Teens - How would you change your school? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM

I've been reading a lot about educational philosophy and have been watching videos of different people's critiques of education. The General complaint seems to be that highschool is too much like a factory and over-standardized. With bells and lockers, permission to use the restrooms, lunch breaks, schedule of subject to subject in age groups. From there its textbooks and tests and powerpoint presentations, it all being very mechanical, like a place to manufacture young job ready citizens.

I agree that high school is not how it should be. Textbook readings are dull and lifeless, tests are just stressful exercises of short-term memory, powerpoint presentations put me to sleep. Homework takes forever and uses up precious time otherwise spent on things more fun. Waking up early is painful. I bring my own food because the cafeteria food is unhealthy processed animal product trash. Classes put limits on the amount of times students are allowed to visit the restroom. Lots of school material seems useless like I'll never use it in real life. And of course their are the teachers that just arent all that helpful and cant explain anything well. There usually arent enough group activities so I tend to feel isolated. Project deadlines are too strict. I do however have 2 nice teachers(out of 8). Lessons are too fast to to stay up to date with.

School just doesnt seem like my thing. I feel like just forcing myself through 2 years of community college and bail from there. Seriously. It just seems too strict, stressfull and a waste of time. I have one friend and a girlfriend and see them about once or twice every other day(not that often). My motivation to learn anything seems to have gone down the toilet. I'd rather spend the rest of my life painting houses or assembling bookshelves than go through more academic torture and become some rich doctor or lawyer. It just doesnt seem worth it.

My learning environment isnt active, engaging or interesting. I feel no incentive to try harder as any benefit just seems to distant to care. The subjects and skills are completely irrelevant to my job/career goals.

Does any other teen feel this way? Like the only reason why you're there is because you have to and there's maybe a friend or two you can talk to? Do you agree that school is the enemy and void of meaning?

Even if you dont completely agree, here is my main question...

If you could radically re-structure the school, if you could change the learning environment, transform how teachers interact with their students, how would you do it? What would you do make lessons fun? How would you keep track of progress besides standardized testing? How long would you make each class? How many subjects would you offer? I'm sure you can think of other details to include. Would you make it compulsory or voluntary? At a building, home, library or anywhere?

What would be your main goal for educating students? To develop creative talents? Promote intellectual intelligence? To prepare workers for the labor market? What do you want out of school?

I am very interested in reading what other teens have to say about this. Our public education system being controlled by the government, teacher, adults, nobody ever really cares to ask what the students want. They just decide everything for us and tell us what to do. I feel this should obviously be changed. Who else feels that way?

I havent decided on any particular educational philosophy, but Im wondering which ones do you think are interesting? What are your experiences with "the system"?

Thank you for reading.
Julianna Bresko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 PM

I completely agree with you that school can seem completely boring at times. There are days where I feel like I'm dragging myself through the school day, and can't wait to get home. This is especially true in classes with teachers who seems disinterested in their subject matter, or just really struggle to find an effective way to explain the material.

However, I have never really hated school because I have been lucky enough to have at least one teacher every year who really just understands teaching, and how to teach effectively to their age group. Take for example, my English teacher last year. Her class was really hard, and a lot of kids would always complain about the workload, but what really stood out from me with that class was that I learned a great deal from it.

She believed a lot in self-directed learning, so instead of her standing at the front of the room day in and day out, she would give us plenty of time to discuss ideas and our understandings with each other. I feel like this also helped cement the things we were supposed to get out of the books we read better in our minds. Instead of just being given information, and being asked to memorize it without really understanding it, we ourselves had to figure it out for ourselves and then explain it which promoted far more understanding and meaning than rote memorization ever could. My best teachers this year also follow this principle.

So basically I think part of the problem is the way the material is taught, and part of the problem is that some of the teachers there just generally aren't interested/can't teach. Just from my experiences I would say that discussion-centered classes seem to work the best for me, and this is coming from someone who is pretty quiet. A lot of teachers just seem to think throwing information at us, and then getting us to regurgitate it is the way to go, but really, that doesn't stick with a person, and it doesn't have meaning.

Unfortunately, a lot of teachers don't seem to get this so school can seem extremely boring. I find that in these classes I try and create the meaning myself. After a long day of having notes and terms thrown at me, I will go home and research the topic myself. In doing this I find out more the specific information that interests me, and can find alternative explanations for things if I really just didn't get it the first time. Perhaps you could try doing something similar? It can be difficult in classes you really dislike, but who knows, perhaps you will turn up some really interesting information.

