I'm afraid to tell my parents. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 PM

I haven't eaten any meat for a month now, but they haven't noticed. I know i have to tell them, but i don't know how. I'm afraid of how my parents will react and all the drama it might cause. So any advice to make them understand? How did you tell your parents? Thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

(I'm not a teen)
When I was a kid I announced I was becoming a vegetarian to my mom. Luckily she accepted and made it easy for me. But I'm assuming that if you're worried about drama then you have parents who aren't as accepting as my mom was.

However, if they haven't even noticed that you're not eating meat then they're not really paying all that much attention, which suggests they might not have a big problem with a change like this. You might want to give your parents the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll accept your decision. If you go into it with positive expections then that alone might give you the right approach to ensure a positive outcome.

If I were you the first thing I would do is study up on veg nutrition. That's for your own health and also so you can persuade your parents to let you go veg. Here are some resources:

Vegan Health page on vegan teens: http://veganhealth.org/articles/teens
Keeping Kids Healthy section on vegan kids: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welco...nchildren.html
The ADA’s guide to important vegetarian nutrient sources (for all ages): http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6374
The American Dietetic Association’s recommendations for getting children and teens to eat their fruits and veggies (for ALL children, not just vegan and vegetarian children): http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6749
Vegan Health info page on vegan pregnancy and children: http://veganhealth.org/articles/preginfchil
The Vegetarian Resource Group’s paper on vegetarian and vegan kids: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.htm
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s paper called “Vegetarian Diets: Advantages for Children” http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=264

You can probably print those all up and put them into a binder to keep. You can show your parents the binder when you're ready to "come out."
#3 Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You can probably print those all up and put them into a binder to keep. You can show your parents the binder when you're ready to "come out."

Thats a great idea. Tomorrow when i get home from school, i'm going to print some stuff out to show them. I hope they will understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 AM

How did it go?
#5 Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 AM

Oh my, I really understand what you are going through!
I was 17, and lived with my dad and his wife. Especially my dad did EVERYTHING he could to make me eat meat! He was so angry, and said "I don't see why this should be my problem!! Now we have to make special food for you, you are so selfish! Think about others!". I did, I thought about the animals What helped me, was to make my own dinner.. He never understood but he accepted at last..
#6 Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Personally, if I am afraid to admit to something, that usually means that I might actually think its wrong.
Build up your reasons, your defense etc.. and let them know.
Presented with facts, they might argue the point, but in the end they should accept it.
#7 Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drotar View Post

How did it go?

My mom asked, and i told her i don't want to eat meat. I think she thinks its just a phase, but i'll take it. My dad doesn't pay attention anyways so i won't cause any trouble until he notices.
#8 Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Hopefully your parents will come around after a while. Mine actually did, and trust me, the first time I told my parents I wanted to be a vegetarian I simply blurted it out and there was a lot of yelling..... In the end, I ended up making them a kind of portfolio of different resources on vegetarian nutrition info for kids/teens, a persuasive letter about why I wanted to be a vegetarian and how much it meant to me, a sample meal plan, etc. Yes, it was overkill, I suppose, but it worked and over time my parents have become a million times more supportive. Just try to show your mom that it's not a phase if you want by helping with the grocery shopping and cooking, finding vegetarian cookbooks, and things along those lines. Otherwise, good luck and congrats you've made a great decision and I'm sure you won't regret it!
#9 Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM

You're not coming out of the closet. Whats the worse they can do? (I don't mean to undermine your dilemma)

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
#10 Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM

i am in the same situation.
#11 Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Hello everyone, thank you for the help! Both my parents know know and they haven't made a big deal out of it. I just said i didn't want to eat meat anymore and they asked why, and i explained. My dad jokes about it but it isn't bad.

TTT15: It isn't too bad, just have alot of info to back up your decision. Best of luck and let us know what happens!
#12 Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Ira
Banned

glad to hear that it went well
#13 Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smemae94 View Post

Hello everyone, thank you for the help! Both my parents know know and they haven't made a big deal out of it. I just said i didn't want to eat meat anymore and they asked why, and i explained. My dad jokes about it but it isn't bad.

TTT15: It isn't too bad, just have alot of info to back up your decision. Best of luck and let us know what happens!

That's great! Glad to hear it went well. Good luck with your future vegetarianism.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#14 Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Just go outrite and say that ur vegan... I did. They may refus it but after a while of dishes coming back with the meat untouched. They should understand... Also pack a lunch with them right next to you thats vegan... IF they give you meat, ignore it.
#15 Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM

what are yopu asking i am not picking can you explain your topic so i will understand you
#16 Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM

hehe you sound EXACTLY like me a year ago, look what I was like then.... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5091517AAfcurV

actually kinda embarrassing now i was only 12 then and a bit naive but I learnt from it and now my parents know, I read hundreds of pages online about how to tell them but I don't talk to my parents about ANYTHING, small talk but thats about as far as it goes because I feel really uncomfortable discussing moral dilemmas with them so telling my mum was a huge step for me. In the end I ended up juat casually slipping it into a conversation and my mum didn't dwell on it at all she didnt really seem bothered but it depends on your re lationship with your parent really (just realised after typing all of this you have already told them oh well I'll post it anyway it might help somebody else)

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page