Teens : Study Hall - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Y'all, to Study Hall.

I figured we could do with a place to hang out, get study tips and help with homework from people who can relate. You dig?

So feel free to discuss classes, homework, teachers and all the other things people discuss in Study hall, when they're not studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

what a grand idea...I know I'll be needing some help in the very near future with chemistry!
#3 Old 03-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds great! I'm in the top ten, but I'm really lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm such a nerd.

My favorite classes are chemistry and math, pero a veces me gusta espanol tambien. I get all A's and I'm in the top 10%, but I credit it all to good luck
#5 Old 03-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I was wondering if anyone else is going to college next year, and if so, which colleges are they looking at?
#6 Old 03-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in the top 10% but really don't know why. When it gets down to it, I am a nerd also. This thread probably will be coming in handy
#7 Old 03-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I get called a nerd, but I don't really study much or anything. Laziness personified, that's me. Probably because I chose Chemsitry, Physics, Calculus etc just for fun.
#8 Old 03-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

AliasSpy- I'm checking into Colby-Sawyer College up here in NH... that's my extent of college searching
#9 Old 03-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not going to college next year, I am only a sophomore, but I am really interested in University California Santa Cruz. It has an awesome Marine biology department and does exhange programs with Australia.
#10 Old 03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I have the biggest problem with procrastinating (like right now, I have 30 geometry questions, a Social studies project, and a journal entry to do but I'm here instead) and always leaving stuff to the last minute.

Well, all my teachers are either incredibly boring, biased, or just plain *******s
#11 Old 03-06-2004, 10:15 PM

i am looking at Evergreen College in the Olympia area in orgeon. I have no idea why though, im only a freshmen, but thats alright!
#12 Old 03-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a junior, so I'll be off to college soon I think I may go to Eastern Michigan. My brother's there, and they appear to have a good art program (art, textiles, etc - I want to go into fashion design) and a good French program (I may go into French).
#13 Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 AM

I'm a junior too... eek this year is so stressful! i'm looking at Drew or Mount Holyoke for premed... or maybe political science... or spanish...or even journalism or i could be a physician living in spain who also acts as an ambassador to the US and writes articles! ha
#14 Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Well,the college I really want to go to is New York University. The thing is, is that it's really expensive and I'm pretty much poor. lol. So I would have to get grants and stuff. I probably won't even get in. I think I'm most likely going to the University of Pittsburgh. Did yuo guys take the SATs yet? The thing was a pain in my ass lol. i took it 3 times and I finally got over a 1350, 1410 to be exact. I was so surprised because the first 2 times I got a 1260. Sooo, i'm a senior now, and senioritis is taking over. I really don't feel like doing work anymore.
#15 Old 03-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I have the biggest problem with procrastinating (like right now, I have 30 geometry questions, a Social studies project, and a journal entry to do but I'm here instead) and always leaving stuff to the last minute.

Well, all my teachers are either incredibly boring, biased, or just plain *******s

Well, I love most of my teachers but, Gad, the procrastination is sure something I can relate to. I have several assignments/investigations due in the next week and have done, Oh, pretty much none of them. Sigh.
#16 Old 03-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel so young, everyone is talking about colleges Well, happily for me, my brother will be going off to Cornell next year (5-6 hours away from our house) so I won't have to see him much!
#17 Old 03-07-2004, 09:47 PM

I think I got someone to explain this to me before.. But I forget.. Is it just a class (of regular size) that you are supposed to study in? That has nothing to do with this thread really.. I'm just curious.. We have study periods once a week in my school (senior school only) and they are just classes made up alphabetically of no more than 30 people where you are supposed to study for an hour. Some teachers make you do it silently.. boo.

I procrastinate too much. Especially when it comes to homework.
#18 Old 03-07-2004, 09:51 PM

for us study hall is required for all freshmen for the first quarter if you have an off period. If you get below a C in any of your classes you get put back in study hall. its stupid. anyway.
#19 Old 03-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

We have a study hall... except it's called seminar. It's required for all students... it's a time to do your homework, make up tests, ask teachers for help, etc. We have it second block (block scheduling).
#20 Old 03-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a self-confessed nerd too.

I'm studying English, Society and Culture, Biology, Food Tech and Exploring Early Childhood so if anyone needs advice or an opinion or anything I'm willing to help out as much as I can!
#21 Old 03-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a study period once a week - that's just in a regular classroom and my whole year has to do it, but not all in the same room, of course.