I also agree that school starts too early. I wake up at quarter to six every weekday to get ready to school, and generally get only about six or seven hours of sleep a night. I'm a morning person, but even I feel that the lack of sleep exhausts me and makes it tough to concentrate by the end of the day. It also seems to take a toll on teacher, especially early in the morning, which I think further adds to the disinterest. I think moving the time it starts even as little as half an hour would make a big difference. I think if I had a say, school would start at 8:30 or 8:00, because I like having my afternoons, but I also like getting my sleep.

Standardized tests have always annoyed me as well. Especially multiple choice based tests, which cause me to second guess myself a lot. I would far prefer writing short essays on topics to demonstrate my knowledge over filling in a circle. I also think essays are just in general better indicators of knowledge, there's no guess-work involved, you either know it or you don't, so if my teachers switched to open-response type tests (in the subjects that's available in, obviously math is still problem-based) I would be a happy camper.

Class sizes would also optimally be small, I have one class this year that has only twelve students in my class, and I definitely prefer it over the 30+ student classes I have had in the past. I think smaller classes force people to participate, and open up, and it also makes it a lot easier for everyone to get their opinion heard. It also means that there's a lot more room for student-teacher interactions, because the teacher isn't running after thirty some odd kids.

There's probably a lot more I could add to this, this is just a sort of framework of things that came to mind first. Awesome topic, really got me thinking.

"All good things are wild and free." -Henry David Thoreau
#3 Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Hmm, For some reason I was expecting more replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Beginner

I don't think I can beat the reply above me, but I agree that school should be radically restructured. This year in particular I've felt rather disillusioned by the school system, and with the exception of like two classes, the day simply drags on and on and on and you get the point.

Honestly, I would just like 1) for school to start later. Studies have shown that teenagers don't learn best early in the morning, yet my school still starts at 7:40am, which I'm sure is a huge contributor to my disinterest. I'm so not a morning person, and I think if school started even just an hour later, it would be much more effective.

2) smaller class sizes. In my English class, desks started disappearing toward the end of the year, and we had probably almost 40 students in that class to the point where sometimes we literally ran out of desks. With smaller class sizes, there would be more opportunity for interactive learning with discussion and the teacher:student ratio would be much smaller, so students could actually receive more individual attention appropriated to their own educational needs. The school system is way too generalized. Also, smaller classes would mean less disruption and consequently less wasted time -> more learning!

3) more enthusiastic teachers. Probably one of the main reasons why my AP English Language & Composition teacher was my favorite was her enthusiasm. You could tell she really loved what she was doing. Like she'd seriously be grinning as she talked about some of the classic novels and essays just because she loved them and the entire subject so much. I just really enjoyed how passionate she seemed. Students can't be expected to be enthusiastic about work if their teachers aren't. No one wants to pay attention to a teacher who acts like they hate kids and their job.

4) better lunches. This really isn't along the educational vein, but you asked how I'd change my school so this is definitely apart of it. The school lunches are terrible. They are nutritionally despicable, and there are very few vegetarian and hardly any vegan options. I think the entire school lunch program needs to be reformed. I understand that the main issue is money, but the lunches are pathetic. I'm obviously speaking as a vegetarian, but they're terribly unhealthy for omnivores as well. Also, I don't know if you live in the U.S., but if you do, then you'll probably know that the government declared pizza to be a vegetable. Pizza is definitely NOT a vegetable, and if anything, the school pizza is more like cardboard. Everyone loves to talk about childhood obesity and how big of an issue it is, yet how are we going to combat that when we have a school food program like this?

5) more hands-on and interactive education. More discussion, more experiments, more guest speakers, more field trips, more debates. I don't know, just anything to make it more interesting. It's much more fun to discuss the information then to just get lectured to. English class should be discussion-oriented. Science class is more fun when you're actually using chemicals, microscopes, doing work in the lab. Math class? Maybe students can make up songs or mnemonics to remember complex mathematical formulas. Government class might be more interesting if a speaker from the House or Congress, or any governmental member could come and speak, or students could debate political issues. History class could be fun if students put on plays to reenact major historical moments. The point of school should be not only to help kids learn, but to help them WANT to learn. And to do that, learning needs to be made more fun. As for me, I love learning, but the process at school right now is a drag and could be much more exciting.

