Childrens Vegetarian Birthday Party! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Dishonesty is dishonesty... Not to mention most kids will know the difference and won't appreciate the attempt at being duped. As a kid I could tell when someone gave me a different brand of ketchup let alone the difference between meat and soy.

Unless you're saying: "WARNING!! WARNING!! THIS IS NOT REAL FLESH!!!!!!" I guess you're "lying" now. I don't think serving your normal food is dishonesty. I guess it depends on how you're attributing motivation. I personally am not suspicious that people are trying to be "dishonest" when they serve the normal food they would eat without making a big production out of the ingredients, unless they know I'm allergic to something or have some ethical issue with it.

I guess someone "fooled" you by giving you Heinz when you were expecting Dole ketchup. And man, how did you feel when you realized that McDonald's milkshakes (if you ever had them) hardly resemble what most would consider a milkshake? Or that you ate a burger that had soy extender in it? Once I had a cake that tasted like a "normal" cake that actually had avocado in it. I guess I was "duped."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I don't think it's a lie to offer some veggieburger without explicitly specifying "no flesh in here".

Exactly.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE}You could always do veggie "hot dogs". The taste is not convincing, but once you put condiments on it's all the same.[/QUOTE]

Actually the taste is pretty comparable. That's what we had for my daughter's 11th birthday and no one noticed anything. She told them later and they couldn't believe it! Also, I don't see anything dishonest about it. There are all kinds of hot dogs. Rarely would someone tell you "this is a beef hot dog". It's just a hot dog. Actually one of the girls did ask if it was pork (which she can't eat for religious reasons). I said no and that was that.
#33 Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansarefruit View Post

If you think the "home made veggie sushi rolls, filled with carrot, red and yellow peppers and cucumber and pickled plum and soy to dip them in.

Cucumder sandwiches cut into shapes flowers, stars and moons. I just use some small metal pastry cuttters and they look so pretty" constitutes party food that is appreciated by most parents or kids, then we just have no common ground for a discussion.

I quite vividly remember having/going to parties where the served sandwhiches with veggies like cucumber in them and no meat (despite being an omni as a child), and maybe not sushi seeing as that wasn't 'in' back then but fruit and veggie platters etc. And I remember loooving these kinds of foods, my sister, brother and I could quite happily tuck into some carrots and apples. Yet I don't consider my family life to have been very healthy at all... our dinners always consisted of meat, potato and a veg. So it wasn't like I was an unusual omni child by any means. Party food is all about making it look appetising and yummy and special. Some thing that makes the kids think... 'awww coool', or 'yummy' will make them want to eat it. Of course there will always be exceptions to this, but hey you can't please everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana in IN View Post

Actually the taste is pretty comparable. That's what we had for my daughter's 11th birthday and no one noticed anything. She told them later and they couldn't believe it! Also, I don't see anything dishonest about it. There are all kinds of hot dogs. Rarely would someone tell you "this is a beef hot dog". It's just a hot dog. Actually one of the girls did ask if it was pork (which she can't eat for religious reasons). I said no and that was that.

Which brand do you use? I have yet to try a veggie dog that was remotely edible.
#35 Old 01-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansarefruit View Post

If you think the "home made veggie sushi rolls, filled with carrot, red and yellow peppers and cucumber and pickled plum and soy to dip them in.

Cucumder sandwiches cut into shapes flowers, stars and moons. I just use some small metal pastry cuttters and they look so pretty" constitutes party food that is appreciated by most parents or kids, then we just have no common ground for a discussion.

As someone else noted, cheese pizza with sauce would go over well, but expecting to cover it with cauliflower and broccoli and call it a treat is expecting a bit much.

You can keep the food simple and reasonably healthy without becoming the nutty vegetarian family that comes across as obsessive. It is a party after all. The food is to be a pleasure for the guests, not a message from the host.

I have to say i dissagree. My daughter wanted a fairy party including fairy food and dressing up as fairies. She and her friends were thrilled to find all the sandwiches cut into shapes flowers ect, after all what do fairies eat.

My oldest and his friends are all into manga and Japeness culture in a big way so them the sushi is an ideal party food.

