and im starting a second job in november..as a cashier/customer service/stock thing....for a competitor
#19 Old 10-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

iso..Is there a retail shop where you might be able to pick up some work during the holidays?

I'm still looking, of course, but most want you to work full time, which I can't do because of school, and there are a ton of teenagers to take all the other part time jobs. I guess I wont work at the butchers this year.
#20 Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Isowish, with christmas coming up most high street stores are advertising for temporary part time staff, just walk up and down the street looking in windows or ask, or even visit your local job centre. If the worst comes to the worst nearly all supermarkets will be taking on staff for the christmas period. And although shops say they only want temporary staff a lot will offer you a permeant job after the festive season is over.
#21 Old 10-30-2005, 09:07 AM

If the butcher is your only option, then yeah, go for it. I'd bet you might be able to find something else though, at least for a few weeks. Some thoughts:

talking to a temp agency to see if they have any companies who need part-time help with things like file clerks, typing, etc. Some of the places around here have been advertising for phone order takers (for catalog companies) in the evenings.

waitressing..maybe something that is just on the weekends, or a temp position during holidays (especially at some snooty restaurant). Around here, a lot of the upper crust restaurants hire coat checks girls just for the holidays..good money.

babysitting - holidays are a busy time for people

Do they have work-study programs in England? (US program where they try and find you a job to work around your class schedule, subsidized by the govt)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, today I saw an ad at a Newsagents. I know someone who works there, too. The only slight worry is that it is infamous round here for being robbed. I asked Mel (who I know and who works there) about that, and she said it was all exaggerated. "Nobody's been shot in 4 years. Nobody's even been shot at in 2."
#23 Old 10-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Actually, today I saw an ad at a Newsagents. I know someone who works there, too. The only slight worry is that it is infamous round here for being robbed. I asked Mel (who I know and who works there) about that, and she said it was all exaggerated. "Nobody's been shot in 4 years. Nobody's even been shot at in 2."

LOL doesnt sound all that exaggerated to me. And btw another thought, arent you entitled to EMA? I thought one of the reasons the government brought the idea in was to encourage young people to spend more time on their studies rather than working.
#24 Old 10-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup, I'm getting some EMA. Actually, the main problem isn't that I don't have enough money, it's that I feel like I'm taking too much from my dad. I would like to start contributing towards my own living expenses. It just seems fair.
#25 Old 11-06-2005, 09:09 PM

My first job, would be babysitting, if that counts lol Now I'm a receptionist/clean-up at a salon, and I love it! I also help my mom with her home daycare, I love kids! lol

I hope you find a job with good pay!
#26 Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 PM

Well, I worked for a day as a bagger at a grocery store. I had to quit due to back problems and ended up having surgery.

I now work at a game store and have had that job for about a week.
#27 Old 12-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Beginner

my first job was as a busgirl at an Italian restuarant. it was pretty awesome-good pay, good job. unfortunatley when it changed owners everyone under 18 lost their jobs. of course, soon after, it was robbed by an employee (very pervy guy...ewwwy) and some drugs were found . the place was closed. anyway, now I am a checker at hy-vee, which sucks-but at least it's not going to close anytime soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page