Being a vegetarian without eating vegetables? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM

I just started recently not eating any form of meat. I have a problem though, I don't like any vegetables. I mean NONE! I do love fruits though! So does anyone have any suggestions on liking them or substitutes?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM

What is it that you don't like about vegetables? They don't all taste the same!
#3 Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM

That's a really good question I despise every part of salad, it's just..bleh! I think it all seems kinda plain. I might try a few new ones though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've had lots of veggies and salads that were totally "bleh"! However, I've had so many more (esp. after turning veg.) that were absolutely delicious!

A bag of frozen veggies, cooked in the microwave- bleh.

Fresh roasted, or steamed, with some olive oil and herbs or spices- yum.

Salads can be the worst- or the best. I personally like mine at room temp., which is why I don't have them more often, but it makes a ton of difference to me.

Try different fruits, and crushed nuts. Dried cranberries, seeds, beans.

Heres a good one:

Can of black beans rinsed and drained

cup or more of any style corn

celery, red onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato- thinly sliced, or diced.

Any or all- dressing is optional. This is my quick favorite.

Try an olive oil mixed with garlic and herbs over steamed veggies and pasta.

There are vegan vidallia onion dressing I like over veggies, as well as salads. I get Aldis brand.

What do you kinda like?

My tastes have changed since I've been veg, BTW

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just like you when I first went vegetarian, OP. I liked potatoes, tomato sauce and frozen peas and tolerated corn and carrots. Besides that, I refused to eat vegetables. I promise you, the key to broadening your horizons is to try things. Prepare vegetables that you don't like in sauces that you already know you enjoy. Mix small amounts of them into things you usually make without them. They key is to eat them until you like them. It's not much fun at first but it's worth it in the long run.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#6 Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Salads, particularly wilted-lettuce-and-one-slice-of-pink-tomato cheap fast food salad is not the be all and end all of vegetables. I would try things like fresh cucumber slices instead of chips for your spreads and guacamole, thick homemade salsas and sauces, and shakes made in the blender. Also, I would make a list of veggies your parents have never bought or served, and try them. Don't give up on any vegetable until you've cooked it a few different ways, too. For me, the same vegetable can be tasty or revolting depending on how you fix it up.

Good luck.
#7 Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys! I will try these things! My mom said she might go vegetarian with me so that will help!!
#8 Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you like french fries? Oven baked fries are great, and you can use sweet potatoes if you like, which are very nutritious.

Chopped up veggies in a marinara sauce?
#9 Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelover1220' date='23 July 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1279910448' post='2677775 View Post

That's a really good question I despise every part of salad, it's just..bleh! I think it all seems kinda plain. I might try a few new ones though!

Are you talking about one of those wimpy iceberg-in-a-bag "salads", or a real salad?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#10 Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I NEVER like vegetables, I still have trouble eating vegetable and I don't eat a lot of vegetable but now I have a policy for myself "If it's veg*n I'll try it at least once, if I don't like it, fine I won't eat it but if I do like it I'll enjoy it the best I can, except for stinky things like papaya or noni."

I you haven't tried ALL vegetables in the world then you can't say you don't like none. One thing that helps me a lot is to close my eyes and try the vegetable raw and found out what its real flavor is.

Vegards,
Yen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.facebook.yenhowell.com

Twitter: @yenhowell
#11 Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I absolutely agree with the others. I think we're all scarred from years of mushy and flavorless vegetables It's all about preparation. Just go into it open minded.

My favorite roasted potato recipe (if you're not a huge fan of spices, you can use less): http://shippersx.com/blog/2007/04/05...sted-potatoes/

Oven Roasted Asparagus: http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-asparagus-50847

I like making crock pot meals too. Lots of veggies with broth, soy sauce, apple juice. I can get the recipe for one if you'd like.
#12 Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I think we're all scarred from years of mushy and flavorless vegetables

Totally. I grew up on canned veggies. After I went out on my own, I switched to frozen, but still only ate them because I knew I needed to. I never really enjoyed them. After going vegetarian, I started learning to cook more, and omg, fresh veggies are to die for! Steamed broccoli with a little salt. Fresh veggies in a stir fry. Oven baked fries. Green smoothies. All too good for words! The key is to not over cook them. Over cooked broccoli is nasty. I actually ENJOY my veggies now. I CRAVE steamed broccoli. The way some people crave cake. LOL
#13 Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The key to eating tasty vegetable is to not cook them at all.

Well, some of them anyway.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#14 Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Just try 'em all! One thing that makes asparagus a little yummier every time I eat is to pretend their little monsters... rawr! Hahah. Honestly, I thought I hated all kinds of vegetables. Then I just decided to give every vegetable that came my way at least one chance. You know what? I love most of them!

