A question for all you vegan teens... - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Well, my dad was one, and then one day I was playing with my sheep and cow stuffed animal and I was eating some meat and I was suddenly like "EW! I'M EATING AN ANIMAL!" and I just gave it up... my dad was good about, obviously, and a couple months after, my mom decided to jump on the bandwagon. but now since her husband is a meat eater and she cooks him meat, she's an omnivore too now.. eh.

my aunt and uncle though.. oh man! my uncle's a hardcore hunter and cooks everything he kills. he's ALWAYS bugging me about it. good thing i only see him 2x a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-07-2004, 06:35 PM

Well, it was only easy to convince my parents [with veganism] by gradually starting off with vegetarianism. The bad approach, at least in my experience, was starting off omnivore and immediately becoming a vegan. Vegetarianism alone was a very hard battle I eventually won by just saying, "Look, I'll rummage through the cabinets and make do with what I can, and if there's nothing vegetarian, I guess I'll starve until there is."

That worked.

Assuming you're already vegetarian, how about just casually depleting the eggs, then dairy products one at a time from your diet instead? You could try printing out some facts on vegan nutrition, and if it's still not convincing, look through the cabinets and see if you could make do with what's in there. Even if it's vegetable soup, crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, canned vegetables, whatever, it'll eventually get their attention and they'll most likely admire/detest your dedication enough to budge. You could also make some new suggestions on the grocery list while at it.

I told my mother I was vegan about four days ago when we stopped by Wendy's. After refusing to order a frosty, all she said was, "How long is the veganism going to last? You better not change your mind when we get home because I don't have enough gas to come back up here." and that was that. I guess it gets a little easier once you get past the vegetarianism route. Now, she actually believes I eat healthier than the rest of the family whereas before my diet was considered inadequate in nutrition and "very low" in protein.

A good site for vegan nutrition: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

EDIT: Well, it looks I had a major brainfart, so I'll just leave my original post for those of you who want to transition to veganism and are going through similar problems at home. :P
#33 Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 PM

my mom like basiclly doesn't care. I joined PETA and everything and she's just basiclly like 'do whatever'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-11-2004, 07:28 PM

My parents made me find a lot of info on nutrition stuff, and made me prove that I could still live healthily while being a vegan, which took a lot of work, but now they are very supportive and will buy me vegan things as long as its not to expensive.
#35 Old 03-11-2004, 11:08 PM

agh my parents are still awful about it. its not easy when your dad and sister are homophobes and your dad is completely a carnivore. wow those sentences are not gramatically correct.
#36 Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that time is the only actual way to gain acceptance. once parents realise that you are vegetarian and aren't going back, they'll probably give up on attacking you and start accepting it.
#37 Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I went vegetarian back in early September 2001. (Before September 11th, so that's not related at all) My mom, a Conservative christian, was a little bit annoyed I could tell, but didn't really say anything. My dad really didn't say much. Then again, when they asked me why I just said "it's healthier". Not the reason, it was more ethical reason. I frankly was tired that night and didn't feel like possibly getting into an argument over the ethics of eating another living being that has a central nervous system. I sort of am mid-way into going vegan, they don't really know yet. Once I can phase-out things like my shoes (Leather product, will be a while before I can get new ones probably) and such, so I don't seem hypocritical. So, I can't tell how they reacted to that yet, but they didn't give me alot over becoming a vegeterian.
#38 Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 PM

I became vegetarian two years ago, because of a terrible incident involving a birthday dinner and bleeding chicken. My parents were worried, but figured it was a "phase". It's lasted two years, and then this new years, I became vegan. Again, they were worried, but when I proved I was "learned", then they [sort of] accept it. And, I'm a trendsetter, because my mom's moved into vegetarianism.

xoxo, Kayla
#39 Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom was accepting at first but then she started asking question of "concern", but now she's used to it.

