How/Why did you decide to become Vegetarian/Vegan, etc.? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2005, 07:17 PM

There is probably a similar thread, so forgive me if there is, and I'll have this one deleted.

Anyways, how and why did you become a vegetarian/vegan, etc., and how did you tell your parents?

I've been thinking about vegetarianism for years. My mom has been a big influence, as she is a 30 year+ vegetarian, but she has never encouraged -- in fact she has discouraged -- me to follow in her footsteps. My dad, on the other hand, is a Texan, so you know what that means...meat, meat, seafood, chili, and more meat. But my mom said she stopped meat because she really didn't like the taste or texture. And my brother will never stop eating meat. He's mainly a poultry person...only red meat is filet mingon.

So, whenever I've brought up vegetarianism, my mom discourages me and uses what could happen to my health as an excuse. But while I was doing some research last week (on animal behavior with natural disasters and their so-called "sixth sense"), I stumbled upon some horrific animal rights websites that almost made me throw-up. I won't go into detail, but that's when I decided to go vegetarian (lacto-ovo... Only cage free, nest laid eggs and dairy from cows that are respected). Less than a week now, my meat cravings have disappeared. I guess it's a good thing I love spinach!

After showing my mom some nutritional websites, she's still a bit worried, but that doesn't matter. All they want is to make sure I get all my nutrients. And I am. Heck, I cook for myself and sometimes for my family, so if that's what I want, there's nothing they can do about it. ^_^

So, what about y'all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM

everyone has their own reasons.

most people here though, are either veg*n for health reasons or ethical reason (stopping animal abuse)

for me it was an ethical reason

if you cruise around VB long enough, you will see how many different people we have around here

sXe vegans, crackhead vegans, liberals, conservatives, etc etc. There are many different people and they all did it for a different reason

here is a thread on the same subject : https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=22894

welcome to vb
#3 Old 01-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Girl View Post

most people here though, are either veg*n for health reasons or ethical reason (stopping animal abuse)

if you cruise around VB long enough, you will see how many different people we have around here

sXe vegans, crackhead vegans, liberals, conservatives, etc etc. There are many different people and they all did it for a different reason

here is a thread on the same subject : https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=22894

welcome to vb

Thanks for the welcome ^_^

I'll see if I should delete this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM

I became veggie as a form of rebellion. Then I did some research and decided to change for the health and environmental benefits. Oh, I did it for the animals, too, of course!
#5 Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 PM

I became veggie as a form of rebellion. Then I did some research and decided to change for the health and environmental benefits. Oh, I did it for the animals, too, of course!
#6 Old 01-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

welcome to vb

Where did you get that from?
#7 Old 01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess i've always wanted to do it. But i've never had enough balls to do it. And finally one day I just decided not to eat meat from that point on. And I never have, and never will.

Personally I love animals, and don't want to hurt them. And while I was eating meat, I always had that though that this had to be killed, with it not doing anything wrong, for me to only eat it. Now I can't stand the sight of meat.....
#8 Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I just thought I'd see if I could be veg just to challenge myself and then I stuck with it when I realised the ethical reasons for it.

#9 Old 01-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Basically I watched "Meet your meat", I went veg and never looked back.
#10 Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM

*shrugs* Health reasons. Simple as that.
#11 Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM

My mum owns (10 years this year!) a vegetarain cafe, and she herself isnt veg, and neither is any of my siblings (three of them)-however, having this cafe in my life, I was aware of vegetarianism...at the age of ten, I announced I wasn't eating meat again. There was no contreversy or anything (my mum saw it comming...I rarely ate the meat that was ever served to me when I was younger, and I was a HUGE animal lover my entire life).

For me there's no other way...my health benefits, the poor little animals benefit (seriously, I just can't wrap my head around how a person can eat meat, personally) and I have a mother who knows what my nutritional needs are and how to meet them. I'm really lucky in that aspect.

So yeah...

