School Lunch - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM

This will be my first schoolyear as a vegetarian, so i am wondering about lunch. I am not confident of my school in the lunch department, there is no vegetarian main courses EVER except the very very occasional veggie burger (which i wouldnt eat anyway, our school food is disgusting) and some sorry iceberg salad. so what do you pack in your lunch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 AM

I would like to know that to. Since I will be a senior next year. And it will be my first year as a vegan to.
#3 Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

For lunch I usually pack some soy yoghurt (Blueberry soy yoghurt from "Soy Life" I swear it's the best yoghurt I've ever had! ), a vegan cupcake, a couple of vegan cookies or something along those lines for a bit of a snack.

For lunch I usually pack a salad roll, peanut butter sandwich or leftovers from whatever I had for dinner the night before!

I hope I was of some help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't tend to pack lunch, but I do then get stuck in a rut eating the same things at school every day...

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ has lots of ideas - it has pictures (and tells you what is in it) of a mum creating lunches for her son for... however long. They are obviously aimed at a young child but with different portion sizes etc there is no reason why they wouldn't work for an older person.
#5 Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

My school doesn't offer veg friendly entrees either...with the exception of some junky iceberg lettuce. Am I the only one that hates iceberg lettuce? Its like crunching on water! Anywho, back to the question. My lunches are pretty basic. I pack pb&j on lite wheat bread, a piece of fruit or sometimes can of fruit, and a cereal bar of some type such as Luna, Kashi &c. Because of my schedule my lunch was really early last year and will be again this year (10:15, that is like breakfast time!) and this lunch gets me through until I get home.
#6 Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Lunch pretty much always consists of:
  • Sandwich OR Pasta/Rice/Buckwheat/Quinoa etc. salad or with leftovers
  • Piece of fruit
  • Snack (couple of crackers or rice cakes, plain or with jam or chutney/pot of soy yoghurt/ready-made savory bagged snack etc.)

Sanwhiches which often feature in lunch (on wholewheat bread/roll/pitta/wrap):
  • Peanut butter and jam
  • Peanut butter and grated carrot, sometimes with marmite too.
  • Homemade hummous (or shop bought if you prefer) with veg- lettuce, grated carrot, tomato and cucumber are all good.
  • Quorn deli slices with lettuce, tahini and chutney or salsa
  • Veggie burger or sausages (cooked then cooled) with toppings of choice (salsa/lettuce/ketchup/chutney etc.)

Pasta salads are just wholewheat or sometimes gluten-free pasta with cooked or raw veggies and either tofu, hummous or quorn chicken pieces, with a bit of olive oil or egg-free mayo if I have it.

Sometimes I take pasta with leftover chilli, curry or bolognaise sauce.

Brown Rice/Buckwheat/Quinoa salads and dishes are similar to the pasta ones, with veggies and oftens some beans/tofu/quorn.
#7 Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM

my lunch can range from a variety of foods. these are just some examples:

soy nuggets

tortilla wrap w/tofurky slices and lettuce, mustard ,ect.

pasta salad w/cubed tofu and italian dressing

my own version of vegan chicken salad which is crushed soy nuggets, vegan mayo, celery and black pepper

or just leftovers from dinner that are reheated and wrapped in foil

I hope some of these ideas help, most of these lunches usually get me through to the end of the day but its not a bad ideas to pack some extra snacks if your going to be staying longer after school for a sport or club. Usually an apple or banana is the most convenient snack for me or even some crackers.
#8 Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of my usuals are:

- peanut butter & jam sandwich

- veg*n chili (i like Amy's medium with vegetables)

- a nice big salad with tons of fresh veggies, some crackers with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

- a sandwich with Tofutti BTCC, cucumber, tomato, and some basil

- chickpea and veggie salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing

- cheeseless pizza (there's a pizza place near my school that sells vegan pizza)

- a pita stuffed with sprouts, hummus, and maybe some carrot shavings

- hummus with pita slices or pita chips

- any leftovers (from last night's dinner or from a restaurant)

- peanut butter and banana sandwich with a drizzle of agave nectar

- samosas or any other Indian food with a salad (yum!)

- soy yogurt and granola

Just so you know, I haven't had many problems with people being against my veganism. Usually people are like, "Wow! You always have such a good lunch!" The best is when everyone else is eating chips, ice cream, and fried/ packaged/ McDonald's foods and you're sitting there eating a spinach salad with hemp seeds - the look on everyone's face is priceless!
#9 Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

I'm a lazy vegetarian bum, so I don't make my lunch... but my mom does . She's great, let me tell you. I usually get a sandwich/ salad/ leftovers, veg*n friendly snacks, fruit, and sometimes even a smoothie.. yum !

My sandwiches usually consist of...

- Peanut butter and pickle (it is a fantastic combo, but keep the pickles separate because they get your bread soggy... bleh)

- Vegan cheese and vegetarian meats

- A pita bread filled with yummy hummus and tofurky

- Sprouts and vegan cream cheese

Or a salad, which definitely is not just iceberg lettuce. I dislike lettuce on it's own, I don't think the taste is good. If you load it up with yummy fruits and vegetables, people usually end up asking to have a bite. It isn't my favourite thing, but I will definitely eat it.

My school is definitely not veg*n friendly, but I really don't mind. Lunches in our schools caf cost at least 7 dollars, and I really don't think they are that great.
#10 Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

I know I did not start the question. But I was wondering the same thing as Sgt.Pepper. So thanks for giving some great ideas everyone. I have an idea in mind for when school starts.
#11 Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM

^ what they said!

Thanks everybody!
#12 Old 08-01-2009, 05:10 PM

I always carry some extra nuts, just in case I get hungry.

Otherwise I tend to pack something like a piece of wholemeal bread or a soy yogurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page