Also, try to get your parents to take you to a local farmers market. Where the veggies come from can mean a world of difference in taste!
#15 Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i do hope you work this out. vegetables are essential! just remember that loading them up with oils and butter and salt makes it just as bad for you as meat :P try adding condiments such as mustard (dijon is my fav) or dressings to add some pizazz to them...
#16 Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Well, like any diet, you can't really be healthy without vegetables.
But You really don't like any?
Sweet potatoes, potatoes, spinach, carrots, squash, broccoli??? No pumpkin, or kale, turnips, or peppers?? :O

I suggest forcing yourself to eat them. Your body will realize how healthy they are for you, and your taste buds will adapt- just give it a few times (so don't isten to the "try it once, and if you don't like it, don't eat it" advice!!)
Before going veg, I didn't like ridiculous amounts of food that are very healthy- now there isn't a vegan food I can think of that I don't like! (except for olives, and not digging the papaya- but I've only ever had underripe ones!)

Now, every time I have quinoa, I like it more than the last, vegetables are becoming easier and easier to incorporate into my diet- I love them as sides, in smoothies (try green smoothies, add fruit, and add a little bit if leafy greens, and slowy incorporate more and more greens and less fruit until you're adding in at least 2 cups of your favorite leafy green! I looovee 1 apple, 2-3 C spinach, some spirulina and ice-yum!).
Just make yourself eat them and you'll come to love them!
#17 Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

You should try to eat more veggies. It's important. The raw ones are better than the processed canned ones or frozen ones even though I do eat frozen. I don't eat canned. Just go through a variety.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#18 Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Like some others have said - sauce is key! Try different sauces & dressings (making your own is the best - then you avoid lots of salt & preservatives) on raw veggies, steamed veggies, sauteed veggies, baked veggies... you don't have to have salads. I used to not enjoy salads, but I love them now.

Another thing to keep in mind is that vegetables have a bitter flavor to them, and bitter is the one flavor that we don't use much in Western cooking. So it will take some getting used to, but if you keep trying things you will probably find that you can learn to like it. When you're younger particularly your taste buds revolt at bitter foods, but as you get older this will start to change. So don't rule anything out forever - I used to hate eggplant, but now I love it!!

Making a slightly sweet or sour sauce will help to cut through the bitter flavor and make your veggies tastier. Also, try starting with the sweeter vegetables - carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, tomatoes - before forcing yourself into the most bitter ones - broccoli, kale, cabbage, asparagus.

Good luck!!

Feel free to check out my videos on how to make healthy and delicious vegan meals at www.HealthyVeganRecipes.net
#19 Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Mod reminder:

This thread is located in the teen forum. I have noticed at least 3 posts in here by people who are no longer teenagers. Please be careful to check where you are posting and don't post in the teen threads if you are older than 19 years old. Thanks!
#20 Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Vegetables are somewhat important to a healthy diet the same way the Pope is a bit Catholic. It'd be a good idea to expand your horizons, and there are so many amazing options as far as vegetables go, reaching FAR beyond salad. I never put salad on my plate unless "a teacher told me to", or unless it was the only option on a long road trip. Even now, when I've explored the world of food more thoroughly, I'm very picky about salad, and if I'm served a salad, it had better be better than my dessert. So far, I've only found two places that can consistently prepare a well constructed salad.

So, away from that! Explore a bit, make mistakes, figure out your personal tastes. Vegetables CAN be cooked (into fabulous gifts from above), though it would be ideal to eat a mix of cooked and raw foods. Are you the one cooking for yourself? Learn how to balance flavors, esp. to your taste. Salad covers such a narrow set of vegetation that it almost makes me cry (at least, until I uncover some hidden treasure of baby greens, glazed nuts, and toasted fruit, all drizzled with a sweet vinaigrette. Yes, salads can be that awesome). The majority of vegetables I consume do NOT come from salad. For me, good salad is a treat I get every once in a long while, when eating out at a very nice place on a special occasion.

Kale, leeks, onions, dandelion greens, bok choy, broccoli, broccoli rabe, spinach, napa cabbage, turnips, parsnips, beets, carrots, garlic (the stems are edible, and the best, if that's you thing), potatoes (3 zillion varieties), pea sprouts, green onions, etc.etc.etc.^n But wait! There's more!

That is, I haven't even started on the crops that are technically fruits but generally treated as a vegetable culinary-wise, or the grains and seed foods, also important to a healthy vegetarian diet, or any diet at all.
#21 Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I sorta liked veggies, but always thought they were boring. Then I went vegetarian (I'm vegan now!) and forced myself to eat them and lo and behold, they're quite tasty to me now! Like people have said, roasting or steaming them in olive oil and herbs is good.

I'm not a fan of lame ice berg lettuce salads. My favorite salad is fresh baby spinach, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and unsweetened dried cranberries with just a little bit of toasted sesame dressing on the side. I like dipping the veggies into the dressing a bit at a time. It's a sweet dressing, slightly salty, very yummy.

Have you tried sweet bell peppers? I love them fresh cut into strips. The red, yellow, and orange ones are quite sweet! So are the green ones, but to a lesser extent. Carrots are naturally sweet, too.