6) less B.S. Get rid of silly standardized tests that barely measure anything. Get rid of ridiculous requirements that are basically unnecessary. For instance, why should I have to take P.E. and lower my GPA when I play a varsity sport that practices five days a week? Get rid of stupid reading programs for students that don't need them. Why am I being forced to do a rhetorical triangle and identify author, purpose, and audience when I'm in AP classes and I've excelled on all of my reading exams? More time needs to be dedicated to things that really matter, and education needs to be suited for individual needs. I don't need P.E. or lower level reading, but some students do. There needs to be an appropriate level of challenge for each and every student.

The end! Although I'm sure there's more I could think of if I tried. And I agree with Lilyit. Awesome question, deserves more responses. I definitely wrote more than I was planning to. This was a great break from my homework
#5 Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

:O i SOOOO agree with you. My school, I think has to be one of the more better schools though. We at least have some fun classes and overall the teachers seem to like their job.

The thing I don't like about the schools is what Kiki mentioned. There are like no vegan options at my school. I saw their veggie burger once and it looked like watery spinach smooshed into the shape of a patty...it was scary. And NO pizza is not a vegetable. I heard that too!

Something else I would change would be having more classes that deal with real current issues of the world. Currently we have social issues and sociology classes, but when I brought it up, my teacher didn't really want to talk about animal rights and instead had already planned out all the social issues that involved humans that we would talk about V___V. There needs to be more education about "compassion for animals and mother earth."

In my english class, I wish we would free write more. Often I just hear the teacher lecture on about allusions in famous literary works, and while he is passionate about it, my heart doesn't really connect with it. I really want to learn how to write arguments better and express myself more creatively through writing, and I think free writing in class and having the teacher review the work would be really helpful.

I also say get rid of the jerks in my school. Stop giving the bullies a slap on the wrist. I had some teachers that did very little in regards to people who bullied me. I don't care if the students are nice to you, if they bully me because of my beliefs they need a good whip back to reality. Just get rid of them so I can learn better, not have to deal with them, and not have to worry about being bullied at school every minute.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#6 Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I am lucky! i am home schooled.

#7 Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Beginner

I don't want to sit at a desk 7 hours a day.
#8 Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

The thing I don't like about the schools is what Kiki mentioned. There are like no vegan options at my school. I saw their veggie burger once and it looked like watery spinach smooshed into the shape of a patty...it was scary. And NO pizza is not a vegetable. I heard that too!

You could always try this: http://www.peta.org/tv/videos/peta2-...537305001.aspx. There's just the potential of being completely disregarded and undermined by school administrators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

I don't want to sit at a desk 7 hours a day.

If I could summarize my ridiculously long reply, this is what it would say.
#9 Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Start school at 9:30.
More veggie friendly school lunches.
Having not too big/too small classes.
Having a real exam week at our school.
More interactive learning.
Better electives (We get little choice in small schools)
Equal funds for all schools, not the bigger the school, the more money gets put in to it.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#10 Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM

I don't even see the point in having to force kids to go to these schools, just give us some textbooks and make us come in for tests once a week or two and we would do just fine, I don't think we need these teachers at all and if one of us happen to, then you can just get a tutor, they are a huge waste of tax money.

Teachers just regurgitate the same crap the previous teacher already said, we have technology now, use it; hire the best of the best to make a lecture on various subjects, record it and host it on a domain for public use, free of charge.

“It's no good to put aside your own happiness to bear the sorrow of others.”

- Xam'd of the Lost Memories

#11 Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Number one of my list... school starts WAY too early. My high school starts at 7:15am. It's ridiculous. It's been proven that adolescents don't think best in the early morning. Now personally I am a morning person, but getting up at 5:30am is just too early. My MOM doesn't even start work until 8:30am!

I've never been a fan of the homework thing, either. Not just because I'm the average lazy teenager, but because I find it useless. After forcing myself to wake up at 5:30am and sitting in a chair for 7 hours, I really can't and won't put any effort into MORE school work at 6pm. I definitely think school occupies too much of our day. Personally, I would rather have year-round schooling but NEVER receive any homework or tests. I think school she be there to teach us, and that is IT. No testing, no placement, no homework. 