*hugz*

~Gabs
#12 Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 AM

well, i love animals

one day i got home from school and told my mother that from now on, i will never eat meat again.

my dad laughed and my friends bug me about it

but i feel great about being a vegetarian
#13 Old 11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

well my mom is a vegan and i watched meet your meat and then i never ate meat and im working on being vegan soon
#14 Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 AM

I became a vegetarian because I wanted to be healthier. Before I became veggie, I lived off burgers, hot dogs and ready meals so I was really unhealthy, but then I went veggie and now I feel so much healthier!
#15 Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Beginner

actually, we were discussing turkey's taste back in grade 10 and one girl said she's a vegetarian and backed out of the conversation.

went home that day wondering about that, and thought that maybe, just maybe we didn't need to live on meat.

so i started to reduce the amount of meat i ate, and now it's been a year and i've cut out all animal products in my diet...altho i still need the feather stuffing in the comforter...it's COLD in canada!!! = =;;;
#16 Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I felt like it, for no particular reason. I've tried a few different reasons, but I don't really like any of them.
#17 Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i went vegetarian five years ago...dont think i really had a reason, i do care about animals, and my health, the environment and all those things...but it wasnt why i did it.

it was just sort of a spur of the moment thing that i stuck with.
#18 Old 11-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I had decided to be veggie so many times... and never had the guts to tell my parents and usually gave up the first time meat was placed in front of me. Finally I was looking for a recipe for chicken (icky...) and came upon a PETA website. I went pescetarian for a month, then that was it.
#19 Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM

i became a vegetarian because i felt bad for the animals that were killed in the process,i started thinking more about how the animals i ate felt about being killed without warning .so ever since i became a vegetarian i vowed never to eat a living animals again and i want to be a vegan in my 50's to stay healthier and because i love tofu!
#20 Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Back in the days of evil (ie, when I still ate meat) I was eating a cracker and salami sandwich. One kid saw me tearing into the meat and got an ill look on his face and said "I'm vegetarian". That made me change my mind. But, I told him his Jello pudding has geletain (meat!) in it. He was a little surprised, but he still eats it . People can't always be as perfect as veggies
#21 Old 12-19-2005, 04:53 PM

I can't stand the thought of all the horrible things that happen to animals. I've always been an animal-lover, and an on-again, off-again vegetarian, so now I've just reached the point where I'm a pescatarian. The only way I can justify it is that fish don't have sophisticated nervous systems, so they honestly can't feel things quickly enough to have the pain of decapitation. It's simply the only way for me to be a vegetarian since I'm unhealthy and typically plagued with vitamin deficiency...

Basically I do it for the animals, for the conscience, and hopefully I'll be able to go vegan someday when my parents aren't in control of my food supply. *fingers crossed* I really respect everyone who can do the vegan lifestyle, because I'm physically just too weak for it with what my parents provide.
#22 Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Well i became a vegetarian in August, because of watching a PETA video.
#23 Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I have lots of stories leading up to where I am today.

Well, 5 years ago I went to our neighborhood party and they were roasting a pig with an apple in it's mouth. I thought that was awful and I couldn't eat meat. Then one day at my grandma's house, my cousins and I were asked if we wanted cheese or no cheese on our hamburgers. My favorite animal was a cow and I thought, hey, why should I eat my favorite animal or any animals?? I became vegetarian then. At that point I was only 10 years old and didn't do any research. I didn't understand that I should be replacing the meat with something, I never ate a bean and I probably ate chicken broth/jello. But I had good intentions and never let an obvious animal carcass go into my mouth for about a year. One day I was sick and my mom gave me CHICKEN noodle soup, though she knew I stopped eating meat the previous summer (I'll have to ask her why she did that if she remembers...) and for some reason I ate it...and it all snowballed from there and I became omni again.

I think I became veggie again because I didn't think I should be eating animals anymore and meat grossed me out (this was last May). I tried it for a day and the day after that I ate meat for the last time in my life (well except that time I accidently ate dip with bacon in it...eww).