I'm neither obbsessive or a health nut, I just enjoy doing what my children want, after all it is their birthday.
#36 Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Which brand do you use? I have yet to try a veggie dog that was remotely edible.

We've tried them all but we always come back to Morningstar. My daughter and niece don't even put them on a bun or dip them in anything. They eat them just straight. Neither of them are vegetarians and eat meat hot dogs at school so it isn't as if they don't know what a "real" hot dog tastes like.

It may just be something that you don't like though. A lot of processed foods will have a certain flavor that some people don't like and others don't even notice!
#37 Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM

It's funny how many people say you can't lie about fake meat. This is what is given to Americans everyday when they buy ground meat and fast food; fake, poisonous "meat".

We are having our daughters 10th bday party soon so I did a search do what to serve. This site didnt help much. We can't choose one day to support animal torture so our party will be all organic and vegan. We just don't j ow what yet.
#38 Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysveganlife View Post

It's funny how many people say you can't lie about fake meat. This is what is given to Americans everyday when they buy ground meat and fast food; fake, poisonous "meat".

We are having our daughters 10th bday party soon so I did a search do what to serve. This site didnt help much. We can't choose one day to support animal torture so our party will be all organic and vegan. We just don't j ow what yet.
Here's a couple of links. Have fun at the party! smiley.gif
http://www.vegblogger.com/blog/2012/08/vegan-party-food-my-sons-6th-birthday-party.html

http://livelearnloveeat.com/2010/10/09/eco-friendly-birthday-party-tips-and-vegan-fondant-birthday-cake/

http://www.vegsource.com/jess-parsons/happy-vegan-birthday.html
#39 Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysveganlife View Post

I've thrown a couple all vegan food birthday parties for my kids.

For my son, twice, we had a giant table full of appetizers - hummus and baked pita chips, homemade salsa and guacamole and tortilla chips, veggie and fruit tray, vegan french onion dip and bread cubes, etc... We also sang happy birthday and had cupcakes- not one person questioned anything was vegan!

For my daughter we had a big outdoor party in our backyard. I made a huge meal, baked ziti with meatless crumbles, a big tossed salad, fresh baked bread, fruit salad, and we ordered cheese-less veggie pizzas from a local place that doesn't have dairy in the crust or sauce. I baked a big cake too. Again, nobody even blinked about the food and I didn't say anything either. I even got compliments!

I really like the appetizer and cupcakes idea though. Its the easiest party to throw. I just time it from 2-5pm and then nobody will be expecting a full meal. You can make all the dips and trays ahead of time and just set it out when it is party time. That was more fun than my daughter's party, because I could take the time to enjoy my son's party and being with him on his birthday more. My daughter's party I was cooking more in the kitchen during the party.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#40 Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM

I am not a fan of fake meat anyway, it tastes gross and it takes away from wholesome cooked food.

How about these as finger foods

Toasted pitta cut into strips with dips
Falafel fingers
Fruity rice salad
Crunchy veg dippers
Cheese and pineapple (oldy but a goody)
Mini mushroom and bean burgers!
Onion bajhees (spelling error sorry)
Quiche (endless veg possibilities to fill)
Honey glazed corn on the cob
Sesame bread sticks
Apple and raisin mini muffins
Jelly tubs (veg obviously)

Most of the recipes you can get off the net. Bulk up with lovely sandwiches (sliced banana and chopped dried apricot 'buttered' with cream cheese is a firm fave in our house)

Hopefully this has given you some ideas.

These are from Baby and Child Veg Recipes by Carol Timperley. It has been a godsend in our house.
#41 Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuh View Post

I am not a fan of fake meat anyway, it tastes gross and it takes away from wholesome cooked food.

How about these as finger foods

Toasted pitta cut into strips with dips
Falafel fingers
Fruity rice salad
Crunchy veg dippers
Cheese and pineapple (oldy but a goody)
Mini mushroom and bean burgers!
Onion bajhees (spelling error sorry)
Quiche (endless veg possibilities to fill)
Honey glazed corn on the cob
Sesame bread sticks
Apple and raisin mini muffins
Jelly tubs (veg obviously)

Most of the recipes you can get off the net. Bulk up with lovely sandwiches (sliced banana and chopped dried apricot 'buttered' with cream cheese is a firm fave in our house)

Hopefully this has given you some ideas.

