Ack! Lobster! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Okiie.....here's the problem: My Mum's going to make loster in about two weeks. She says it's a tradition to do it every ten years or so. Normally, I keep my trap shut when she cooks other meats that she's bought from the grocer's, but lobster is a bit too much. Too cook them, people boil them ALIVE!!! That's dispicable, evil, and vile! I reeeeeally don't want to upset my Mum but the animal rights activist is raging inside of me. What should I do.........?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Go on a hunger strike and chain yourself to a lamp post downtown, and then call the local press!
#3 Old 07-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Go on a hunger strike and chain yourself to a lamp post downtown, and then call the local press!

Sounds like a plan! *dashes off in search of some chains* HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH--NoseriouslywhatshouldIdo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

once every ten years? what's even the point? whatever. Either way, there's probably not a lot you can do to talk her out of it. just deal with it i guess....
#5 Old 07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i've always hated when people go to restaurants and pick out a live lobster from the tank to eat it. when i was a kid i loved looking at the lobster tanks, until people told me they eat those lobsters. i mean, when you do that you just can't deny that you're killing for your own selfish purposes.
#6 Old 07-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

i think you should just sit back and stomach it. people are crazy about their traditions. c'mon now
#7 Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Beginner

have you ever seen the sad lobsters in those class tanks the only wish they have is to get out of there or die. And then have you ever herd them scream being put in to bowling hot water screaming for help.
#8 Old 07-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Beginner

i hate to say it, but if your mom really won't budge, try to convince her to at least take a more humane approach: i've heard of some people that will bash the lobster's head with a hammer or mallet before boiling it, killing it pretty quickly. if she will do that, make sure it's done in one blow: lobsters are tough, and otherwise it won't die right away. so yeah...

sorry you have this problem, hopefully this helps
#9 Old 07-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_sleep_on_bed View Post

have you ever seen the sad lobsters in those class tanks the only wish they have is to get out of there or die. And then have you ever herd them scream being put in to bowling hot water screaming for help.

They don't actually scream, they don't have vocal chords. I think it has to do with air escaping from cracks in their shells when they are boiled.
#10 Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post

i hate to say it, but if your mom really won't budge, try to convince her to at least take a more humane approach: i've heard of some people that will bash the lobster's head with a hammer or mallet before boiling it, killing it pretty quickly. if she will do that, make sure it's done in one blow: lobsters are tough, and otherwise it won't die right away. so yeah...

sorry you have this problem, hopefully this helps

Oh, and I'm sorry, NOBODY hits a lobster in the head first, that would crush its face and ruin the presentation. Can you imagine someone ordering a lobster in a restaurant and getting a mashed up face? They'd demand their money back and never come again. Sorry, but the lobster is getting boiled alive, and there's not a lot you can do...
#11 Old 07-12-2004, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

Oh, and I'm sorry, NOBODY hits a lobster in the head first, that would crush its face and ruin the presentation. Can you imagine someone ordering a lobster in a restaurant and getting a mashed up face? They'd demand their money back and never come again. Sorry, but the lobster is getting boiled alive, and there's not a lot you can do...

Well, thanks....your optimism is most appreciated.....
#12 Old 07-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannequinne View Post

Well, thanks....your optimism is most appreciated.....

Ha, sorry, it's not pessimistic, it's realistic. there's no real humane way to kill them without ruining the shell, which i don't think your mom is going to be willing to do.
#13 Old 07-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

If this is something that happens every ten years, i don't see the point in taking that away. Certainly, it sucks, but i don't think there's much you can do without coming off as selfish and/or offending your mom by calling her tradition "evil and dispicable."
#14 Old 07-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah really, that's what i said, once every TEN years? you can deal with it
#15 Old 07-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

They don't actually scream, they don't have vocal chords. I think it has to do with air escaping from cracks in their shells when they are boiled.

I never knew that actuly I've just herd from people that they scream. I trust people to easly. Still im guessing there scared.
#16 Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I would just deal with it rather than make a big scene - if it's tradition, it's not likely she'll change her mind. But you know your mom better than I do, so if you think she'll understand, try to reason with her

Offtopic - once I was at a restaurant and there was a lobster on a tray behind me, ready to be served...and it was still moving *shudder* It was cooked, but definitely still alive...how could someone eat that?!
#17 Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post

I would just deal with it rather than make a big scene - if it's tradition, it's not likely she'll change her mind. But you know your mom better than I do, so if you think she'll understand, try to reason with her

Offtopic - once I was at a restaurant and there was a lobster on a tray behind me, ready to be served...and it was still moving *shudder* It was cooked, but definitely still alive...how could someone eat that?!

Theres no way it was cooked and still alive, it could be nerve ending still acting up, lots of dead things twitch, even people, but it was definately dead.
#18 Old 07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Banned

has anyone ever read Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor? theres this part where the guy in it goes through the details of eating a lobster, as he's eating it, describing the parts he's eating, etc. (like the brain!! and guts!!), and then all of a sudden it says "It was when I had eaten almost half of the lobster when I noticed the heartbeat..."

EWWWWW.

sorry for those of you with weak stomachs. *gags*
#19 Old 07-12-2004, 01:32 PM

Thanks all......sorry if it seemed like I was being a bit too overreactive. I originally posted right after my Mum told me, and I was in a bit of shock........ I'm just going to stay over at a friend's when she does it, any way.
#20 Old 07-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

hummmmm
#21 Old 07-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait! I have a better idea.

Hide in the corner of the kitchen while she prepares to put it in. Right as she drops it, run out from your little corner and grab Senor Lobster, and yell "SUUUUUUPER(WO)MAN TO THE RESCUE!", and dash out the door.
#22 Old 07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Beginner

and only if she could fly
#23 Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Crawdads are like miniature lobsters, and they are popular where we live. Same thing tho'. Boilled alive by most folks. Yuck!
#24 Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

That sucks The only thing you can really do is try and convince your mother to kill the poor lobster humanely (if there is such a thing) before she cooks it up. Of course, you could always go with Clickman's idea if you can get away with it...
#25 Old 07-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Wait! I have a better idea.

Hide in the corner of the kitchen while she prepares to put it in. Right as she drops it, run out from your little corner and grab Senor Lobster, and yell "SUUUUUUPER(WO)MAN TO THE RESCUE!", and dash out the door.

#26 Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You said the lobster is alive before she cooks it right? Well, you could take the lobster when she's not lookin and keep it in some salty water and you'll have saved it's life. I don't know what you could do with it then. If you live near a saltwater source, set the lobster free there. If not, I really don't know. I'll tell you if I find another way. You could put up a protest or even that hunger strike idea. Good Luck.

Quote:
We have not had dealings with the dwarves since the dark days.

- Haldir FotR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page