#12 Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Beginner

I'm homeschooled, so I wouldn't change a thing!

#13 Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Beginner

I would like a school where my gym teacher does not hate me and basically calls me fat.(When I'm under weight) sad.gif
#14 Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM

I'd like a school that focused more on applicable and pliable sciences for real life. We should be taught business math. We need to learn how to do our taxes, etc. I just got my first job, but don't live with my biological parents only my older brother and I'm extremely lost on my first job. How do I do taxes? How do I do all this paperwork?

Not only that, but I was always a weird kid. When I was in middle school my reading level was at a 12thgrade level while being in 6thgrade. In high school I was reading at a college level. I really get sick and tired of students being blamed for the problems. You know I'm smart and educated and I know certain things. No one ever wants to blame the teachers, no one ever says the teachers are bad.

I need a challenge in school. I need something beyond my level. And I get in trouble every time I go outside the box. Like one of our assignments was to write about What WE think about heroes? Who is a hero in our life? I wrote an article about how I do not think self altruism is real and I don't think there is a such thing as a hero unless we're talking about comic book heroes. My teacher got really sensitive and mad. Because her husband works as a paramedic, and she sees him as a hero. Well I don't, that's his job. He gets paid to do that. A true hero does something out of true selflessness.

Sure you want to help people as a doctor or a paramedic, but you still get paid to help.

No one at school wants to help me. I need more challenging assignments. I need more ways of engaging me. I really miss field trips. That seems like such a child thing. But I love to go to museums. They have so many stories. And it's amazing just to see the world in front of me come alive.

We need as students to be applied to something. Not just forced to sit in a classroom all day.

And school does start way to early. Considering when I use to work, I started my shift at 11am. Not saying school should start that late, but there is research to say that there is increase brain activity during the time 10am to 11am. Which probably would be a good time to start school. Cause I know I sleep in at least till 9am or 8am when I don't have school.

#15 Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Lots of things.
My school is school. We get graded on the dumbest things. Like why are we grading someone on there ability to debate FOR something they're against?
I hve no choice about my CTE(career technical education) class(it's basically you pick a pathway before ninthgrade if you dont like it change it before tenth and then you're stuck.) So next yr I hve to take a class about livestock.(The teacher is gonna be so out of luck the SECOND they repeat this yr.)
So, I'd like to be able to experiment more. I don't want to be a vetenarian all tht much anymore. It's HIGH SCHOOL why can't we experiment more with what we want to do?
You expect 14-15 yr olds to KNOW what they want to do long-term? It's take most people forer to figure out why they want to wear.
So....that.
Then school lunches. I usually bring my lunch but if I didn't I'd be estig French fries and sprite.

I have a writing assessment next well.sad.gif too much standardized testing. FYI, we learn nothing from that.
"Tech to the test"
How about we stop trying to churn out perfect little drones?
We need more creativity and compassion in this world!
#16 Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Beginner

There are many days where I spend the entire school day counting down until the final bell rings. At times, it just becomes so tedious and boring.

I agree 100% with everyone on how the lunch food is complete garbage. My school's lunch is so unhealthy. They serve French fries and chicken everyday, and they also serve a different meal everyday such as Monday-pizza, Tuesday-pasta, etc. Fries are included in every lunch and they recommend you get them because for some reason it makes the price you have to pay cheaper. They claim they have vegetarian options, but in reality all they have is a few pieces of lettuce (not even the good kind) in a plastic container and you can add tomatoes or cucumbers. You're better off bringing your own lunch, especially if you don't eat meat. Additionally, they consider their greasy, usually burnt French fries to fulfill the vegetable part of a lunch. Just no.

