what to do with 9 yr olds--no car, no money! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

when I was 9, my friends and I nailed a few boards to a tree, to climb up on a really nice big thick limb to sit on, and any of us could go there and hang out or read....I loved that tree!

Why are the kids so opposed to doing so many things? When I was a kid, I was outside all summer long, and knew when I had to be home for dinner. I wore a watch, and the group of friends I ran with, were in and out of each other's houses or in the fields all day long!

Are you in a suburb, city, or the country? They have skateboards and bikes, but don't like to use them? Or they don't like kids around them?

It sounds like you have your hands full. Hopefully as twins, when they get older, they'll appreciate each other more, and enjoy spending time together.

thats exactly what i did with my friends when i was 9. they just dont have friends here as all of the kids are in daycare/sitter all day pretty much every day. its just the two of them. we are in an affluent suburb, they would love for other kids to be around, there just arent any kids. they do use their bikes but there isnt anywhere to ride them except around the ghost town we live in and they get bored with that. my daughter just got her skateboard and will practice with it but that only takes up so much time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

one other thing......since you have internet service, have you looked up children's activities, esp for homeschooled kids????

There are tons of sites out there. Even if they aren't home schooled, the sites are geared toward learning at home, and projects would be cheap, and you could see what other parents are doing with their kids. My friend homeschools, and I know she looks at stuff like that all the time.

Give that a try.....there has to be something that you can get them interested in.

how about basketball, or dodgeball, or kick the can games, or set up an obstical course?

Teach your daughter how to change the oil in the vehicle, and teach your son how to knit/crochet/ or sew.

What about music appreciation? YOu can listen to different music stations right on the radio....listen to classical, country, jazz, or whatever, and do some music drills with pencils, like drumming, or have them write down what they feel when they listen to a certain type of music. You could have kareoke night (I know that's spelled wrong....) and let them lip synch to the music.

What about sleep overs with movies, or for your son, to watch a big game on TV with some guy friends?

i will check out homeschooling sites.

they dont like sports and tend to fight when we try to get them to shoot hoops/play badmitten etc. i dont know how to change oil or knit so someone would have to teach me!

karaoke night might work as they listen to a variety of music and like when we have dance parties.

sleep overs arent an option as they dont have friends, plus we dont have stuff to keep ours occupied and other kids who have more things b/c their parents have far more money would be bored to tears. doesnt matter tho as there arent other kids. as i said, they hate sports, none of us watch sports.

there arent any guy friends or girlfriends--really--none.
#33 Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

dang! I can't even imagine how that must be for them, if there really is no one then.

When they are in school, do they talk to other kids?

Would it be possible to ask the parents of one or two kids, to not go to childcare, and spend the day with you?

I really don't know what else to suggest.....I do know though, that if my 16 yr old had her phone taken away from her, she'd be lost....we've done that a few times, and it's effective punishment.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

dang! I can't even imagine how that must be for them, if there really is no one then.

When they are in school, do they talk to other kids?

Would it be possible to ask the parents of one or two kids, to not go to childcare, and spend the day with you?

I really don't know what else to suggest.....I do know though, that if my 16 yr old had her phone taken away from her, she'd be lost....we've done that a few times, and it's effective punishment.

it really is awful for them--i feel so bad. they are very social at school and are well liked by anyone that meets them. they are well mannered (except to each other!) and funny kids.

lots of the kids are in after school activites--way overscheduled--these are activities that right now, we cannot afford. we have tried contacting parents to get the kids together but they never have time--its soo frustrating!!!
#35 Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

it really is awful for them--i feel so bad. they are very social at school and are well liked by anyone that meets them. they are well mannered (except to each other!) and funny kids.

lots of the kids are in after school activites--way overscheduled--these are activities that right now, we cannot afford. we have tried contacting parents to get the kids together but they never have time--its soo frustrating!!!

I'm sorry they don't have any friends. I know what you mean about the typical overscheduled rich kids though, I partly grew up in a neighbourhood like that (but I wasn't raised that way...). When I would get back to school after March break *gasp!* without a tan, I would get bombarded with questions on why I didn't go to Tahiti or St. Maarten like everyone else. It was just unfathomable to these girls that these kinds of vacations were a luxury and that not everyone went on them. Parents of the younger kids typically have them scheduled in so many activities that they need agendas, and if they have more than one child, they have at least 2 full time, sometimes live-in, nannies, who even spend time with the kids on the weekends. So, I know where you're coming from.

However, maybe this is an opportunity for you to find friends for them. There has got to be a way. I doubt that all children's activities at the Y would require you to be there, since they are 9 after all. I just think it would be unfortunate if they continued not to have any friends to spend time with outside of school. I'm sure you can come up with a solution. Just be positive and give things a chance.
#36 Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLashedVeg View Post

I'm sorry they don't have any friends. I know what you mean about the typical overscheduled rich kids though, I partly grew up in a neighbourhood like that (but I wasn't raised that way...). When I would get back to school after March break *gasp!* without a tan, I would get bombarded with questions on why I didn't go to Tahiti or St. Maarten like everyone else. It was just unfathomable to these girls that these kinds of vacations were a luxury and that not everyone went on them. Parents of the younger kids typically have them scheduled in so many activities that they need agendas, and if they have more than one child, they have at least 2 full time, sometimes live-in, nannies, who even spend time with the kids on the weekends. So, I know where you're coming from.

However, maybe this is an opportunity for you to find friends for them. There has got to be a way. I doubt that all children's activities at the Y would require you to be there, since they are 9 after all. I just think it would be unfortunate if they continued not to have any friends to spend time with outside of school. I'm sure you can come up with a solution. Just be positive and give things a chance.

yeah--its really sickening. having a babysitter to help the nanny?--i see ads for this all the time in my area.

i too think it would be unfortunate for them to keep not having friends. once my husband is employed we can put them in classes--they want to swim again. right now tho, we just cant afford the classes.

we have tried to think of ways for them to be able to be around other kids but are coming up empty. we are positive people, but thats not producing friends!

right now, my husband is taking them to a pool. he encourages them to talk to other kids but they dont and i dont get it as they are not shy. hopefully my husband will be working soon and we can get another car and get them on a swim team.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page