Has anyone here brought up healthy vegan children? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I mean totally vegan, like no slipping them animal produce every so often. Have you brought up a child, as a vegan, who was and has remained healthy (and who you have confirmed the health of on visits to the doctor)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think there's any way to guarantee that a child raised vegan by its parents was 100% completely vegan its entire childhood... unless said child was locked in a room somewhere where only the parents would feed it ever.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Beginner

My daughter is 17 months old and has been vegan since birth. She's been pretty healthy so far. Her doctor was very impressed with her diet and I'd say compared to other children I know she's definitely much healthier.

I'd say as long as you're making sure your child gets a well balanced diet then they'll be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I know there is a section under relationships & family about raising veg children. Maybe you can ask/browse there? I've seen some people post there whose kids are vegan from birth.
#5 Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Beginner

http://www.greenandcrunchy.blogspot.com/

This blog is very interesting.
#6 Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

I know there is a section under relationships & family about raising veg children. Maybe you can ask/browse there?

I've moved the thread.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

I mean totally vegan, like no slipping them animal produce every so often. Have you brought up a child, as a vegan, who was and has remained healthy (and who you have confirmed the health of on visits to the doctor)?

Would you like to compare those numbers to the parents who have brought their children totally meater, like no slipping them plant foods every so often?

Cause if so, I'd be eversointerested in seeing the the results of who was and has remained healthy (as confirmed the health via visits to a doctor)
#8 Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

Would you like to compare those numbers to the parents who have brought their children totally meater, like no slipping them plant foods every so often?

Cause if so, I'd be eversointerested in seeing the the results of who was and has remained healthy (as confirmed the health via visits to a doctor)

Not exactly. I'd like to find out if it's actually healthy to bring up vegan kids. Statistics can say all they want, but I'd rather from people who have actually done it.
#9 Old 06-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that the younger Phoenix children, who are now adults, were raised completely vegan from birth. I believe that Summer Phoenix, mother of two, was a vegan from birth, and that her children are both vegan from birth, as Summer and her partner, Casey Affleck, are both vegans.

i might also point to Rain Phoenix's son, Rio, born after River's death (1993 i believe), was also raised completely vegan, and Liberty Phoenix's children also. i think Rio would be at least in his early teens by now.

so, there's a family that you can look to, i guess.
#10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.thegardendiet.com/

This family is totally raw vegan and they are some of the healthiest people I've ever seen.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this isn't QUITE what you asked, but for what it's worth, my middle "sprout" (15 yrs) has been totally vegetarian/mostly vegansince birth (some lacto-ovo when away from my cooking) and she's very healthy and always has been, as evidenced by physical check-ups from her Doctor. I don't particularly think it's the occasional cheese on her pizza keeping her "healthy" either.

Is she "more" or "less" healthy than her older and younger siblings who have chosen to eat meat (once a month or less, when with their Dad)? I really couldn't say, they've always been very healthy too.

Sorry, I guess none of that helps your survey. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.
#12 Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM

I need to post/
#13 Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Beginner

Well, if you're insisting on anecdotal evidence, I was brought up almost completely vegan from birth. I say "almost" because my mother is a honey-consuming-vegan. I myself stopped consuming honey at 12 or so.

As to whether I'm healthy, well, I'm biased on the subject. In the absence of a full medical assessment, it's unknown.
#14 Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Beginner

My Grandchildren are being raised Vegan, Jenna is 14 months old and Jonathon is 3 months old, Jenna has never been sick yet. she is a very active happy little girl with an abundance of curiosity and energy. Jonathon the baby was born premature but is doing very well so far on his soy formula. I do worry that Jenna gets fed enough to develop healthy. Sometimes it can be hard to get children to eat LOTS of fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds.

I also have a question...what is a good vitamin supplement for a year old vegan child? I want to buy some for my grandkids, I am very proud of my sons for being vegan and raising their kids vegan, thanks
#15 Old 07-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasass View Post

My Grandchildren are being raised Vegan, Jenna is 14 months old and Jonathon is 3 months old, Jenna has never been sick yet. she is a very active happy little girl with an abundance of curiosity and energy. Jonathon the baby was born premature but is doing very well so far on his soy formula. I do worry that Jenna gets fed enough to develop healthy. Sometimes it can be hard to get children to eat LOTS of fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds.

I also have a question...what is a good vitamin supplement for a year old vegan child? I want to buy some for my grandkids, I am very proud of my sons for being vegan and raising their kids vegan, thanks

Well, my sons are on this: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000672.html

It says "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" on the box. But you should probably consult a doctor first, to rule out any possibility of overdosing on any of the vitamins.
#16 Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Carmine

Friends of mine raised their children vegan, or at least that is what they ate at home when small. The children are all grown now. One ate a lot of hamburgers and tacos as a teenager, whenever he was away from home and parents! He is now back to being a vegetarian. None of them continued to be vegan after leaving home.
#17 Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDratini View Post

...honey-consuming-vegan...

There's no such thing :P
#18 Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

My two kids, who are 3 and 5, have both been vegan since before conception through pregnanancy, and now are kids. No honey. No slip-ups (other than once eating some M&M's my FIL gave them ).

They are healthy. At least says our pediatricians. Then again, they are biased, since one of them is vegan too. But I'll take their healthy assesment any day.
#19 Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

There's no such thing :P

How about honey-consuming-"vegan" then? Although, I thought I'd already termed the inclusion of honey (presupposing all other animal products to be excluded) as an almost vegan diet, rather than a vegan diet.
#20 Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post

http://www.greenandcrunchy.blogspot.com/

This blog is very interesting.

i absolutely LOVE her blog!!! my favorite out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page