Earthlings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Have any of you teens watched the documentary "Earthlings"? What do you think of it? Do you think it's an okay film for teens to see?

I'm 14, and I sort of want to watch it, but the trailer seems pretty gory and I don't know if I should. I've heard the rest of it is very intense as well. I expect that, of course. It was made to be a wake up call. I just don't know if I should subject myself to being terrified if it's that bad when I'm already aware of some of it (I've seen Meet Your Meat and Glass Walls) and already veggie. I'm not too queasy, but I don't like excessive, extreme gore even when it's fake and I know it. All the same, it could be a very good thing for me to watch it in other ways.

If you've seen it, how old were you when you saw it and what do you think? If you haven't seen it, is there a reason why not or have you just not happened/had the opportunity to watch it yet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen it yet. Mainly because I also get queasy around blood and gore (I can't even bear to look at my wrists because I hate seeing the veins). If you already know what's going on and you're committed to being veg, I wouldn't suggest that you put yourself through any unnecessary pain. That being said, I do want to see it at some point because I want to be able to recommend it to omnis interested about veganism. I just need to get my nerves together and find some free time.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have any of you teens watched the documentary "Earthlings"?

I've seen it.

Quote:
What do you think of it?

I thought it was very good. I didn't like how it was divied up into "humans", "nature", and "animals" though. Humans are animals and animals are a part of nature.

Quote:
Do you think it's an okay film for teens to see?

Absolutely. It's simply ageist to censor this kind of thing.

I don't care how old the person is, if they should damn well know what they're eating. And should be enlightened as early as possible to the seemingly beautiful charade that so carelessly covers everything up.

While I admit it's quite horrifying to watch, I think on many different levels it's also very enlightening. It has some great quotes and even revealed some things I was unaware of before I'd seen it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen it mostly because I know what is going on and I have watched meet your meat. My mom watched it and she said it was quite disturbing but I do want to watch it eventually so that I can accurately describe the conditions of factory farms to omnis. I promised myself that if I ever think of eating something non-vegan then I will watch earthlings (but I doubt that will ever happen). I don't think you can ever be too young to watch movies like that so if you think you are ready to see it then go for it.
#5 Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it. I'm extremely sensitive to gore and things of that sort. I threw up twice during the movie, but I'll tell you right now, if you ever want a deterrent from eating meat, this movie would be it. I cried and was upset for days afterwards, but I cry when I see roadkill, so keep that in mind.
#6 Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

(I can't even bear to look at my wrists because I hate seeing the veins).

HOLY **** I'M NOT CRAZY! I'm the same way! I also can't stand heartbeats. -shudders-
#7 Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Beginner

I watched it when I was barely 13.

I didn't cry, but I couldn't look at some parts.

It's what made me a vegetarian.

Go for it, it'll make you feel even better about already being a veg*n.
#8 Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I watched it last year, when I was 16. I was sitting on my bed, with my cat right next to me, and began to watch it.

I had to pause it several times because I started crying a lot. Especially the parts about fur, because it really hits home. (I have bunnies) I had to wait about 20 minutes until I could compose myself to watch the rest.

After I finished watching it, I went and hugged every animal in my house.

I think it's appropriate for anyone at any age that can think for themselves and understand what's going on around them.

If you really watch to watch it but are unsure, you could always just begin to watch it, and if it get's too emotional for you, stop it. No place says you have to watch the entire thing to "get the picture". (:

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#9 Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 AM

sorry for chiming in so late but i thought i would add that it is tough to watch, im 18 and found it very hard to watch. its worse than those peta meat your meat videos, but it is a good movie if you can handle it. like jessyka i was upset for days and for me personally the animal testing really got to me and to be honest im still really upset about it. if you are every craving meat tho i agree it will definately push you away from that
#10 Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Earthlings is an incredible movie. I expected to cry when I saw it, but I didn't expect to cry from start to finish. :/

