Host family problems... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

So I'm an exchange student in Taiwan and I've become vegan in Taiwan.. ya and I just got in a fight with my host Mom about it. I came home from school and there were two bowls of already cooked veggies on the table that my Grandma had cooked for my Mom and I. They looked identical, except for one had more soup stuff, so I figured one had meat broth (for my Mom) and one didn't. So I suggested I call my Grandma and ask which one was for me and which for my Mom. My Mom was like, "I prepared those! And they both don't have meat! You're so troublesome!" But I persisted there was the possibility and so we called up Grandma and as it turns out my Mom was right.. the two bowls of vegetables were identical, both without meat. So of course I looked even more bad.. like I hadn't believed in my host Mom, and so she was upset.

She persisted it's not fair that I became vegan in Taiwan and so they didn't really know what they were getting into by hosting me. She thinks it's annoying preparing vegetarian stuff just for me.. she insists on making like 3 plates of veggies so that I'm getting enough, even though I tell her one plate of veggies is just fine. I try to help in anyway. I said I would prepare veggies on my own and I didn't really get an answer if that was ok or not. She scared that if she doesn't go out of her way to make me veggies than it will look like they're a bad host family, but yet she persists in saying how annoying it is that I don't just "eat what the family eats." She knows I won't go back to omni and I know I won't go back either... so any tips? Sorry this is so long, but I needed to vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, she may have a point in that she didn't know you were a vegetarian when she began the hosting group, but it sounds more like she feels she is under pressure from a lot of things and is directing it all out onto you. I don't think you can do much more- you've offered to cook and eat less, what more does she want? How much longer do you have to stay with your host family?
#3 Old 06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

aww, I'm sorry to hear that

but I agree with brownie, she's probably just under a lot of pressure. Maybe you could offer to prepare your own meals? there's no reason why something like this has to ruin your exchange experience...peace and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have only about a month left until I go back to America.. actually 38 days. I'm trying my best, but I still feel really bad about the whole incident. I now know I should trust my host family more, because they know I'm vegan and therefore won't give me animal products. The other problem is the resteraunt problem... just my host Mom says it's difficult for us to go out and eat as a family without worrying about me being vegan. I know this is true, so I suggested we could call the resteraunt before hand and ask if there would be any way to accomodate a vegan and so forth.. we've gone out before and haven't had problems, but do you guys have any suggestions about this? I also offered to help cook dinner and my Mom wants me to cook dinner for the family one night. Any recipe ideas? Ya.. my host family is under a lot of stress too. They're moving from Taiwan to Canada in August, which is a big thing, so maybe my Mom is taking some of the stress out on me. Ahh.. stressful times, but I'm doing my best to stay a healthy, happy vegan.
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Well it is an honest mistake, they can fault you for it, just say your sorry and move on
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 PM

khadijah, this post is over 2 years old.
#7 Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Beginner

haha... i was getting really into oops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page