relationships - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 AM

has this topic been beaten viciously?

what does everyone think of having a non-vegan (or non-veg*an) boyfriend/girlfriend? i've recently turned veg*an, but having someone with a similar mindset in that respect is really appealing.

i guess this is comparable to having friends of different religious denominations and the like: i'm pro-life; some friends are pro-choice. i'm straight-edge; others are out drinking, smoking, and having meaningless make-out sessions just because they're bored (they say it's "fun"...what the heck?!?!).

explanations are welcome. please, enlighten me.

-Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Banned

well, my boyfriend is omni, and sometimes it is kind of hard. I'd been vegetarian for long before I met him, so when we got together he had to adjust to that, its not something i got into while I was dating him. It was fairly easy because we could still go out to restaurants, I got him started on sushi and we'd go out for it, I'd get a veggie roll...etc. I don't think he had a problem with it, occasionally he'd tell me I'm a hippie, but its all in fun joking and i dont mind. I recently went vegan, though, and i think he does have a problem with that. first of all because it will be harder for us to go places to eat together, and second of all (i just found this out, before i didnt think he had a reason) because he told me he thinks it's just an excuse for me to eat less....well, i dont know, but it's something I want to do, I'm still in the process of the switch...but hopefully he'll accept me, he loves me and i hope will accept my choices.
#3 Old 07-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm desperate and sad and lonely, i'm not pickey. or maybe i AM too pickey and that's why i'm desperate and sad and lonely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

If someone is an ass about veg*nism, then I can assume they're somewhat of an ass overall, and i wouldn't want them for an s.o. Most guys I know are pretty understanding, and nobody i've taken an interest with has been an "obnoxious omni." nobody can tell you what to base your lover upon. If you're comfortable with an omni, no prob. If you'd rather have a vegetarian, then that's just the kind of person you are. don't sweat it

and pordiva, don't worry! from what i've read, it sounds like you have a sturdy relationship, and i'm glad it's been workin out for you!
#5 Old 07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm after anyone who isn't superficial. In a town such as Blackpool, findin ga person with these qualities is no easy task.

I'm happy to be with anyone who can respect my choices.if i can get a veg*n lover though, that would be just perfect!
#6 Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as they respect it, why not? However, at least I'd have some "rules"... Like no kissing within two hours of them eating meat.
#7 Old 07-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

As long as they respect it, why not? However, at least I'd have some "rules"... Like no kissing within two hours of them eating meat.

great rule.

I could see my self dating an omni becuse I was once a slave to there socity and as long as there not a ***** about it im not trying to refrence woman as *****s. but I would like a vegetrain.
#8 Old 07-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't. I wouldn't want them to kiss me, and I wouldn't want to date someone that does not have the same beleifs as me.
#9 Old 07-14-2004, 12:54 PM

Haha yes I agree with click man, it's all fine as long as they respect my beliefs and diet, but they must not have meaty breath or teeth/mouth!
#10 Old 07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I'm after anyone who isn't superficial. In a town such as Blackpool, findin ga person with these qualities is no easy task.

saaaaame with my town, Loki. The hunt is on for a non-superficial mate over here too
#11 Old 07-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I could introduce an omni love rto falafel, and slowly convert them.

me, someone else and a lot of falafel - I must say that this would be one polyamorous relationship for everyone!
#12 Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I could introduce an omni love rto falafel, and slowly convert them.

me, someone else and a lot of falafel - I must say that this would be one polyamorous relationship for everyone!

I honestly wouldn't count on converting anyone. For the time being, I guess i could live with dating omnivores, and probably have to. in the long run though, i don't know that i'd be able to make a serious commitment to someone who doesn't share such a fundamental aspect of my personal convictions.
#13 Old 07-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

When I'm a teen, I see no point in excluding omnivores I guess, but when I am an adult I plan on raising vegan children, and that would be so much easier with a vegan husband..
#14 Old 07-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

see, it doesn't have to do with kids for me though. i mean, i think it has more to do with the relationship. i mean, if i'm going to spend the remainder of my life with one person, how would i be able to do that with someone who has an eating habit in direct ethical conflict with mine? it's one thing putting up with family, that's something you can't choose, and it's another putting up with little quirks of a person just because no one is perfect, but it's another to be expected to deal with such an important ethical conflict.
#15 Old 07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

exactly. lets go elope.
#16 Old 07-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Hehehehe
#17 Old 07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

