Vegetarian Baby? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM

My son is 9 months old and I do want him to make his own choice eventually about being Veg, but out of curiosity, can babies at his age be healthy without meat in their diet? Alot of the baby food has little protein unless it's got meat in it. I have been making alot of my own baby food, mostly because I don't like all the preservatives and stuff in the storebought kinds. I haven't stopped giving him the regular baby food with meat in it because I'm worried about his growth and early development; especially brain development.

Again, this is mostly out of curiosity, but if I learn something new... who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

of course they can! look at all the bajillions of babies in india who don't eat meat for religious reasons. they all turn into adults.

even the ADA says its ok: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

the vegetarian and vegan societies offer guidelines on food for infants which might also help with your concerns:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/infant.html

http://www.vegansociety.com/people/l...ren/babies.php
#3 Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

my daughter was vegetarian (and still is!) from birth...or conception, if you want to get technical...

at that age, your son will be getting plenty of protein from breastmilk/formula, and nutrition, in general...the baby food is just filler...

later on, adding beans, tofu, seitan and the like to his diet will satisfy the protein requirement...

we did homemade baby food for anna, too...super easy and you can add lots of nutrient-dense foods to the mix that you can't typically find in commercial baby foods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

of course they can! look at all the bajillions of babies in india who don't eat meat for religious reasons. they all turn into adults.

OMG I never thought of it like that. Brill!

I have a friend who has a beautiful and healthy 2yo dollfaced toddler, who has been vegan since birth. Amazing.
#5 Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

my little brother has never had meat (apart from a mouthful of spam once when he was 10- yuck). that and practically all he'd eat until he was about 6 was digestive biscuits with cheese, and apple juice. he's 26 and built like a toilet door now. small people are suprisingly resiliant, i think.
#6 Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Your son definitely does not need meat to be healthy. Any vitamin or nutrient found in meat can be found in other sources. I have a 16 month old vegetarian and he is very healthy. We eat lots of soy products, beans, and eggs. If you really want to give your son the oppurtunity to choose, why feed him meat before he can understand where it came from?
#7 Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Beginner

My kids have never eaten meat of any kind. At 12 and 16, they are healthy, happy, good students, etc. Yes, you can do it. When mine were little, they liked hummus on bread cubes, green peas, etc. I felt better that they were still nursing past 1 year, too.
#8 Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 AM

As mentioned, many babies are vegetarian and vegan, and grow up just fine. You can get protein from plenty of other sources..beans, whole grains, etc. Even Dr. Spock recommends a vegetarian diet!

As for the brain development issue, the key nutrients important for young babies are Essential Fatty Acids, found mostly in nuts, oils and flax (in a vegan diet). However, if you're still breast feeding or using formula, there will be EFA's in there as well.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

I didn't even think of that... *DUH*

Those links were great too. Thank you!
#10 Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a 21 month old. She's never been a good eater, but she did go through a phase of loving strained peas. We had her eating Yo Baby yogurt by 8 months or so, so she got lots of extra protein there, in addition to breastmilk. Our pedi always wanted her to eat "lentils and rice", but our DD has always had a texture issue with food, so if it wasn't liquified food, she wouldn't eat it. But lentils and rice is something you could try, for sure.

You can give them almond milk or soymilk around 11-12 months, I think.

There are lots of choices for protein for a veggie baby.
#11 Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Proud Momma of two veggie kids and they are both doing great! My DD eats a smidge of dairy and an egg or two a week, I was a little nervous when I had her and I knew she could get whatever she needed with that plus other balanced vegan options. My little man is severly allergic to dairy, so he will be my first vegan guy. (we are phasing out eggs) and I have no worries other than making sure that he gets enough essential oils.

if you are breastfeeding keep it up! If you breastfeed until they are two and you won't even have to worry about what food they are eating. My little tongue-tied guy (who is on formula-it was not my first choice thats for damn sure) will be on a mix of formula and soy/rice milk fortified with oils after he turns one. Most kids will still get the lions share of their nutrients from whatever milk they drink until 2 or so.

oh, and for whats its worth, my children will not be allowed to choose meat until they really understand what it comes from. I will not make them accessories to murder until they understand the implications of their choice. You don't have to ever assume that eating meat is the default diet and vegetarinism is the choice. I prefer to think of it as the opposite.
#12 Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM

The best food for a human from 0-3 years old... is mother's breastmilk. You don't have to worry about macronutrients if you feed your kid that kind of perfect food.

PS - I have a 19 year old daughter who was vegetarian from birth. She ate essentially nothing but her mother's milk for the first year of her life, and continued to breastfeed until she was over 4.
#13 Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-troll View Post

oh, and for whats its worth, my children will not be allowed to choose meat until they really understand what it comes from. I will not make them accessories to murder until they understand the implications of their choice. You don't have to ever assume that eating meat is the default diet and vegetarinism is the choice. I prefer to think of it as the opposite.

It is the opposite. If a child understands from a young age that meat comes from animals, they will rarely choose to eat meat.
#14 Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 PM

For what it's worth, I never fed my daughter the meat baby foods and she isn't even vegetarian! The meat baby food just looked so gross to me so I stuck with the vegetable and fruits. She got everything she needed from breast milk and then formula.
#15 Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Why let them make that decision? Why not raise them with your ethics, and let them decide to eat meat if they choose? Just curious.

I have 2 kids...DS is 6 next month, and DD is 2 in April. Niether one of them has ever had meat. They are both healthy, active, growing children. The rule of thumb is .4g of protein per 1 pound of body weight. So, a 20 lb child only needs 8 grams of protein a day...not at all hard to meet that need.
#16 Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermusic View Post

The best food for a human from 0-3 years old... is mother's breastmilk. You don't have to worry about macronutrients if you feed your kid that kind of perfect food.

PS - I have a 19 year old daughter who was vegetarian from birth. She ate essentially nothing but her mother's milk for the first year of her life, and continued to breastfeed until she was over 4.

That's awesome!
#17 Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

Why let them make that decision? Why not raise them with your ethics, and let them decide to eat meat if they choose? Just curious.

I have 2 kids...DS is 6 next month, and DD is 2 in April. Niether one of them has ever had meat. They are both healthy, active, growing children. The rule of thumb is .4g of protein per 1 pound of body weight. So, a 20 lb child only needs 8 grams of protein a day...not at all hard to meet that need.

If the kids are eating solid food (ie not breastmilk) you might also consider a kids chewable vegetarian multivitamin, and perhaps a food-based iron supplement like Floradix.
#18 Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermusic View Post

If the kids are eating solid food (ie not breastmilk) you might also consider a kids chewable vegetarian multivitamin, and perhaps a food-based iron supplement like Floradix.

DS takes a chewable veg friendly multi daily, and DD takes Floradix liquid multi for children. We also have a bottle of Floradix iron. DD is still bfing as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page