My dad thinks I'm stupid, he sometimes makes the comments "I'm getting tired of all of the stupid vegetarian stuff, get over it"

My sister thinks I'm a freak and just makes rude comments but overall she pretty cool about it.
#40 Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 PM

i never really had a problem w/me parents. they both used to be vegetarian so they understand where i'm comink from. altho me mum does wish i vould give up vegan and just be a vegetarian cause she's concerned bout me health but i explained some stuff to her and agreed to take a freakishly huge amount of vitamins so she's happy now ^.^
#41 Old 08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister was a veggie before me so my mom was used to cooking for a vegetarian. When I became one, my parents didn't believe me. My dad even told me that I didn't have the will power to do it, I proved them wrong. I haven't had meat since I became a vegetarian. I want to wait a little while before becoming a vegan. They've come to accept it. Even though every once in a while my mom gets frustrated with me because she sometimes doesn't know what to cook for me. Because besides being a vegetarian, I am a very picky eater. Thats my story

-Liz
#42 Old 08-28-2004, 10:01 PM

Me: *randomly* Mum I'm going to go Vegetarian

Her: Uh-huh.. sure..
#43 Old 08-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

Me: *randomly* Mum I'm going to go Vegetarian

Her: Uh-huh.. sure..

are you serious!?????

if so, damn! you're lucky!
#44 Old 08-28-2004, 11:14 PM

She didn't believe me, and she thought it would just be a phase (because I'd always been "Haha vegetarians are dumb", and yeah I just woke up one day I said it.).
#45 Old 08-30-2004, 08:47 AM

Don't any of your parents think that soymilk is too expensive? I'd like to stop drinking (cows) milk, but my parents say soymilk is way more expensive than cow's milk, and it's too much to pay.
#46 Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM

soymilk is expensive.. but, i buy it on my own so my parents don't care. heheh.
#47 Old 08-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My rents are cool with it now. I told them I didnt want to eat animals anymore when I was like five and figured out what meat was. I guess I kept bugging my rents about it so they let me go veggie slowly, till I went full ovo-lacto at like 10. Since then I've learned that some of the things I thought were veggie actually aren't (like they contained lard or geletain) but I did my best! And my rents have been really good about it, except they don't really understand veganism. But I'm trying my best to cook them vegan meals and such... So far they like everything I cook!
#48 Old 08-30-2004, 08:22 PM

For years I told my mom I wanted to be vegan.

Then I just said "Mom I'm vegan now." casually, and she said "Ok I want you to read up on nutrition then" and I got Nutrition for Dummies and read online a lot about vegan nutrition.

She wasn't mad.

Now my parents are all proud of me.
#49 Old 08-30-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflowerblue View Post

Don't any of your parents think that soymilk is too expensive? I'd like to stop drinking (cows) milk, but my parents say soymilk is way more expensive than cow's milk, and it's too much to pay.

put it this way: you're saving money in the long run... you're less likely to get diseases and have to go to the hospital!
#50 Old 08-31-2004, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, someone has woken up this thread!! I'd forgotten about it!

Despite my parents hating the idea, I went 100% vegan almost two months ago. It had got to the point where I was practically vegan anyway and I kinda just tipped over into fully-fledged vegan!

Because I was transitioning for so long, my parent's had aaaages to see what was going on. That meant that I didn't have to drop any bombshells, or rock the boat too much

It was the best timing for me too, because I was ready mentally to take on the opposition of every single person in my family. If I'd gone cold turkey when I wanted to, I would've been squashed.

I buy and make my own food, so I don't see why it should be an issue for them. I know they hate it though, because my mum "doesn't even like the word vegan". Hrmph.

It's been pretty smooth sailing though, as long as I make sure I cook my own meals and buy my own stuff!! Two major rules if you want to live as a vegan with anti-everything parents.
#51 Old 08-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Beginner

i went vegetarian at about 10 or 11, and my parents were super-supportive (mom's a vegetarian) almost all my younger cousins then "saw the light" and decided to go veg too, as well as my little brother. my 8 year old cousin and i are the strictest (is that a word?) and never eat fish or candy with gelatin, etc.

about a year ago my 14 year old cousin and i made up a way to cut down on dairy and eggs without dropping them completely: vegan week. the first week of every month we'd be vegan together. our parents were fine and thought it was a good way to "experiment" with veganism. we started flaking out later and forgetting about it, but i remembered our deal a few weeks ago and asked her if she'd do vegan week with me. she was hesitant, and ended up not doing it, but the 8 year old agreed to do it, so we did, and had a blast! we always shop at a co-op, so there's vegan everything there from muffins to ice-cream to burgers, etc.

so i decided that i may go over to veganism long-term (although that's difficult 'cause i'm allergic to soy). i mentioned it to my mom and she just sort of dismissed saying that "alot of the vegetarian meals we eat here are already vegan, so what's the point?" huh. i guess with vegetarianism she's supportive because that's what we all are, but with veganism she only supports it if it's convenient. she's been super great about part-time veganism, but we were just doing that to get used to the idea so we could do it permanently later. i guess that part wasn't clear. oh well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page