He knows he wants to
#18 Old 07-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

see, it doesn't have to do with kids for me though. i mean, i think it has more to do with the relationship. i mean, if i'm going to spend the remainder of my life with one person, how would i be able to do that with someone who has an eating habit in direct ethical conflict with mine? it's one thing putting up with family, that's something you can't choose, and it's another putting up with little quirks of a person just because no one is perfect, but it's another to be expected to deal with such an important ethical conflict.

see, that's a good point. even just discussing this topic with my omni friends can get irritating sometimes and lead to arguments, and in a relationship it's gotta be a hundred times worse. although hopefully your partner would be respectful enough to try to understand your decision even if they don't agree with it. oh well, it's not such a problem for me as romantic relationships don't like me. *tear
#19 Old 07-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post

see, that's a good point. even just discussing this topic with my omni friends can get irritating sometimes and lead to arguments, and in a relationship it's gotta be a hundred times worse. although hopefully your partner would be respectful enough to try to understand your decision even if they don't agree with it. oh well, it's not such a problem for me as romantic relationships don't like me. *tear

see, even if it's a "respect your opinion" kind of thing, i don't know that i'd be okay with it. imagine if you and your husband differed on a topic like murder or rape. you wouldn't want someone who "respects your decision not to murder" or "only rapes when you're not around". you don't want him doing those EVER. now i mean, i don't mean to offend anyone, because obviously we all have friends and family who eat meat and love them just the same. however, i don't think that in a marriage, or even just a very serious relationship, i'd ever be able to make a deep connection with someone who still eats meat, no matter how much they "respect" my decision.
#20 Old 07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, relationship-wise a veg*n would be cool but an omni who respects my veganism would not be too bad, although the thought of kissing someone who has just eaten meat is a huge turn off...actually now I'm just completely confused...
#21 Old 07-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm currently dating an omni and its okay. He respects my beliefs but obviously, he can't really understand what its like for me to deal with the criticism i face. Whenever I eat with his family the meals will be vegetarian (his dad's a chef and makes great lentil loaf ) but when he eats with my family he'll eat meat. It bothers me sometimes but it's not unbearable. I'd also like to raise my children as vegetarian (at the least) so i agree with formerbaboon about marrying a veg*n.
#22 Old 07-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i must say, i think it sucks that every vegetarian girl i've ever met or known seems to be dating an omni guy...
#23 Old 07-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i must say, i think it sucks that every vegetarian girl i've ever met or known seems to be dating an omni guy...

Free vegetarian (Soon to be back to veganism once I leave treatment!) over here!
#24 Old 07-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Free vegetarian (Soon to be back to veganism once I leave treatment!) over here!

see, exactly, what's the deal man? all the veggie girls are dating the "omni guys who respect them" when vegan guys like us get left in the dust.
#25 Old 07-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that's because its so hard to find a vegan guy. so, basically we can only really date "the omni guys who respect them" as you put it.
#26 Old 07-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

actually, i take it back, i'm not totally in the dust, i have been seeing jill for a fairly long time.
#27 Old 07-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Quote:

see, exactly, what's the deal man? all the veggie girls are dating the "omni guys who respect them" when vegan guys like us get left in the dust.

Believe me guys, the Veg*n girls would much rather a veg*n guy like yous, than the omni who respects their beliefs, thing is, it's hard to find the veg*n guys...especially close to home etc!
#28 Old 07-14-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:

actually, i take it back, i'm not totally in the dust, i have been seeing jill for a fairly long time.

Hhahahaa good one

#29 Old 07-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

i really like my boyfriend but i think i would prefer it if he were a veg*n. my parents and brother (especially my brother) can give me a really hard time about my veg*nism and its really hard to deal with. he's never insulted me or questioned me about it, but he's never openly supported me either.

p.s. jill seems like a lovely girl.
#30 Old 07-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I didn't get that really..

Note to everybody, I'm single!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page