Holy Moly Franz Ferdinand - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2004, 09:39 AM

I just listened to Franz Ferdinad's first song "Take Me Out" (Go to Vh1 and search under them and you can see it) They are freakin amazing after I closed all the windows I started dancing! Damn these are so good you guys gotta check out their video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Franz Ferdinand.... as in the Austro-Hungarian leader whose assasination by Serbian terrorists led to the first world war?
#3 Old 05-25-2004, 01:37 PM

Yep... but the band are from scotland....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

FRANZ FERDINAND!!!

they are definitely the coolest. take me out was such a cool song, and their new single, "matinee" is good as well. It's a crazy name for a band, but whatt hey don't have in name, they make up for in music.
#5 Old 05-25-2004, 04:52 PM

They weren't serbian terroist they were fighting for freedom from the ultra-oppressive Austrians (Hapsburgs)
#6 Old 05-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RveganR View Post

They weren't serbian terroist they were fighting for freedom from the ultra-oppressive Austrians (Hapsburgs)

They were upset that Ferdinand was there, and he was expected to announce greater autonomy, and the Serbs didn't want that, because they wanted to control the whole region.
#7 Old 05-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Beginner

hmmm, terrorists or freedom fighters? isn't it interesting how often people get those two mixed up? Had the American Revolutionists not been successful in overthrowing the government, they would've been called terrorists too. It's all a matter of "winning or losing"
#8 Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Meo
Veggie Regular

...I knew I couldn't be the only one.
#9 Old 05-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

how odd... I was just listening to them!! My favorite one from the cd is probably Jacqueline or Take Me Out.. I had part of the cd on my mp3 player last week and I let the only other person who knew they existed in my school listen to it... He started dancing, and in short, it was really really funny!! They've started to get alot of attention because they're the emerging artist of the month on launch.com and mtv has been showing their videos a lot.
#10 Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM

I love that Take me out song.

It's the only one I've heard though. I look forward to hearing more by them!
#11 Old 05-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought the Black Hand (including Pricip) was a Serbian group that was opposed to the Austro-Hungarian government. I guess they could be terrorists or freedom fighters depending on how you view the whole situation
#12 Old 05-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

They were fighting the opression of the Austro-Hungarian government, who wanted to take over Serbia. And the Black Hand was a Serbian nationalist/extremist group. So basically I'm kind of repeating what raylea said, but we just finished WWI in history and I knew about it so I posted...

BTW I do like that song...
#13 Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first heard "Franz Ferdinand" I thought "is that a footballer?"

Then I found out it was a band. Then I found out it was someone who was briefly mentioned in my GCSE history course.
#14 Old 05-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Like it or leave it the fact is that the region of the world had been oppressed by first the Romans/Byzantiums/Small Period of Freedom/Crushed by Ottomans/Smashed by Austrians and were continually oppressed and the serbians were always a fairly nationalistic group so it was only natural for them to rebel. But more interesting is that Franz was perhaps the best possible thing they had going for them. He was farily progressive and probaly would have begun the slow move to a more indepent serbia.
#15 Old 05-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Really, though, I saw Franz Ferdinand (as in the band) on MTV the other day and I liked them a lot!
#16 Old 05-27-2004, 11:24 AM

you could be both a terrorist and a freedom fighter think about it?
#17 Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

I'm totally gonna get yelled at for posting here, but I freaking dig that Franz Ferdinand sound and I couldn't resist saying it!
#18 Old 05-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

mx, you're not a teen!!!!

but it's Ok. franz ferdinand rock!
#19 Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

only heard a little bit of a song on launch, but it was pretty cool
#20 Old 05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Like it or leave it the fact is that the region of the world had been oppressed by first the Romans/Byzantiums/Small Period of Freedom/Crushed by Ottomans/Smashed by Austrians and were continually oppressed and the serbians were always a fairly nationalistic group so it was only natural for them to rebel. But more interesting is that Franz was perhaps the best possible thing they had going for them. He was farily progressive and probaly would have begun the slow move to a more indepent serbia.

The Black Hand also wanted to control the whole region, even the non-Serb areas. They weren't as brave as you portray them to be.
#21 Old 05-28-2004, 12:01 AM

Hah how random is this..

Just before in my history class (we're studying the Russian Revolution) the teacher mentioned Franz Ferdinand, and then everyone was like "isn't that the name of a band now?" and someone else thought it was a soccer player :P

It's weird how that happened the day after I read this thread.
#22 Old 05-28-2004, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Last time I checked, max power wasn't a teen. I thought that non-teen posts were supposed to be deleted. But of course, he gets away with it because he's a mod.

And it's just starting to hit me that in december, I'll no longer be a teen. (Crap.)
#23 Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 PM

Yeah, that's totally biased.

Man if a newbie posts in here then its all "OMGGGG DELETEEE"

But now because it's a mod it gets left.

Mods can get away with ANYTHING, and newbies get their ass rammed as soon as they join.

Nice one.
#24 Old 05-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Banned

Moderator Note:

I think both of you need to relax a little bit. The post has been reported, and will be handled it as needed.

And yes, I am entitled to make this post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page