School starts waaaay too early. My first class starts at 7:15 AM and I have to wake up at 5:30. First of all, teenagers are wired to go to sleep late and sleep in late, a health teacher told me this once. So why are teenagers being forced to learn right after the sun has risen?? It's not logical. And then teachers get mad when kids fall asleep in class... I only get 6 hours or less of sleep which is not healthy at all. Adolescents are supposed to get much more sleep than that. Also, colleges expect kids to get good grades and be well rounded, most kids do some sort of sport or activity. I take numerous dance classes throughout the week and it's really tough because I get home around 9 pm and then have to shower and finish homework. I have fallen asleep doing homework so many times that I've lost count. I go to sleep around 10:00-12:30 (depending on how much homework I have/what extracurriculars) wake up at 5:30 and repeat. There is something wrong with this.
I hate how everyone is forced to take the same classes. I have been terrible at math and hated it from a young age. I understand that yes, everyone needs to know basic math. But we learned that in elementary school. I think after middle school, tag should be optional. Why is everyone forced to take algebra, geometry, and algebra 2 & trigonometry? I think by age 14/15, most kids know what subjects they find interesting and they excel in (and if they don't, they should take some classes and figure out what they like). Why make them take classes that won't help them in life? I do not need to take advanced math courses, like those mentioned above, for the career I want to pursue. I find it frustrating and a waste of time for both the teacher and myself. Then people wonder why some kids hate school so much. I think school would be much more interesting if I got to take courses that I like. I hate common core. Everyone is NOT the same. People have different interests; people learn differently; stop trying to make everyone identical. I would rather be taking multiple English classes, a history class, and biology and possibly another science class. It just really bothers me that everyone is forced to take the same classes and learn the same things.

I also hate teachers who don't let kids go to the bathroom. Like, uh, excuse me sir, but do you want the kid to poop on your desk? I think it's rather cruel and inhumane to deny someone to go to the bathroom to relieve themselves.

Teachers are also a big part of the problem. I have a math teacher this year who is so terrible. Me and my friend have to watch math lessons online because he doesn't fully explain things. On the contrary, I have a history teacher who I adore. She tells us stories, talks about current day news, incorporates everyday things to help us remember facts, let's us watch fascinating documentaries occasionally, interacts with her students, and overall just makes learning fun. I think there should be small cameras in the classroom to watch teachers because I have one teacher who continually picks on this one girl. It's really evident that he dislikes her, and he is always rude to her. It's definitely not teasing, and I think it shouldn't be allowed.

I also agree with having smaller class sizes, and having class discussions more often.
#17 Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Although I like it more than the other two high schools I've been two (one was a private Catholic school I felt smothered in and the other was in a residential treatment center which was... no fun) I hate how my school is run and handled.

It's repulsive. A lot of the adults DO NOT TEACH. My AP US History class is just like - we get assigned notes and readings. If the teacher lectures it's not about what's on the tests - but she rarely even lectures and when she does, we spend half the time talking off subject and she never finishes. My band director is horrible. He tears us down, nothing close to constructive criticism. Just pure insults and biting remarks. He singles people out and nit picks their flaws then gets pissed off when they don't know something that THEY WERE NEVER TAUGHT! I could go on all day about him, but I'll put it that he's a horrible teacher as well as a person and shouldn't be permitted to work with minors. I can complain about just about every teacher or administrator in that school. There isn't care behind it. It all seems to be run by bitterness and desire for a paycheck so student-teacher relationship is virtually impossible. I would require them to get some therapeutic training as well as sensitivity training.

The school is also completely inconsistent with their discipline policy. There was an episode of "World's Strictest Parents" in my town that featured my school and it was completely inaccurate. It made it appear that we were strict on rules and policy - but the thing is, they only are on the things that aren't very important. Like dress code and IDs. The hall monitors are nazis when it comes to this. They'll practically chase you down the hallway and parade you for your plastic little ID. I've had a lot of problems with harassment at my school and have reported it first to the counsellors. When nothing was done after repeated documentation I took it to the administrators with my parents help... Nope. We even had to consult the police and a personal lawyer about a particular situation that jeapordized my entire future because of one student that could not leave me alone. Restraining measures were placed early on in which were violated and allowed to go despite written requirements of the punishments that were supposed to take place.

So harrassment, bullying, stalking etc. is NOT taken seriously. One of the highest administrators in the school even told me straight up that they'll only act if it gets to a direct, obvious physical level and pretty much invalidated any kind of severity to emotional, verbal, and stalking forms of harassment. THAT needs to change. Priotities really need to be addressed.

The school spends heaps of money on the athletic program but neglects the music program. The band and choir hall are quite literally falling apart and on every trip to football games, etc... the football players have gotten charter buses and taken to nice restaurants. The band? Cheap crap buffets and buses that have broken down or had no air conditioning on several occasions.

Standardized testing in public schools also sucks. It makes the curriculum based AROUND that test, not on what we're going to need for college or real life. We aren't really learning, it's all about a grade on a sheet and is mostly brainless book work. Emotions aren't considered and anxiety levels skyrocket but that doesn't matter to this school.