But I also have Private Study 4 times a week for about an hour, because I didn't like the crappy class they were trying to put me in for that period so they gave me study time instead. Nice people. That group is in a different room everyday, practically. And they're all a year older than me - I'm the only one in my year taking only 5 subjects, i think.
#22 Old 03-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, another thing... How many classes/subjects do you guys have to take, and what are they?
#23 Old 03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

At my school, you're required to have at least 6 classes. We have block scheduling :boo!: with 8 periods. Monday we have all 8 classes, tuesday and thursdays we have periods 1,3,5,6,7 and wednesdays and fridays we have periods 2,4,5,6,7.

My schedule for first semester was:

Period 1- late arrival

Period 2- College Chemistry

Period 3- Study Hall

Period 4- Humanities

Period 5 (beginning) Lunch

Period 5 (after 2nd bell)-8 Vocational School for Health Occupations

Now, my schedule for second semester is:

Period 1- Late arrival

Period 2- College Chemistry

Period 3- Physical Education (yeah, I have gym as a senior!)

Period 4- Humanities

Period 5 (beginning) Lunch

Period 5 (after 2nd bell) -8 Vocational school for Health Occupations.

teh_ames- Mount Holyoke is nice, I believe it's all female though, but hey, if you don't to go to a co-ed, all the more power to you! (I'm looking into 1 all female school, but it offers equestrian stuff as well as Nursing so I've got my 2 fixes right there ) There are tons of schools out there that offer Pre-Med Good luck with your search!
#24 Old 03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in crappy middle school so I dont even get to choose my classes other than language. I have to take: Earth Science, World Civ, Geometry, Language Arts and Literacy (a fancy way of saying English and making us have it for 2 periods), Chinese (or someone who doesnt take a language can have study hall), Gym/Health, and Cycle which is stuff like woodshop and cooking. They dont even count lunch as a period since we only have 25 minutes for it.

Next year I get to choose 3 electives
#25 Old 03-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

each full-year class is one credit. by the end of senior year, we have to have recieved 22.5 credits.

we have to recieve at least 3 social studies, math and science credits throughout our highschool career, 4 english credits, and the rest are electives. Language is considered an elective. It's not required but highly recommended, as most colleges require it. pleh.

This year's schedule was sort of bland, I've just been trying to get my requirements through (and band=easy A, somewhat enjoyable.) Next year will be fun. I'm taking a break from math, and in addition to english, word civilizations, (SS) and Spanish (I may get to go to Spain!) I'll be taking creative writing, drama class, video productions, and "fun" sciences (since i'm no science whiz and no way in hell am i taking physics.) I know that whole sentence was jacked with parentheses and absolutely nuts, but I just wanted to get my point across. hehe.
#26 Old 03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's my schedule:

Green Day:

1 - Accounting I

2 - Seminar

3 - French IV

4 - Trig/Pre-Calc

White Day:

5 - AP Government

6 - American Literature

7 - Art I

8 - Drama

And I recently signed up for classes for next year...

Drama

Seminar

AP Art

AP English

Marketing (2 blocks)

Psychology/Sociology (1 semester of each)

French V
#27 Old 03-08-2004, 05:26 PM

hm.. I have block scheduling with 10 periods.. we kind of have a built in study hall

maroon days:

1- math analysis

2- academic lab (study hall.. we can go around to other classes and get help, if needed)

3- senior english

4- lunch

5- PE

gold days:

6- choir

7- academic lab

8- economics

9- lunch

10- physics
#28 Old 03-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I take only 5 real classes, instead of the usual 6 that the rest of my year takes. (Picking them all was one of the best things about Year 11... argh, in crappy year 10 ya just hadda take what they gave ya.)

Anyway, I have four periods a week of each of these subjects:

Private Study

English

Introductory Calculus

Geometry & Trigonometry

Chemistry

Physics

Chemistry's probably my favourite so far. The teacher's really fun.
#29 Old 03-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, um, yeah I feel dumb now!

I'm usually good in sciences, but this year, it's kicking me in the butt! Chemistry is my thoughest class, I just can't figure out a lot of the stuff. I'm in way over my head, but I've survived 1/2 the year so far, almost 3/4 of it... just gotta keep hanging in there.

My teacher is not fit to be a teacher, one night she gave us 18 problems out of the book but within those problems there were sub-problems... it took me 6 hours to complete it.... I hate that class! The total amount of problems was like 50 equations that needed to be balanced, re written etc.
#30 Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I have 5 study periods a week, where I'm not assigned a class to go to, so I can go to our common room or the library etc. I can also leave the school.

Will you get something similar next year at Riccarton Danny? I thought it would be similar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page