Turnips have a spice to them. Not hot, but they make your tongue tingle. :P

Carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli are very tasty when dipped in hummus (which is chickpeas and hardly anything else, so it's a veggie in dip form!). Hummus comes in a ton of different flavors (roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant, spicy pepper, and garlic are common ones, but I've also tried cucumber dill, sun dried tomato and basil, etc).

On the subject of hummus, it's also excellent on pizza! The brand Tribe makes pizza hummus. It has a tomato flavor with the spices usually in pizza sauce and cheese, while retaining it's hummus flavor. You can buy pizza dough from the grocer or the local pizza place cheap, or make it yourself. Then use the hummus as both the sauce and the cheese. I add sweet bell peppers, olives, and sometimes a little bit of onion. Super delicious, and it doesn't taste outlandish- it tastes like pizza!

I found a really cool-looking recipe for sweet potato burritos that I'm going to try tomorrow:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/addict...os/Detail.aspx

The people in the comments recommend replacing the kidney beans with black beans. I can't wait to try this recipe, it looks delicious!

Sorry for all the random ideas. I just threw in all of my favorite veggie-related things. P:
#22 Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 AM

I have a friend who usually hates veggies. She still loves to come visit me though, and my family strictly doesn't allow meat. She's still considerate and respectful for us, and it's a relief for me to have a friend like her because she's just so open-minded and doesn't judge a vegan like a typical omnivore would. Anyways, long story short: she randomly had a burst of excitement to try the fresh veggies we had prepared for dinner one night she was going to sleep-over. She asked my dad to grab the camera so he could take a photo of her eating broccoli. XD <3 She ended up loving vegetables after all~! My dad still has the photo(s), and my friend kept a copy of it and showed it off to the rest of the students in our school. :'D I love her...she's such a joy to hangout with. c:

I also didn't like veggies at one point. But it's sort of the mind-set and your own choice to be who you are. You make a claim and thus you become that....at least is what I believe, and it's pretty true in my experience as well as others. ;D
My goal is to be healthier. I want to show the world I can be a vegan and live that way correctly. I will show the world that I'm not the other sorry vegans who continue pigging out on extremely junky desserts or other foods more than they manage eating plants. Even my doctors keep picking on me about the stupid meat being "healthy." Eh, why would I eat something that can cause cancer and cardiac disease? Cancer especially runs in my family - I do NOT wanna spark a cancer cell in my DNA. =\\

So, from my goals, I forced myself to like vegetables. I even urged my parents to buy fresh veggies, not processed into a bag and frozen. Now, from that, I LOVE vegetables. I'm also 16, and compared to other 16 year-olds I know, they're wimpy to not wanna try veggies...it's not like they'll kill you like meat does.
To sum it up: it's a matter of will.

and my motto to help this make more sense: "I don't care about the taste. I care if it's truly healthy!" <3

EDIT: I also felt like mentioning one of few most hated veggies that I forced myself to love: brussel sprouts. I really hated them just earlier this year, but learned soon after to love them. They taste a bit bleh after eating a few, but if you really care about flavor it's good to put some nutritional yeast on them as a topping. Load them with as much of that stuff as you want - nutritional yeast is naturally packed with MANY vitamins including the all important Vitamin B12! ^w^
#23 Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

I was like you when I went vegan from omni. The only vegetables I liked were french fries Now I've tried lots of yummy vegetables in yummy ways!! Just look around for some good recipes to try and figure out how you like vegetables. I've personally found I either like them very, very soft in a soup, or cooked in lots of sauce in stir fry the most, though I've found lots of other recipes I love, too!

Also, I had never had a salad before going vegan. I had my first one just a few weeks ago, actually. I had it with a delicious italian vegan dressing and it was so good! Also, try dressing up veggies or salads with toppings. Add some chickpeas, corn, pinto beans, or some veg*n chik'n strips (Morningstars seem good for salads since they aren't breaded) to make them more flavorful and appetizing for you. Also, try different types of salads and dressings. I hate crunchy veggies. However, the salad I had was a soft salad mix of green and purple leaves that was very good. There's lots of dressings I'd like to try, too, like Raspberry vinagrette and all the other tasty sounding and looking ones.
#24 Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM

I would force yourself to eat them... stir fry them if possible because that also helps... add a lot of ur favorite sauce as well
#25 Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 AM

I used to think they were bleh, but after eating stir fried veggies with (or without) spice, I began to find them yummy.

Try to look for veggie recipes online, I've found a lot of awesome ones. If you have to go out for food, try going to Chinese restaurants. Most, if not all of them, have quite a lot of vegetarian/vegan menus that are delicious. Take it from me, I'm basically living off of vegetarian and vegan Chinese food after deciding to ditch meat and dairy
#26 Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 AM

I used to not like veggies or salads either! But after trying it in a breakfast buffet on holiday, I began to love it, especially with a tiny bit of thousand island sauce (which I know isn't vegan... sorry guys). Try chinese stir fried veggies, which is basically any chopped up veggies stir fried with garlic, salt and pepper.

Also try veggie burritos, which I really like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page