I became vegan when I discovered all the "hidden" ingredients in food, personal care products, cosmetics, etc. and when I found my cheese had RENNET in it. I was just totally disgusted and I wanted to become vegan. So I started eating less and less animal products, grudgingly eating the ones I did eat (stuff with milk for calcium because I didn't want to have tell my mom I wanted to be vegan and I'd need soymilk; bread with honey). Then one night I was at the store and I grabbed some soymilk and said I'm vegan starting tomorrow!

And I've been vegan since then.

I don't need/want to depend on animals for my well-being and I want to live as naturally as possible. Animals are treated horribly and I don't agree with it. The idea of eating something from the stomach of an animal, wearing their skin/fur just creeps me out.
#24 Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 AM

well I am a vegetarian for 2 reasons, 1 I felt no need 2 eat meat and when I was in history (australian history) my teacjer told the most horrible story about how aboriginals kill animals and I was disgusted, and when I told my parents all I said was "hey guess what I'm a vegetarian"at 1st they were concerned but r now fine, but it was a
#25 Old 01-05-2006, 04:07 AM

i believe that we can easily live without the use of animal products...so why put animals through all that we put them through just so we can use them?
#26 Old 01-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

welcome to vb

There arent THAT many reasons...Wow, I never knew so many people watched the meet your meat video before they went veg! I went veg as a combo between sticking up for the poor animals, rebelling, and not having to eat my mother's meatloaf...But mostly the first one.
#27 Old 01-08-2006, 09:58 PM

I did it only for the animals. I thought, what if people in the US ate dogs? I would think it's absolutely disgusting to eat a dog, so how can I justify eating a chicken? It's just so inhumane.

My parents actually don't care. My dad buys soy milk anyway because he thinks it tastes better, and it's healthier...and my mom thinks it's a great idea to go with a healthier diet. To her, it's about health, not about the animals, though she does agree it's sad how they are treated. Anyway...I didn't really say I was going to become a vegetarian, on their way to the grocery store I just said "and get some Boca stuff while you're there" lol. My mom used to eat Boca/Morningstar Farms products, so she didn't think anything of it.
#28 Old 01-09-2006, 05:17 PM

My family has always been not-very-strict-vegetarian, at least at home, but sometimes my mom makes/buys chicken and fish, and when we're out to eat sometimes we'd order meat. But my mom never buys red meat.

Anyway, this is the way I grew up, and for a long time I really wanted to eat meat b/c my family never had it. For awhile in elementary school/early middle school I thought going veg would be cool, just to impress my carnivorous friends or something.

And then in 7th grade my teacher was teaching us how to write a persuasive paper, and used and anonymous paper written by a former student as an example, and the topic was the benefits of vegetarianism. I was really impressed that someone my age was veg. Reading the paper clinched it, and I became vegetarian. Previously I hadn't eaten much meat, but now it was my own choice to abstain, not my parents'.

At first it was mainly health reasons, but recently (as a 9th grader) I feel it is for environmental reasons. And to me, ethical reasons seem obvious. I haven't found it hard to avoid meat, and think it is gross. I don't eaven remember what it tastes like.

As for my family, b/c we were already veg, they didn't mind. But I am much more strict than my parents, and want to go vegan, so it's a little hard. I refuse to eat seafood or fish and white meat, which they eat.
#29 Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
wow
Banned

i guess i always thought eating other mammals was kind of like cannibalism,... only ur eating really ugly people.... if that makes any sense.
#30 Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 PM

When I was three years old, I was walking through the food court at the mall with my mom and brothers. We were leaving, and I just so happen to overhear two ladies say something about a "vegetarian". I had no clue of what this meant, and was curious. So when I got home I asked my mom what a vegetarian was. She told me it was someone who does not eat meat. Even more curious I asked her where meat came from. She was honest and told me it came from animals. I was quite shocked, and told her from now on I was going to be a vegetarian. Almost 18 years later, here I am. Very happy with my choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page