These are from Baby and Child Veg Recipes by Carol Timperley. It has been a godsend in our house.
Some of these aren't vegan, but I think this thread is a little confusing, as the original question was asked years ago about a vegetarian party, but then bumped asking for vegan birthday party ideas. smiley.gif
#42 Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM

My bad, I didn't read the thread all the way through. :-)
#43 Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuh View Post

My bad, I didn't read the thread all the way through. :-)
You had some great ideas! smiley.gif
#44 Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Old thread but since it's being revived...

For my son's last party we served vegan cheese pizza (daiya) and snacks (pretzels, chips, veggies, fruit). At the end of the party ALL the food was gone. Seriously.

Before that, we just did snacks (dried fruit, crackers, fresh veggies and dip, etc) and the vegan cake.

At his next party I think I will arrange for more variety but it's mostly going to be whatever my son wants to eat.

Throwing a vegan party is usually no problem. There are plenty of options and if you're not shy about being vegan then people know to expect vegan food. The good thing is everyone can eat vegan food like fresh fruit and veggies. And I always try to schedule kid's parties at non-meal times because the party shouldn't be about the food, it should be about fun and games for the kids. That way, too, you can avoid most food issues.

The bigger issue is attending other kids birthday parties. We went to one recently thrown by an ex-vegan. She asked me before the event if we wanted special vegan food but I was kind of offended because I didn't think I should have to request it. She invited us and she knows we're vegan and if she wanted to be a good host then she'd just have something vegan without having to ask. If she wasn't ex-vegan I would have just said "Oh yes, please. We'd love something vegan." or "No problem, we'll just bring something ourselves." But she's ex-vegan so she knows how to make something for us and she knows we want it. Well I didn't respond to her question because honestly I didn't know how to respond. So we just attended the party. Nothing was even vegetarian! WTF? She's apparently totally EX-vegan now, like anti-vegan. Plus the party attendees were a homogenous group - no one of color except our son. We live in a place that is diverse, so a party that is all one race is kind of deliberate. AND then she had a photographer taking photos and she put them all up on facebook without any parent's permission - with the kids' names attached too! I was so miffed. We're not really friends anymore. I will be polite but we won't go to her parties or invite her to ours. Clearly, we have different ideas of what is considerate behavior.

Anyway, as a general rule I think it's a good idea for vegan parents to just bring their own food for their kids just in case the party host doesn't offer anything vegan.

#45 Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM

My kids (7.5, 5, almost 3) have been vegetarians their whole lives and vegans for the last 2. 

We make sure to schedule the party at a time when snack foods are appropriate, because I don't even feel like dealing with coming up with a meal that would be acceptable to my ILs. Typically we'll have crackers, pretzels, broccoli, baby carrots, and hummus for snack foods and then also a vegan cake and coconut (or soy) milk ice cream sandwiches (think So Delicious or Tofutti brand). For drinks, we'll have water, lemonade, and some kind of kid drink. The last birthday we got a couple of boxes of Honest Kids drink pouch things. 

I have never had anyone complain that our food isn't junky enough or that it's not good.

#46 Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

A birthday party for kids should be fun! How about make your own pretzels & build your own veggie tacos and/or veggie tortilla pizzas and create fruit kabobs with fun fruit shapes including star fruit .... puree some fruits for dips and at the end serve birthday cupcakes that kids can decorate with fruits like blue berries, strawberries .... watermelon punch and lemonade and perhaps a pinata filled with stickers, small picture books and crayons smiley.gif
#47 Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

* vegan cupcakes / I did not specify sorry I only eat cupcakes that are vegan to me they are just fabulous and healthy a true cupcake Lol smiley.gif
#48 Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

you know what is an extreme success at kids gatherings?

frozen melon balls with popsicle sticks in them. I picked this one up off pinterest, and used it for some recent small get togethers. All eaten and compliments all around. smiley.gif

We should have a sticky for Kid's party ideas, I like this thread.

Schuh and Snarflopteryx like this.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page