It's extremely upsetting, but I also feel like it's something that pretty much every omni needs to see. Don't force yourself into it though, unless you feel comfortable. You're already veg - I don't feel like you should do something which will undoubtedly be upsetting to you when you already understand the level to which animals suffer, and are working to combat that suffering. Your views most likely need little reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post

HOLY **** I'M NOT CRAZY! I'm the same way! I also can't stand heartbeats. -shudders-

OMG! Me too! I thought I was the only person who became freaked out at wrists. I can't even look at my own - the skin is so thin and delicate, and especially when the palm is drawn back, the veins are REALLY visible and upsetting. The skin at the top of one's foot, and area around the ankle in general, can be a bit icky too. xD
#11 Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 AM

I just watched it. I've decided I'm never eating meat again.

Dairy products are the next step.
#12 Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've watched it, and similar things around the age of 14 but to be honest I really hate that kind of thing. I was already vegetarian, and it just made me sad, it did nothing to convince me to become vegan (although I did) because I think that kind of emotional tactic is a bit base really. I prefer to reason logically why I think, or why I don't think, something is right or wrong and look at it objectivly instead of appealing to emotional responses.

So personally, I'd say they're pretty upsetting videos and they wont benefit you, you're already vegetarian and ifyou're thinking about veganism look at the facts and arguments instead of upsetting yourself over a video showing animal cruelty. That's just my 0.02p.
#13 Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 14, and just watched it recently. I didn't cry until the dolphin part, but I was on the verge the whole time. It's really depressing, but true and hard-hitting. It makes you realize how much being veg*n makes sense; it helps you stay on track and everything. I don't have any doubts about my choice to go vegan now, that's for sure.

Earthlings is a movie every omni should definitely watch. Most veg*ns already get the gist of what's going on, obviously, but there really isn't harm in reinforcing your beliefs.

Of course, I could hardly sleep that night after watching it. I kept thinking of the pork roll, chicken nuggets, and ground beef in the refrigerator.
#14 Old 07-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

This film is a must see for all humans. I have it but could never watch it again.
#15 Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM

i saw it, i just watched it today. It is very gory, im not going to lie. It's sickening and rather depressing. But i swear it is such a wake up call. if your a vegetarian, it will make you be vegan. its awful, but it helped me at the same time. im 15 by the way.
#16 Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm 15, but I would say "see it".

I actually saw it for the first time a few days ago (though I was a vegan 9 months beforehand).

I can only compare it to Food, inc., which honestly looks more like a childrens movie after seeing Earthlings.

The reason I say "watch it" though, is because I think it's important. And it's nothing none of my piers couldn't handle. I admit, it's definitely riveting, and it's something you want to watch alone, simply because you want time to reflect upon it.

Minimally though, at least watch the Food and Clothing section, because those are obviously the most applicable to daily life.
#17 Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive seen it. It is pretty hard to watch but it is importnant

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
#18 Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 AM

I haven't seen it because I am vegetarian so it is not necessary for me to see Earthlings.
And I know it is not in France maybe US or UK (I don't know) so it is not necessary to see it for me ! I am sorry for animals because I think it is horrible !
#19 Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 PM

i just finished watching it. i puked in my mouth at least 5 times!!
#20 Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw it when I was 16, and I cried quite a bit. I think it's something that EVERYONE - Omni, vegan, young, old, from the US or elsewhere - should watch at least once. It sends a very powerful and motivating message and is a serious wake-up call. I went from vegetarian to activist after watching it, and I highly suggest you watch it too.
#21 Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 AM

#22 Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM

I've merely seen some extracts of this movie and was really shocked. Always tried to watch the whole film but always when it was loading I closed the window. Maybe I'd watch it in full length when my parents are content to watch it with me because they're still omni even if they toy with the idea to get ovo-lacto-vegetarian (but don't hold your breath...).

I would find it better if the film would be uncommented - or even the processes would be described (with some statistics, too) because the pictures speak for themselves, but that's only my subjective opinion - because I think that that would be more thought-provoking and ititiate to investigate more and even more individual.

All in all the movie - inasmuch as I am able to gage it - shows the cruelest extends and chasms of human being in its entirety. Plain sad...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page