Omni Parents - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 PM

I understand how you feel completely!
I was lucky enough my parents allowed me to becone a vegetarian. I guess now im pressing my luck wanting to be a vegan. how did u get your parents to let you become vegan? also im one of 7 kids....the only vegetarian one. I eat mostly vegan. but they dont understand I have to explain it every day! what do you say to people like that!? they arebt reapectful at all. they run sterotypes left and right!
but sorry I ranted! lol just know you definitly are not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM

My omni parents doubted I would go through with it when I decided to go vegetarian 5 years ago. But I proved them wrong and though they never supported it, they accepted it. But now that I'm VEGAN it's been a different story. At first they wouldn't support me financially so I'd have to scrounge on crackers and put up with my mom's biting comments. My siblings would try to "call me out" on my beliefs and make me seem like a hypocrite. Even if my point was clear, well delivered, and more effective it didn't matter. I was always the drama queen. Now my parents at least let me go shopping for vegan food so I can fend for myself a bit better. It can be frustrating and outcasting sometimes.

#33 Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

At first my mom went ballistic because I just did it without a single comment about it. Like, I'm old enough to do what I want and I don't want a confrontation.
Took her a week to figure it out. Went to a steak house and she figured something was up when I might have been glaring at the menu because the only remotely vegetarian thing on there was a baked potatoe and salad. ANYWAY, she said "you haven't got much protein."
I listed everything I had eaten in the past 7 days that contained protein that shut her up right then and there. 6 months is about how long it took her to get a clue: I'm a stubborn person when it comes to my morals. a REALLY stubborn person.
Now, she'll say stuff every so often and I'll either glare at her or say something that makes her have to think because she doesn't get it.
She said "hot dogs" and "corn dogs" were different because you couldn't see the meat inside one. *face-palm*
My dad is too laid back to say much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM

My mom is totally supportive of my being vegetarian. For some reason, one of my two sisters is the only one who seems to have a problem with it. She thinks I should just be vegetarian for a year and then go back to eating meat. She said something about it being inconvenient for everyone and expensive. I don't see how buying vegetables and fruit instead of like hamburgers and meat and stuff is really inconvenient and expensive but. And like I would start eating meat again just because she said that. I won't partake in the suffering and killing of animals just because it's "inconvenient" for her. Seriously. Anyway, despite her (selfish) wishes, I don't plan on ever going back to eating meat. Sorry that it got a bit ranty here haha.
Anyway, I do want to go vegan, though, and my mom is a bit hesitant on that. She would support me, I think, but there is a lot of food I eat that I wouldn't be able to anymore (like a lot) so it's kind of really weird to her. I think once I do become vegan and she sees that I can be completely healthy and such and have a lot of delicious food without having any animal products, she will be fine with it. She really just cares about my health. Right now, though, she sort of wants me to stay just a vegetarian.
When I do become a vegan, I really don't know how the rest of my family will react when they find out. Hopefully it all works out.
P.S. I forgot to mention that there are like a lot of people in my family and in our family friends who can't even begin to understand the concept. Like one time we were visiting a family who we're good friends with, and I couldn't eat anything there. It's like a thing with Mexican/Mexican-Americans where they (we? idk I'm really white washed) feed you when you come over to their house. It's like a manners thing and sort of a culture thing or something. But anyway, the only thing I could eat was some tortilla chips and a coke because what they were serving had beef or chicken. So my mom and I tried to explain to them why I wasn't really eating anything (I think it's considered rude to not eat the food they serve, I'm not sure), but they didn't get it. The mom was just like, "Oh, okay, so she's on a diet." I don't think she's ever heard of a vegetarian or vegan before. I guess I can't really blame her, but it was frustrating and a bit maddening to have her just sort of write it off as a diet because that is how she said it. Anyway yeah. Sorry for the rambling haha.

Last edited by theheadandtheheart; 06-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.
#35 Old 07-16-2014, 04:14 AM

I Wanted to be vegetarian since age of 5. However my parents wouldnt let me. My mom became a half vegetarian who still eats meat socially and fish. So they let me become a full out herbavore. Not that they could have stopped me in these later years. My dad still eats meat and respects my decision. (He was veggie for 9 years but his body couldnt handle it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page