Food? Repulsive. I don't think there's a thing they offer that's vegan friendly, and I don't even know what kids with allergy problems do... Even the omni kids hate it because it's so disgusting. Soggy, often undercooked, appear to be old, hairs found in them... So nasty!

#18 Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 AM

I want the adventure dnd teacher. There is like this adventure thing for class. Look it up. Night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#19 Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to WalkTheWalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery smith View Post
I've been reading a lot about educational philosophy and have been watching videos of different people's critiques of education. The General complaint seems to be that highschool is too much like a factory and over-standardized. With bells and lockers, permission to use the restrooms, lunch breaks, schedule of subject to subject in age groups. From there its textbooks and tests and powerpoint presentations, it all being very mechanical, like a place to manufacture young job ready citizens.

I agree that high school is not how it should be. Textbook readings are dull and lifeless, tests are just stressful exercises of short-term memory, powerpoint presentations put me to sleep. Homework takes forever and uses up precious time otherwise spent on things more fun. Waking up early is painful. I bring my own food because the cafeteria food is unhealthy processed animal product trash. Classes put limits on the amount of times students are allowed to visit the restroom. Lots of school material seems useless like I'll never use it in real life. And of course their are the teachers that just arent all that helpful and cant explain anything well. There usually arent enough group activities so I tend to feel isolated. Project deadlines are too strict. I do however have 2 nice teachers(out of 8). Lessons are too fast to to stay up to date with.

School just doesnt seem like my thing. I feel like just forcing myself through 2 years of community college and bail from there. Seriously. It just seems too strict, stressfull and a waste of time. I have one friend and a girlfriend and see them about once or twice every other day(not that often). My motivation to learn anything seems to have gone down the toilet. I'd rather spend the rest of my life painting houses or assembling bookshelves than go through more academic torture and become some rich doctor or lawyer. It just doesnt seem worth it.

My learning environment isnt active, engaging or interesting. I feel no incentive to try harder as any benefit just seems to distant to care. The subjects and skills are completely irrelevant to my job/career goals.

Does any other teen feel this way? Like the only reason why you're there is because you have to and there's maybe a friend or two you can talk to? Do you agree that school is the enemy and void of meaning?

Even if you dont completely agree, here is my main question...

If you could radically re-structure the school, if you could change the learning environment, transform how teachers interact with their students, how would you do it? What would you do make lessons fun? How would you keep track of progress besides standardized testing? How long would you make each class? How many subjects would you offer? I'm sure you can think of other details to include. Would you make it compulsory or voluntary? At a building, home, library or anywhere?

What would be your main goal for educating students? To develop creative talents? Promote intellectual intelligence? To prepare workers for the labor market? What do you want out of school?

I am very interested in reading what other teens have to say about this. Our public education system being controlled by the government, teacher, adults, nobody ever really cares to ask what the students want. They just decide everything for us and tell us what to do. I feel this should obviously be changed. Who else feels that way?

I havent decided on any particular educational philosophy, but Im wondering which ones do you think are interesting? What are your experiences with "the system"?

Thank you for reading.

Follow your heart and do what you think is good, if that's what you really seek. Don't let others run your life
#20 Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 PM

I go to a private school so idk if this interests you at all...
Make it less STEMmy. Nobody there cares about art, music, poetry, etc. bc "you can't make a living off of it". Yeah well, I don't want to be a businessperson and I don't see why I need to be taking calculus in 11th grade. Dx I rarely have time to practice my instruments or compose anything bc I'm trying too hard to get As. I wish there was a program for artsy students so that we can get high GPAs without having to sacrifice our art education.
#21 Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like my school to quit buying crap for the sports deptartment and then saying they "don't ave enough money" for academic or arts programs.
They fired the Latin teacher.
And wot accept donations for anything but the sports and IB Program.
So, unless you're an athlete or a genius my school doesn't give a crap.

As for the comment about arts. Ummm.... That school sounds idiotic. You CAN make a living off of music. You don't even need to be well-known to do so.
#22 Old 02-11-2017, 10:41 PM

I would get rid of the one size fits all approach and send human fascists who defame veganism as well as animal rights in general to labor camps. I grew up in the same region as these insufferable detractors I have to go to school with, so I have no sympathy for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page